Schnieder and Greene Get USA Olympic Snubbed

msweet

Overall, this team isn't very good, nor is it intelligently constructed. We won't medal.

that's what happens when you get guys who put together gritty, defense minded, or in Burke's case, awful, teams to make teams on the big ice. Sooooo dumb. 

And Burke apparently said in Burnside's ESPN article he regrets taking Ryan over Johnson in Anaheim. Boy he's dumber than I thought

I understand the bobby ryan omission - he was not going to get a top 6 role and USA is building a true "team", not an all star team. that i can accept.

the defense is an abomination plain and simple. martin, i suppose, can be acceptable over yandle/byfuglien. i don't like it but i can accept it.

orpik has no business on this team - none. on big ice, he is going to be completely useless. i think i'd rather santini than orpik.

That "True Team" crap is overrated. Canada didn't put together a true team roster at the 2002 Olympics and won gold. Superstars took on different roles with ease. 

Remember 2006 in Turin? Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios, Mark Parrish, Keith Tkachuk, Mike Knuble...gritty true team. Veteran leadership... 8th place. That team couldn't skate for beans

take the fastest most skilled players. end of discussion

That "True Team" crap is overrated. Canada didn't put together a true team roster at the 2002 Olympics and won gold. Superstars took on different roles with ease. 

Remember 2006 in Turin? Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios, Mark Parrish, Keith Tkachuk, Mike Knuble...gritty true team. Veteran leadership... 8th place. That team couldn't skate for beans

take the fastest most skilled players. end of discussion

Agree.

Better players = better team. No Bobby Ryan is an absolute joke.

Bobby Ryan should be there. I have no problem with Orpik, though. He was great 4 years ago.

Bobby Ryan should be there. I have no problem with Orpik, though. He was great 4 years ago.

Orpik was awful since that said great year.  Although he's been better last year and this year.  But seriously, Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league let alone US born d-men.  And how does Justin Faulk make the team?

Orpik was awful since that said great year.  Although he's been better last year and this year.  But seriously, Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league let alone US born d-men.  And how does Justin Faulk make the team?

I respect healthy Orpik. Agreed Yandle is good, especially at replacing some of the goal scoring that they won't be getting from Rafa this time around. I also agree Greene should be there (but they fvcked that one up months ago). I just don't get the Orpik hate.

Orpik was great 4 years ago on a NA rink. Much bigger rink now. Speed is the name of the game.

I thought they expanded the rink for the Olympics? Am I remembering completely wrong?

Edited by mouse

I just don't get the Orpik hate.

Here? Well, for one, he's a Penguin and that tends to cloud judgments just like the other guy in this thread who bitched abut having three Rangers. Two, he's got a reputation as being dirty depending on what line you believe in. You have to think Bylsma knows him well enough to use him properly. One thing this team won't lack is jam but i think they put too much on that and sacrificed some skill.

Edited by TheRedStorm

I'm not sure Brooks Orpik is one of the top 20 US defensemen in the league right now.  I understand they wanted someone to penalty kill, but he's awful 5 on 5 at this level, and then throw in big ice - he's going to be the 7th D and will probably be getting 10 minutes a game but they could've done a whole lot better than him.

Beating a dead horse here, but the Ryan snub is just awful. Big, physical, fast, complete player. The guy is having a monster season, too. IDK, there are locks on the team no matter what (Kane, Parise, Kessel, Kesler), but Bobby Ryan should have a spot over any other forward, imo.

Don't like Orpik over Yandle and Byfuglien either. Oh well, hopefully Faulk/Fowler/Carlson show up.

I understand the bobby ryan omission - he was not going to get a top 6 role and USA is building a true "team", not an all star team. that i can accept.

the defense is an abomination plain and simple. martin, i suppose, can be acceptable over yandle/byfuglien. i don't like it but i can accept it.

orpik has no business on this team - none. on big ice, he is going to be completely useless. i think i'd rather santini than orpik.

