We All Knew It

DevsMan84

He's an arrogant douche DJ, I don't think his sexual preference had much bearing on his well-deserved reputation as a locker room cancer.  

Hopefully this thread gets moved to the Political forum, but I disagree with that 100%. What happens if he was closeted, and all of the players were homophobic or "casual homophobic" as the term they are using for locker room jock talk where you say "stop being such a f*g" or "fvck he's gay". If he heard that all the time, he probably felt he didn't need to join in and fake being 1 of the guys (like many do), but actually resented his teammates and didn't want to spend any time with them. We know he got it on the ice from his opponents, but it was probably harder inside a locker room dealing with it (again this is he is actually gay).

Avery gets such a bad rap. He was by no means a "locker room cancer". He just wasn't one of the guys and a bit of a loner. Maybe he had some anger issues dealing with a ton of problems, but his time in Dallas is the most overrated crap ever.

Re:  Sean Avery the player, clearly he could be an annoying douche on the ice (which was his job)...what makes that even worse from a Devils' fan standpoint is that his crap actually used to work at times.  He DID have a way of getting under the Devils' skin, which was more aggravating than Avery himself. 

About his and anyone else's sexuality, I couldn't care less.  There's straight people, bisexual people and gay people.  Always has been, always will be, and the latter two are never going away.  Not sure why anyone would feel the need to judge someone else's lifestyle/preference/whatever you want to call it as "wrong".   

Obviously, there's still a long way to go, in terms of people simply not getting caught up in other people's sexuality, but at least now there's some degree of acceptance/tolerance going.  Would much rather see gay people being able to live their lives as openly as possible, as opposed to not being true to themselves and faking it by marrying someone of the opposite sex just to appease those around them, or simply feeling that they can't or shouldn't ever act on their true preference. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Re:  Sean Avery the player, clearly he could be an annoying douche on the ice (which was his job)...what makes that even worse from a Devils' fan standpoint is that his crap actually used to work at times.  He DID have a way of getting under the Devils' skin, which was more aggravating than Avery himself.

It ABSOLUTELY worked. The Avery years at the New York Rangers were years of embarrassing dominance over the Devils. He got the worst out of all our players and we'd lose. It was embarrassing..

It ABSOLUTELY worked. The Avery years at the New York Rangers were years of embarrassing dominance over the Devils. He got the worst out of all our players and we'd lose. It was embarrassing..

And Clarktard took the bait EVERY time.

Reason # 3245 I will not miss him now that he is in Toronto.

the only reason it's not a big so what -- my dislike of Avery leads me to interpret his being gay (if he is) as the penultimate in narcissism not in any actual sexual preference.  I also dislike dishonesty and his mock coyness is just more of the same from him - it's weak so morally weak, you know?  His inflated opinion of himself and complete lack of modesty, is such an unappealing quality and runs contrary to the "all in fun" take he's promoting on this.

but I do like his support of the LGBT community, whether he's gay or not. If this leads him to focus his assiness towards bigots I'm cool with that - they deserve each other. :evil:

but it still is kind of a big so what  :devil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH......not that there is anything wrong with it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sean-avery-bravo-andy-cohen-respond-engagement-rumor-223400436--nhl.html

I get the Seinfeld reference, but if there truly is nothing wrong with it, why are you laughing your head off?

This, but he hasn't come out. I think they were just having fun with the tabloids. No statement was made. 

Why should anyone have to "come out"?  Why can't people just live their lives without having to make a big old production out of it?

If you hate Sean Avery, why does him possibly being gay make it laugh worthy or "perfect". 

Eggs-actly.

Edited by RowdyFan42

Just because someone says eww or gross doesnt mean theyre being childish, theyre just physically sick by picturing sean avery and andy cohen going at it. As any normal straight person would be in my mind.

Actually, that couldn't be any MORE childish.  If the first -- or only -- thing you think of when the topic of gay men comes up is "two dudes going at it", THAT is childish.  Get your mind out of the damn gutter.  Do you automatically think of sex when somebody mentions lesbians or even straight couples?  And even if you don't think that said reaction is childish, it definitely IS childish to then announce that reaction to the world.

• Like 1

In my opinion, good for them. I got my good feeling when he "retired" from hockey. Otherwise, genuinely happy that he's able to move forward in his life and maybe not be such a prick, since he's no longer hiding in the closet...

Ding ding ding!  Sean Avery may be one of the biggest jerks to ever play the game -- and one wonders how much of that has to do with the psychological pressures of being a closeted gay man in a culture that stereotypically has a problem with homosexuality -- but I truly hope he is finally comfortable in his own skin and has found (or will find) the happiness that has apparently eluded him for a good portion of his life.

I get the Seinfeld reference, but if there truly is nothing wrong with it, why are you laughing your head off?

I really do think nothing is wrong with him being gay. Doesn't affect me in any way.

I was laughing at how most rags fans would vehemently deny him being gay despite the ongoing rumors. Now they have egg on their faces. The other part is that they have for years gone after brodeurs personal life which is really no ones business, now this comes out about Avery which is also no ones business and hopefully they will now shut up about brodeur.

Basically I am just happy as this may finally shut rags fans traps about our players personal lives.

