2012 NHL Draft

thefiestygoat

Buzzing the Net: Top 10

Nothing crazy on the list but they have Grigorenko slipping to 7th. Nice read though.

Hockey's Future: 2012 Staff Mock Draft

29. New Jersey Devils

Tim Bozon, LW, Kamloops Blazers (WHL)

The Devils don't frequently draft WHLers this high, but Bozon is arguably the best pure-goal scorer available at this point. His high-end speed, puck skills and lethal finishing ability are too hard to pass up. His 36 goals led all WHL rookies. Bozon is responsible defensively, pressures hard on the forecheck, and displays a little bit of grit not typically found in many Swiss-trained players.

Other potential picks: Scott Laughton, Colton Sissons, Nicolas Kerdiles, Phil Di Giuseppe, Martin Frk.

Surprised to see whoever was picking for the Canucks was taking Tanner Pearson in round 1.

Future Considerations is doing an interesting scout series where each scout names a player that impressed them, disappointed them, and could be a sleeper from their region. Here are the ones that have been uploaded:

Zenon Herasymiuk (WHL)

Sean Lafortune (OHL)

Brian McGee (USHL)

Dan Sallows

Brian Huddle (OHL)

Patrik Hall (Sweden)

Jeff McCarthy (WHL)

Dan Chan (USHS East)

Edited by thefiestygoat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzzing the Net: Top 10

Nothing crazy on the list but they have Grigorenko slipping to 7th. Nice read though.

Hockey's Future: 2012 Staff Mock Draft

Surprised to see whoever was picking for the Canucks was taking Tanner Pearson in round 1.

Future Considerations is doing an interesting scout series where each scout names a player that impressed them, disappointed them, and could be a sleeper from their region. Here are the ones that have been uploaded:

Zenon Herasymiuk (WHL)

Sean Lafortune (OHL)

Brian McGee (USHL)

Dan Sallows

Brian Huddle (OHL)

Patrik Hall (Sweden)

Jeff McCarthy (WHL)

Dan Chan (USHS East)

I enjoyed those links. Thanks, TFG.

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec

#Oilers won't trade No. 1 overall pick. Also won't decide until Thursday night, Friday morning who they'll take.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Even though they have a great crop of young forwards, they have to take Yakupov if they feel like none of the defenseman can be on that same level.

Even though this is considered a weaker class, its nice that this draft will be unpredictable. I'll only be able to follow the 1st round live since I'll be working during the 2nd-7th rounds unfortunately.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Even though they have a great crop of young forwards, they have to take Yakupov if they feel like none of the defenseman can be on that same level.

Even though this is considered a weaker class, its nice that this draft will be unpredictable. I'll only be able to follow the 1st round live since I'll be working during the 2nd-7th rounds unfortunately.

I would trade that first pick for a defenseman if I was Edmonton. They are set on offense but they really do lack any talented guys on D.

I would trade that first pick for a defenseman if I was Edmonton. They are set on offense but they really do lack any talented guys on D.

It will be interesting to see if they move the pick and who it would be to. I'm not expecting it but I can see it happening.

Hockey's Future: New Jersey Devils 2012 Draft Preview

After using nine of their last 18 draft picks over the course the past three NHL drafts on defenseman, the Devils built up what was once a dilapidated and thin blue line into what is now the strength of the system.

The Devils have only selected four European-born players over the past three drafts and three of those four have been from Sweden.

Of late, the team has shown a tendency for selecting players out of the USHL, more specifically, the US Under 18 National Development Team Program. Three of the Devils six choices last year came out of the USHL. The Devils don't hesitate to draft players from the CHL and haven't really shown a tendency to favor one league or another lately.

Being that we're pretty darn thin on the right side, if you look at player rankings, you see among for 1st fifty on Craig's (Buttons) list, there are only about 5 right hand (fw) shooters? I see guys play RW, but shoot lefty. Like Kovy (shoots righty, plays left wing) Not much to pick from. Maybe that for Lou/Conte it's not even a priority. Hopefully we'll be able to get a natural RW like (if they're still around)Sebastian Collberg, Tomas Hertl,(both play in their countries elite league) Samuel Kurker (Mass prep school HS) maybe Samuelson from Edmonton (WHL)

Well this is certainly something to follow. The New York Islanders (or the Icelanders as Steve Somers calls them) are interested in trading their 4th round pick for P.K. Subban.

https://twitter.com/nickhirshon/status/214400445882445824

#Newsday‬ reports ‪#Isles‬ considering trading No. 4 draft pick to ‪#canadiens‬ for ‪#PKSubban‬. ‪#Montreal‬ hesitant. ‪#nyi‬ ‪#NHL

Edited by TheMazz

Being that we're pretty darn thin on the right side, if you look at player rankings, you see among for 1st fifty on Craig's (Buttons) list, there are only about 5 right hand (fw) shooters? I see guys play RW, but shoot lefty. Like Kovy (shoots righty, plays left wing) Not much to pick from. Maybe that for Lou/Conte it's not even a priority. Hopefully we'll be able to get a natural RW like (if they're still around)Sebastian Collberg, Tomas Hertl,(both play in their countries elite league) Samuel Kurker (Mass prep school HS) maybe Samuelson from Edmonton (WHL)

I'd rather see the Devils take the best player available with their first pick and then try to target organizational weaknesses in the latter rounds. I'm still curious as to if the Devils are going to move this pick in a deal or if they really feel strong about some of the guys that are going to be available there.

