All MLB 2011 Thread

devilsrule33

I promise not to talk all Jays in this thread but I'll start with one of the wildest baseball games I have ever seen last night. Angels beat the Jays 6-5 in the 14th with Haren getting the win after the Angels use everyone up in the bullpen. The game didn't go without controversy when Bob Davidson made one of the worst calls I have ever seen in baseball history taking away the potential winning run for the Jays in the 13th on runner interference.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13640871&query=%26game_pk%3D287014

Just an insane game.

In other news, Boston and the Rays are 1-7. Terrible starts for both teams. I'd be more concerned if I was a Rays fan though. That lineup looks brutal so far.

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Braves have been up and down all freaking season. They blew out Philly two nights ago, then got blown out by them yesterday, for example. Hopefully they can get themselves some sort of consistency soon

The Red Sox are too good to be awful. I agree the Rays' start is more concerning, though they'll surely turn it around too. Losing Manny hurts though, and they were already a couple wins behind the Yankees, on paper (if not more depending on your view/projection). This 1-8 start doesn't help.

Since this thread is kinda like the unofficial Jays thread (at times) I figured I'd throw in a Jays nugget - they won't be that good this year, but Alex A. is doing a really nice job with that organization. I think Drabek is going to be really good, too. I saw parts of his outing last weekend against the Twins; he looked phenomenal.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't know if anyone of ya are watching the ESPN Sunday Night game with the Yankees and Red Sox but they are experimenting with a live K-Zone graphic that is just horrible. It's reminded me of how much I hated the glow puck thing when the NHL was on Fox. I hope the experiment ends tonight.

I don't know if anyone of ya are watching the ESPN Sunday Night game with the Yankees and Red Sox but they are experimenting with a live K-Zone graphic that is just horrible. It's reminded me of how much I hated the glow puck thing when the NHL was on Fox. I hope the experiment ends tonight.

I only saw a few seconds of it, but it looks like you are playing a baseball video game. They aren't using it constantly though. Only saw it one inning.

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan Braun got a huge extension from the Brewers that locks him up through 2020: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/brewers-extend-ryan-braun-through-2020.html

I like Braun, but that's just silly. Hes a poor defensive player and, uh, he was already locked up through 2015 anyway. What's the rush to lock him up, at a premium price no less, for his age 33 to 37 seasons? I wonder if the Brewers make this move if Fielder wasn't about to become a free agent.....

Edited by nmigliore

What do you guys think of the talk of adding another playoff team in each league?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6404094

I personally like it, as long as it stops there. One of the things I love about how much of an accomplishment it is just to make the playoffs. But, at the same time I recognize how this gives more teams something to play for in September.

If it was a one-game playoff between the two wild cards I could definitely see the merit, you want to put the wild card team on an uneven footing with the division winners and giving them a play-in game can do that.

If it was any more than one game though, then you might be giving the division winners too much of a bye and the wild-card teams would be more in game mode, plus it would extend the season too much.

Ryan Braun got a huge extension from the Brewers that locks him up through 2020: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/brewers-extend-ryan-braun-through-2020.html

I like Braun, but that's just silly. Hes a poor defensive player and, uh, he was already locked up through 2015 anyway. What's the rush to lock him up, at a premium price no less, for his age 33 to 37 seasons? I wonder if the Brewers make this move if Fielder wasn't about to become a free agent.....

I really don't pay attention to the NL much so when I saw your comment on defense, I went over to Fangraphs to check out his UZR and noticed they added a new defensive section called Aggregate Defensive Ratings which takes a weighted average of FSR, UZR, TZL, DRS. Pretty interesting since each system has its shortcomings. I still can't wait for Field f/x to come out...anyone here anything about that recently? That can totally revolutionize defensive metrics.

That can totally revolutionize defensive metrics.

With defensive metrics not being a sure-thing, absolutely.

I still use UZR as my main defensive metric, but I try to use a mixture of that, DRS, TZL, and even the Fangraph Fans; which is pretty much the Aggregate Defensive Rating they have now, which is great.

What do you guys think of the talk of adding another playoff team in each league?

I'd be in favor of it if they condensed the rest of the playoff schedule. The playoffs end too late as it is, and more importantly it completely changes the sport when you go from needing 5, in a pinch 4, starting pitchers to be good, to only needing 3. The additional team would mean two more teams (and their fans' money) stay in it, but it's really crapshoot as to what it means for playoff races. The spot in the standings where it's down to the wire changes year-to-year.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Liriano, but its hard to say this will turn around his dreadful season; he may have allowed no hits, but he walked 6 and struck out only 2. Eesh. Somewhat reminiscent of Edwin Jackson's 8 BB/6 K no-no last season.

Edited by nmigliore

Congrats to Verlander...helluva pitcher.

He really is. Any pitcher who can throw as hard as he generally does while staying healthy and extremely durable (and really, really good to boot) deserves tons of credit this day and age where pitchers get hurt so damn much.

Its only 145 PA into the season, but Jose Bautista looks legit after his huge 2010: .358/.517/.798, 13 homers (leads MLB), .440 ISO (!!!) .. and hes got awesome plate discipline to back it up: 24.1 BB%, 17.4 K%.

He'll regress, but still... wow.

Edited by nmigliore

Those are imppressive numbers for Bautista. He is a beast.

Congrats to Verlander...helluva pitcher.

Then threw a 2 hitter on the Royals Friday, and had the no hitter going til 2 down in the 6th!

Let's see some more DOMINATION LIKE THAT!! :lock: !!

Tigers with the shutout last night baby!! Juat keep piling up the W's!!!