Has Adam Larsson really improved?

Derlique

You have the wrong comps here - Larsson is not like any of those guys.  Larsson is going to be a force in the D zone and at shot prevention.  Also all four of those guys are HOF talent, there's a level between that and average player which I feel pretty confident that Larsson will hit.

Compare these guys' 18-19 year old season to Larsson's.

Karlsson wasn't in the league

Doughty- 6-21-27 in 81

Pietrangelo wasn't in the league

Subban wasn't an NHL player until he was 21

A LOT can happen in 2 years for a young defenseman

Edit- I believe Larsson will end up a lot like Pitkanen

Edited by SMantzas

personally while i agree that he improved i still havent seen anything from him telling me that he'll be an impact player for us... what i saw is that he will be an NHL player and not a liability and be alright at the very least, still young though and it takes time but i wouldnt pencil him a shoe in impact player / franchise dman for us just yet. I simply havent seen flashes of it yet like i remember seeing flashes of Karlsson, pietrangelo, doughty, subban, etc etc younger in their careers

i certainly fvcking hope so that he become that guy though we need it

My sentiments exactly.  Frankly, I don't see it either.  I think he should be made into a forward because he's not good with the puck in a tight spot in his own zone.  He's also scary carrying the puck.  I feel like he's going to get his head taken off every time he holds it for any substantial amount of time.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Larsson becoming an overall impact defenseman that would warrant his top 5 pick.  It's early so I'm hoping he's not Zyuzin.

I have no worries about Larsson. He reminds me so much how Hedman looked early on, only smaller. Yes, he makes mistakes but he's still so young. You can see the talent there, you'd just like to see him be more consistent with it which will come with time and experience (hopefully).

Edited by PWW

My sentiments exactly.  Frankly, I don't see it either.  I think he should be made into a forward because he's not good with the puck in a tight spot in his own zone.  He's also scary carrying the puck.  I feel like he's going to get his head taken off every time he holds it for any substantial amount of time.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see Larsson becoming an overall impact defenseman that would warrant his top 5 pick.  It's early so I'm hoping he's not Zyuzin.

This is the most absurd suggestion I've seen posted here in quite some time.

This is the most absurd suggestion I've seen posted here in quite some time.

Why? because of his immaculate defense?  People are looking at this guy through tinted lenses.  He has not been a good defenseman.  He's young, so you give him time.  But, that should be done in the minors. There's a reason he couldn't crack the lineup early on.  There is also no way he should be playing over Fayne and Tallinder.  He's slow and he gets beat constantly.  That is never going to change.  I hope that he is able to compensate with intelligence as he grows.  Right now, I don't see it. However, I would love to see him use that great shot of his off the wing and see him set up some guys from there as well.

Why? because of his immaculate defense?  People are looking at this guy through tinted lenses.  He has not been a good defenseman.  He's young, so you give him time.  But, that should be done in the minors. There's a reason he couldn't crack the lineup early on.  There is also no way he should be playing over Fayne and Tallinder.  He's slow and he gets beat constantly.  That is never going to change.  I hope that he is able to compensate with intelligence as he grows.  Right now, I don't see it. However, I would love to see him use that great shot of his off the wing and see him set up some guys from there as well.

weird-guy.gif

A 20 year old defenseman is never going to improve? Are you being serious?

Well, Greene and him are the best passing d-pairing in the lineup (possibly, probably? the best 2 passers on the d), which is going to help generate quality chances, hence higher shooting percentage. They've also done a good job taking away the easy shots, forcing people to shoot from farther out, worse angles, etc. Sure, there's some puck luck, maybe even a lot, but I've noticed good players tend to get lucky a decent amount, and I think the Larsson Greene pairing does a lot of little things right. I'd be happier if Larsson did more big things, but there's a lot to be said for being a solid all around player. I see him at least being a better Paul Martin, and we should all miss him if we don't.

I never said he wasn't going to improve.  A players footspeed is what it is.

I would disagree with this.  Players can get quicker.  In Larsson's case it isn't even his speed, it's his quickness in transitioning into his backwards skate, it's poor, and that's a technique that can certainly improve.

I would disagree with this.  Players can get quicker.  In Larsson's case it isn't even his speed, it's his quickness in transitioning into his backwards skate, it's poor, and that's a technique that can certainly improve.

We'll see.  I hope your right.  He seems to lose all his foot races which would indicate quickness.