There is no reason Bobby Ryan shouldn't be on this team. He has the third most goals this year of any U.S. born player. Any claims that he was left off because the USA is building a "true team" is absolutely ridiculous. 

I literally cannot understand the Ryan snub. I haven't heard one source that's agreed with that move. I don't have a problem with Orpik, while the ice is bigger, it's still hockey and there are hits, and Orpik is one of the best Americans at delivering them. But Shattenkirk? I dunno, I'd rather see Yandle over him.

Greene was never piss tested, correct?   Then he was never in their plans in the first place.    I think you have some dumb people in the process.  It took years for Bylsma to get the Pens' sticks aligned properly on the PP.   Don Waddell is around and supposedly his scouting reports were very important to the process. Of course, he works for the Pens.  lol.   I love the part where he trashes Byfuglien, forgetting that basically Byfuglien was their eventual return for Kovalchuk.   Burke is probably just drunk again.   The Ryan for Johnson comment is some really bitter sh!t. 

I wouldn't compare them to 06, though, that 06 team was horrible.   Nightmare combination of the guys from the 90's plus guys who were in over their heads

Edited by maxpower

This team looks SLOW. No pavelski, yandle, or ryan??

On a cool note, there are four players from our metro area on this team. You would have been institutionalized if you had said that ten-twenty years ago.

Edited by devlman

Paul Martin? Talk about overrated, that was a Bylsma request.  This team was picked as is before season began.  I'm glad most Devs are getting rest.  except Patty/Jagr/Zubbie?

This team looks SLOW. No pavelski, yandle, or ryan??

On a cool note, there are four players from our metro area on this team. You would have been institutionalized if you had said that ten-twenty years ago.

Pavelski is on the team.

I wouldn't say they are slow, they may not be the fastest team in the tournament but they have some guys who can fly...Kessel, Wheeler, Fowler, Kane, etc.

Edited by third man in

A day later and there is more talk about the Jack Johnson snub than any defenseman. It just goes to show that if you have a "name" it goes a very long way even if you never live up to potential and haven't been very good for so a long time.

This could helps the Devils with Greene this off-season. If he is this underrated around the league, maybe he won't get the money I think he deserves.

Edited by devilsrule33

A day later and there is more talk about the Jack Johnson snub than any defenseman. It just goes to show that if you have a "name" it goes a very long way even if you never live up to potential and haven't been very good for so a long time.

This could helps the Devils with Greene this off-season. If he is this underrated around the league, maybe he won't get the money I think he deserves.

Well, Parise was relatively underrated until his contract was up and suddenly he was "a top 10 forward in the league" according to all the pundits.

Greene was never piss tested, correct?   Then he was never in their plans in the first place.    I think you have some dumb people in the process.  It took years for Bylsma to get the Pens' sticks aligned properly on the PP.   Don Waddell is around and supposedly his scouting reports were very important to the process. Of course, he works for the Pens.  lol.   I love the part where he trashes Byfuglien, forgetting that basically Byfuglien was their eventual return for Kovalchuk.   Burke is probably just drunk again.   The Ryan for Johnson comment is some really bitter sh!t. 

I wouldn't compare them to 06, though, that 06 team was horrible.   Nightmare combination of the guys from the 90's plus guys who were in over their heads

No, he wasn't, and honestly I can see why he wasn't (although again, it's beyond ridiculous that Jack Johnson is even in the conversation for team USA)

Waddell was removed from being GM by the time they got Byfuglien - Rick Dudley was behind that move.  That also wasn't their eventual return for Kovalchuk - they had Oduya and Bergfors and Cormier too.  Nonetheless Waddell was totally out a year later.

As for Ryan, he's not a play driver, but he does look to be one of the few shooting percentage drivers.  I dunno.  That's a tough call for me, though I guess the US does have room for that.  Still, he wears a defenseman's number as a forward.

Edited by Triumph