anti-intellectualism

Pepperkorn

There is a hint of ignorance on some' part - though it's a discussion not on ignorance, but willful anti-intellectualism.

Admittedly some people got a little off track and thought it meant they were supposed to post as an anti-intellectual as opposed to merely discussing it.

Anti-intellectualism is rarely founded in ignorance IMO, but the mark of a hyper-competitive streak marred by laziness. It comes into play also when facts interfere with a specific agenda. For example, something good short-term may have horrific long-term repercussions -- but who cares if you make enough in the present... maybe you can buy your way out of the problem you created with those gains.

I understand political anti-intellectualism but I do not understand religious anti-intellectualism. I don't understand what you stand to gain :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes. Anti-intellectualism. The supposed purpose of the thread, which has sometimes gotten sidetracked into arguments on specific subjects. Thankfully we have some here to pull us out of those nasty inconvenient details to put us back on track which is solely to agree with the OP.

It is much better to feign intellectual honesty and interest and then summarily dismiss opposing thoughts without addressing any individual opinions that disagree or conflict with certain individual's worldview. Even better to additionally dismiss such blasphemous thoughts using a self appointed moral and intellectual high ground, however, unfounded it may be.

Perhaps if I added more smileys I would be taken more seriously......

Edited by devilsadvoc8

.... It comes into play also when facts interfere with a specific agenda. .

We have a saying here at work, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Perhaps if I added more smileys I would be taken more seriously......

2por05e.gif

• 1 month later...

Quoted from Newsweek Jan 21, 1980

Relevant today -- or ever?

Discuss!

Don't think it's anti-intllectualism as such. Most people are very happy to listen to intellectuals so long as the intellectual confirms what a person already believes in and so long as the intellectual isn't too smug.

Also, the phenomenon is nothing new. Read Clouds by Aristophones.

• 1 month later...

cult of anti-intellectualism is problem in russia too

"are you so smart?" - in russia in that words are much bit of tongue-in-cheek

if you read, anderstand in music or culture or art - you are strange. girls like stupid boys

God thanks my girlfriend is painter.

and if you are girl and you are smart - it is not just little bit bad - it is awfully(it is annamed rule, i don`t confirm it)

for us for rf for other country - social hide policity like this is more comfortable for goverment - becouse be a shepherd is more simple than be the man who make a desicions

Edited by Guadana

The overwhelming consensus of scientists seem to be countered with smaller inflated issues like the email "scandal" two years ago. How does this one study out of tens of thousands delegitimize the rest? People AMPLIFY these problems and present them as equal sides. There is no debate among experts and people who work using the scientific method and peer review.

Exactly. The vast, overwhelming evidence suggests that the Earth's climate is warming as a primary result of man.

• 1 month later...

Yeah -- I saw that. I think it's just bluster. There are far too many variables for that study to actual say what the media implies. It's more like a gag than real news.

I think the study is of value. It's more interesting to see how the brain develops based on the types of questions and opinions it's exposed to. So it's not slow people think this -- it's more of a how does the brain develop when more subtle tasks are asked of it. Can empathy be developed based on purely intellectual questions? Is empathy logical?

I'm looking to blow the whole Vulcan "emotions have no logic" thing out of the water here. :giggle:

and how does taking risks effect brain development. How do physical risks alter development over mental/emotional risk?

It's lame to just say conservative people are stupid. It's comical not thought provoking. :saddevil:

YOU CAN STOP READING NOW

I watched this bear special on Nature... or Nova --- one was bears the other was urban raccoons... last night... its' so amazing. They dont help each other out, they fight each other. No matter how plentiful the resources they don't share. Only laziness, complacency gets a bear to share. Aside from strict maternal, there is no compassion in bears. And they are such the image of compassion in toy form! :smilegah: that's all :P

Edited by Pepperkorn

Now THAT is Democrat logic up there Jerry. Bush got the ball rolling on ALL of this from a War based on personal vendetta to getting the ball rolling on all the bail outs.

Obama isn't blameless don't get me wrong -- but this isn't all his mess - not by a long shot.

Do you really expect the neurologically more dexterous liberals to believe that crap? :giggle:

Now THAT is Democrat logic up there Jerry. Bush got the ball rolling on ALL of this from a War based on personal vendetta to getting the ball rolling on all the bail outs.

Obama isn't blameless don't get me wrong -- but this isn't all his mess - not by a long shot.

Do you really expect the neurologically more dexterous liberals to believe that crap? :giggle:

Pepperkorn, I'm not sure what your point is, but I never said that the George W. Bush administration didn't contribute to the fiscal mess we have now. The truth, however, is that 70% of federal spending goes to dependence programs, according to the Heritage Foundation. So liberal policy is the biggest problem. Bush even had a hand in that with the Medicare prescription program.

Pepperkorn, I'm not sure what your point is, but I never said that the George W. Bush administration didn't contribute to the fiscal mess we have now. The truth, however, is that 70% of federal spending goes to dependence programs, according to the Heritage Foundation. So liberal policy is the biggest problem. Bush even had a hand in that with the Medicare prescription program.

My point was voting in a so-called conservative will change relatively little.

I was in a solution driven mood posting the above. I would have added in that both parties are too liberal if I had been you.

Sorry if I got over zealous/brainless :evil:

My point was voting in a so-called conservative will change relatively little.

I was in a solution driven mood posting the above. I would have added in that both parties are too liberal if I had been you.

Sorry if I got over zealous/brainless :evil:

I agree with you about both parties being too liberal. But I see a glimmer of hope in the Republican Party and none in the Democratic Party.

Liberals are so smart that their fiscal policies have been the main reason why this country in buried in debt. Gotta love their insistence on "matching" cuts with revenue. Geniuses, I tell you.

I will give you the fact that Obama has increased the debt; but saying Liberals are the reason why the country is buried in debt is just factually inaccurate.

Iraq/Afganistan/Bush's Bailouts all balooned the debt.

Obama's debt is almost entirely from bailing out this "once in a century" financial crisis which was in motion in the months leading up to his election. It's not like he was implimenting huge gov't programs or new agencies like GWB did.

The healthcare bill is supposedly deficit neutral, and really just forces people to buy insurance from private companies.

US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President.jpg

Edited by oofrostonoo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.