About his and anyone else's sexuality, I couldn't care less.  There's straight people, bisexual people and gay people.  Always has been, always will be, and the latter two are never going away.  Not sure why anyone would feel the need to judge someone else's lifestyle/preference/whatever you want to call it as "wrong".   

Obviously, there's still a long way to go, in terms of people simply not getting caught up in other people's sexuality, but at least now there's some degree of acceptance/tolerance going.  Would much rather see gay people being able to live their lives as openly as possible, as opposed to not being true to themselves and faking it by marrying someone of the opposite sex just to appease those around them, or simply feeling that they can't or shouldn't ever act on their true preference. 

Gay, straight, doesn't matter to me- I still hate that motherfvcker.

Actually, that couldn't be any MORE childish.  If the first -- or only -- thing you think of when the topic of gay men comes up is "two dudes going at it", THAT is childish.  Get your mind out of the damn gutter.  Do you automatically think of sex when somebody mentions lesbians or even straight couples?  And even if you don't think that said reaction is childish, it definitely IS childish to then announce that reaction to the world.

Some combination of all of the above captures my feelings on the subject. I wish we were at a point where we could hate Avery in peace without giving a sh!t about his sexuality. 

Edited by mouse

The problem with this is it's too bad that it has to be Avery who winds up being the first.   You'd sorta rather the first 'openly gay' - if he even chooses to come out formally - pro hockey player be someone that isn't already universally disliked (and one that actually is you know, going to HAVE an NHL career after too).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Actually, that couldn't be any MORE childish. If the first -- or only -- thing you think of when the topic of gay men comes up is "two dudes going at it", THAT is childish. Get your mind out of the damn gutter. Do you automatically think of sex when somebody mentions lesbians or even straight couples? And even if you don't think that said reaction is childish, it definitely IS childish to then announce that reaction to the world.

......yes when gay, lesbian or straight is brought up I do think about sex because that's a SEXUAL preference meaning that person likes having sex with a man, woman, or opposite sex..... I need to clock out on this subject because the over the top political correctness is going to drive me insane. Carlin was right years ago, its the pussification of america and nowadays its at a disgusting extreme. Anytime a gay, racial, or religious joke is made its a crime against humanity. STOP IT. Lol god I miss the days of chappelle show and tough crowd when people could laugh at one another and not get sand in their vageen. Sean avery is gayer than a pink tennis helmet. Its hysterical. Next subject.

I have an uncle whom I love very much. He has a husband, I very much enjoy having him around as well. I find homosexuality rather odd-- I don't enjoy seeing it, talking about it, or hearig about it. To me, it's like watching animals have sex - it happens, I'm not trying to stop it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't churn my stomach.

I think political correctness is horsesh!t. If they are allowed to parade to celebrate their homosexuality, why aren't I allowed to post on an online forum that I find it yucky?

I'm not saying I'm against it. I'm all for gay rights, and even as a relatively devout Christian I find it horrific when people misquote the bible to damn them all to hell. But why am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

Exactly!!!! Its at the point in america now that if you make a racial joke youre a terrible biggot. If you make a gay joke youre a homophob. If you make a religious joke youre a disrespectful piece of sh!t. Political correctness makes me what to puke. No one can have their balls broken anymore. THATS whats childish, that people cant take jokes anymore. They take edgy jokes like a 3rd grader takes a yomamma joke.

Why should anyone have to "come out"?  Why can't people just live their lives without having to make a big old production out of it?

You are right. I wasn't clear. I just don't think from the article, it was clear that he was admitting he was gay or that there was proof that he was. I mean that might have been his statement without making a big production about it. Hard to tell for sure, but I bet he is in a good place now, and that's good. He had a ton of issues playing in the NHL. There was a good chance it had t do with this.

As for the person bringing up the Rangers and Brodeur crap. Everyone has the right to bring up Brodeur's adultery. He's a professional athlete, and it comes with the territory. You don't want this sh!t on you, don't do the act. Not like the Devils fan base is any better and wouldn't attack another star player for a similar indiscretion. I don't know why any Devils fan needs to defend Brodeur, the person. No one really knows him. Defend the goalie all you want. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I have an uncle whom I love very much. He has a husband, I very much enjoy having him around as well. I find homosexuality rather odd-- I don't enjoy seeing it, talking about it, or hearig about it. To me, it's like watching animals have sex - it happens, I'm not trying to stop it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't churn my stomach.

I think political correctness is horsesh!t. If they are allowed to parade to celebrate their homosexuality, why aren't I allowed to post on an online forum that I find it yucky?

I'm not saying I'm against it. I'm all for gay rights, and even as a relatively devout Christian I find it horrific when people misquote the bible to damn them all to hell. But why am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

I'm opposed to a lot of political correctness, but I think the issue (at least mine) is that minorities in this country, especially the queer community, face horrific discrimination, and too often nothing is done about it. You posting your opinion on a message board is harmless, but lots of others take that opinion to the next level (as you mentioned here), and act on it. I personally feel the need to speak up to defend those who are more likely to be victims than me. If that means I'm oversensitive, then so be it.

Also, there's a big difference between making a joke about Avery (who was a joke for years), and making a tasteless blanket statement about an entire group of people. I'm not calling you out at all -- I think everything you have said has been fair -- but other people on this thread have gone farther than you, and people in the real world are worse. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.