2012 NFL Front Office Carousel

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Most updates will come from NFL.com, but feel free to comment.

Jacksonville GM Gene Smith Fired

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum Fired, Rex Ryan safe. As a side note to this, ESPN Radio is opining via Adam Scheftner (sp) that none of the Jets coordinators will be back next season, so theoretically goodbye Sparano, Westhoff (retirement), and that guy who pretends to be a DC while Rex calls the defense. Mike Pettine

Cleveland Coach Pat Shermer and GM Tom Heckert fired.

Philadelphia Coach Andy Reid fired. Also, if you can find audio of it, the ESPN Radio this morning Sal Palentonio and Mike Goalik had an argument about whether Reid will coach again in 2013

Raiders fire OC, head coach likely safe

Bears Head Coach Lovie Smith fired.

Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid fired

Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

Chiefs fire Head Coach Romeo Crennel, and no decision yet on Scott Pioli.

Arizona fires Head Coach Ken Wisenhunt and GM Greaves

San Diego fires Head Coach Norv Turner and GM "Lord of No Rings" AJ Smith

Muchak in Tennessee is SAFE

Confirming Crasher's statement, Dallas looking for playcalling OC

We could see news out of Carolina and Tennessee, but that will not be immediate as far as what I'm reading. There's rumors that even Detroit may be taking a second look at their coaches.

Allegedly Gruden's opened himself up to the coaching carousel.

Another busy man - 3 teams interested in Falcons OC Koetter

NFL Around the League Twitter if you can't wait for the latest news: https://twitter.com/NFL_ATL

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Firing Reid is a mistake...philly will rue the day.

Anyway. I doubt he coaches in 2013 after such a difficult 2012 all around. Though if the Jets have another bad year next season, he's the guy I'd want

The DC lackey is just Mike Pettine. He was just a defensive assistant for all intents and purposes.

Add in that the Cowboys might be looking to bring in a real OC and let the evil Ginger Genius just supervise all (I'm all for this....I'd love Whinsenhunt if Arizona gets stupid and fires him....)

Firing Reid is a mistake...philly will rue the day.

Anyway. I doubt he coaches in 2013 after such a difficult 2012 all around. Though if the Jets have another bad year next season, he's the guy I'd want

The DC lackey is just Mike Pettine. He was just a defensive assistant for all intents and purposes.

I love Andy Reid, but I think he made most of the personnel decisions and not helping the build the O-Line was a huge blunder and also the mistakes on the DC side too. I think he needs a break. He should take off 2013 and recharge.

LOL: Gruden

He has been auditioning for HC jobs since he got on ESPN. He is the worst color commentator in the NFL, constantly brown nosing every GM in the league via broadcast to land a coaching job.

Hopefully, this suck up will land him a job OFF camera, so ESPN can hire someone with an actual opinion instead the flattering non-sense (e.g. "Tannebaum has done a great job building this offense for the Jets and Tebow is going to make a huge impact this year")

Lovie Smith didn't deserve it.

Agree

Add in that the Cowboys might be looking to bring in a real OC and let the evil Ginger Genius just supervise all (I'm all for this....I'd love Whinsenhunt if Arizona gets stupid and fires him....)

Agree

Whisenhunt would be a huge win for Dallas. I always loved his game planning as OC in Pitt, too bad he had garbage in Arizona.

LOL: Gruden

He has been auditioning for HC jobs since he got on ESPN. He is the worst color commentator in the NFL, constantly brown nosing every GM in the league via broadcast to land a coaching job.

Hopefully, this suck up will land him a job OFF camera, so ESPN can hire someone with an actual opinion instead the flattering non-sense (e.g. "Tannebaum has done a great job building this offense for the Jets and Tebow is going to make a huge impact this year")

Edited by MantaRay
  • Like 1

Andy Reid is the WORST in-game adjustment coach in football (think the Giant game when they got sacked like 11 times and Reid refused to help his RT out at all in the game)....he's also too pass-happy and doesn't balance things out very well....I'd stay far away from him as a head football coach.....

Lovie's had a lot of OC's schemes and QBs in his tenure, and not too wonderful a result, he's got an aging defense and a one-trick pony offense (that Miami gifted him).... I can see why he was let go also just to get someone in there with a better offensive mind....once you get past the elite coaches, these guys really are a dime a dozen and totally replacable....

Just went back and looked at last year's coaching carousel thread. I said that Sporano was a "pretty good" hire by the Jets. It was preceded by "coming from a Dolphins fan" so I pray I was being sarcastic at the time.

Others were saying that the Chiefs were poised for a huge year, so hopefully I don't get the award for worst prediction.

Well the Ford family is supposedly very loyal. He did build the Lions steadily up from historically bad to a respectable 10-6 last year. I bet that buys him some time. Still i thought...imagine he gets fired and joins Rex in Pettine's old role and is then joined by Norv Turner. You'd have the most hated, polarizing coaching staff in football.

I am surprised that Schwartz still has a job in Detroit

Not only that, they EXTENDED him :blink:

that's why the Lions are the Lions, and one of only 4 teams to never make it to a Super Bowl

..imagine he gets fired and joins Rex in Pettine's old role and is then joined by Norv Turner?

TJB suggested the Jets might reassign Sparano because they owe him 2 more years of contract. I would love to keep him onboard to help as an o'line coach, and to help with the RB's and running game. Maybe have him take DeGuglielmo's job.

..ya gotta remember the original plan last season was to have co-offensive coordinators; Tony Sparano & Todd Haley. Fist-Pump was the first to sign on, with Haley expected to come in shortly after. Then at the 11th hour, Haley told the Jets to go fvck themselves, and we had to scramble up a Plan'B. Say what you will about Sparano, but he transformed a 28th ranked running game, into one that finished nearly Top 10 in 7 weeks. I would love to add Norv Turner as the Passing Coordinator \ Assistant Head Coach, with Sparano replacing DeGuglielmo.

Edited by Beezer34

Wait a minute. Because you inflated your stats against the likes Jax, Arizona, Buffalo, Tennesee and lower rung teams you hailing Sparano as an offensive genius?

no, merely saying Sporano is perhaps best served in a different role, after all he is a true O-Line coach. The Jets run game doesn't boast much talent or home run hitters, but they did improve as the season progressed. Plus a former turnstyle Vlad Ducasse actually turned into a pretty decent run blocker under Sporano.