Well this is certainly something to follow. The New York Islanders (or the Icelanders as Steve Somers calls them) are interested in trading their 4th pick for P.K. Subban.

https://twitter.com/nickhirshon/status/214400445882445824

#Newsday‬ reports ‪#Isles‬ considering trading No. 4 draft pick to ‪#canadiens‬ for ‪#PKSubban‬. ‪#Montreal‬ hesitant. ‪#nyi‬ ‪#NHL

Montreal would be nuts to take that trade. They'd have to be getting more than just the 4th overall pick back imo. Besides all the prospects, I'm looking forward to all the trade rumors and deals that will go down during the draft. Always a fun weekend in the summer for us hockey fans.

Montreal would be nuts to take that trade. They'd have to be getting more than just the 4th overall pick back imo. Besides all the prospects, I'm looking forward to all the trade rumors and deals that will go down during the draft. Always a fun weekend in the summer for us hockey fans.

I doubt it would be a straight up Subban for the 4th type of deal, but never know with the Isles. I completely agree about the draft espc this year. I was prepared for it to be low-key but with us keeping our pick, Friday just got a lot more interesting.

The mocks are all over the place this year, but its understandable. Ive read about 6 of them in the last hour and the only repeat position is goaltender, but have seen wingers, d-men, and centers mocked to us too.

Edited by ghdi

In Lou We Trust: Mock Drafting The Devils Selections in Rounds 2-6

Future Considerations: Wildcards to be had Between the Pipes

Includes a prospect Jason has brought up here:

Francois Brassard – Quebec – QMJHL – 6’-1” 160 lbs

A butterfly style puck stopper who when he is on his game plays with very good poise and calmness in the crease. Has a good glove and does not give up many rebounds but can go through stretches where he plays too deep in his crease and allows bad goals that should be stopped. This can also be attributed to a lack of focus from time to time, but other than these consistency issues his size and style are impressive and Brassard could catch the eye of an NHL team.

Future Considerations: FC’s Scout Series: Dan Shrader (Upper-Midwest)

Interesting comments on Jake McCabe and others.

As usual, I highly recommend the In Lou We Trust post. Great stuff!

In Lou We Trust: Mock Drafting The Devils Selections in Rounds 2-6

Future Considerations: Wildcards to be had Between the Pipes

Yea what a great article. He clearly has a great understanding and spent a good amount of time on that.

I definitely just learned a ton about all those prospects

Includes a prospect Jason has brought up here:

Future Considerations: FC’s Scout Series: Dan Shrader (Upper-Midwest)

Interesting comments on Jake McCabe and others.

As usual, I highly recommend the In Lou We Trust post. Great stuff!

TSN: TSN's Final Draft Top 60 (Includes reports from Craig Button)

TSN: Craig Button and Pierre McGuire Mock Draft 1st Round

29. Devils: Mark Jankowski (Center) Craig Button's Notes: "The Devils always find diamonds in the rough, and Jankowski is that player. "

In Lou We Trust has a very informative prospect profile on Jankwoski here. Well worth taking the time to read.

Future Considerations: Blueline Bolstered with Wildcards

A lot of names and notes to take in with that report. The Devils love taking defenseman and have had success with some late in the draft (Fayne 5th Round 2005) while last years 6th Round pick (Reece Scarlett) is showing promise despite not being well known entering the draft.

The United States of Hockey: USA Goalie Coach Weighs in on Draft-Eligible American Netminders

One of the 4 goalies featured is Jackson, NJ's own Anthony Stolarz.

It be interesting to see what Lou and company do with the 29th pick. Maybe he figures a new CBA would cancel the penalty, maybe he sees a potential project available at 29, or maybe he will trade up or do something else.

I just have a feeling the Devils have something up their sleeve at the draft.

It be interesting to see what Lou and company do with the 29th pick. Maybe he figures a new CBA would cancel the penalty, maybe he sees a potential project available at 29, or maybe he will trade up or do something else.

I just have a feeling the Devils have something up their sleeve at the draft.

We HAVE to be cooking up some sort of trade IMO, why else on Earth would we not give up the 29th pick. In Lou we trust. :koolaid:

Edited by Zubie#8

I think the Devils would take either Subban or VASILEVSKI if still available. I'm wondering when you get to choose 29th, that it's a crapshoot whether there's truly a "best player" available. I think they're poised to make a trade as well.

I'd like to see them choose (of course if they're still around) Tomas Hertl, Sam Kurker, Devin Shore, Chris Calnan, or Jake McCabe.

Future Considerations: FC’S SCOUT SERIES: CLAUDIA FORTIER (QMJHL)

Future Considerations: PLENTY OF WILDCARDS LEFT OF CENTRE

In Lou We Trust: NHL Mock Draft 2012: ILWT Selects Tom Wilson with No. 29 Pick

I think the Devils would take either Subban or VASILEVSKI if still available. I'm wondering when you get to choose 29th, that it's a crapshoot whether there's truly a "best player" available. I think they're poised to make a trade as well.

I'd like to see them choose (of course if they're still around) Tomas Hertl, Sam Kurker, Devin Shore, Chris Calnan, or Jake McCabe.

I'm curious to see where McCabe ends up getting selected since his draft stock fell with his injury last year. FC has him ranked 35th, CSS has him at 47th (NA Skaters), Hockey Prospect has him at 98th, and Hockey Prospectus ranks him at 67th. I'd love it if the Devils could select him with their 2nd pick but I doubt he falls that far.