So Apparently The Rumor Is Kovy Could Be Coming Back

TheMazz

DINO COSTA ‏@REALDINOCOSTA 2h
I received word from very credible source based in NJ this afternoon that DEVILS are involved in discussions to bring back Ilya Kovalchuk...

I know Costa isn't some scrub source either. Over 10k followers on Twitter. Was a main contributor to Mad Dog Radio on SiriusXM. I don't see this as some hockeyinsiderrr nonsense.

I wouldn't know how to take this if this is true or has legs at all.

Edited by TheMazz

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  I don't want a coward with a bad back on my team.  On top of that, you don't get to argue that you want to go home for stability and then COME BACK a year later.  Somebody is blowing smoke.  I believe that every single GM in the league has to approve of him coming back, that's not going to happen.  If Kovalchuk tries to come back, the only teams that will allow him to are the teams that want to sign him.  Not only would he be a fvcking coward, he'd be a hypocrite. 

I'll just leave this here. 

I would think that many GM's would not want him (vote in favor) to come back after NHL returning half of the fine that was paid, and given back our first rounder.  Only after being in the K one year. Lou might be able to lobby a few GM's. No way will he be allowed to come back at least this early.

Even if Kovalchuk realized he missed everything about the NHL game/life etc, how is it possible to get him on this team? I think I can get the roadblocks, but I can't see how any owner or GM that votes would let this happen. Add in that the Devils got their draft pick back, no fvcking chance.

If he does come back here, I'll be convinced that his initial departure was collusion to get the Devils out of that contract.

And people with a vote might agree with you.

Edited by devilsrule33

Of course he will not come back (i mean.. I don't think it's realistic to consider this)... BUT... if he wanna come back.. and if he wanna come back to NJ.... I will be thrilled ! 

I know the general concensus is hate.. a lot of hate for him... but i don't care about that. Kovy is a machine ! 

Yeah people with a vote would agree. And then we'd probably lose our 2015 1st. This guy has already been so much more trouble than he's been worth to this franchise... Enough.

Of course he will not come back (i mean.. I don't think it's realistic to consider this)... BUT... if he wanna come back.. and if he wanna come back to NJ.... I will be thrilled !

I know the general concensus is hate.. a lot of hate for him... but i don't care about that. Kovy is a machine !

Kovy is most certainly not a machine. He couldn't even score 30 goals in the KHL this year.

The votes don't matter after a year if I'm reading this correctly

"As it stands, if Kovalchuk decided he wanted to return to the NHL, he would have to get unanimous approval from all 30 clubs. In a year's time, if Kovalchuk wanted to return, he'd have to get approval from the Devils. It's hard to imagine him getting Lou Lamoriello's blessing after bailing."

That story is dated July 2013.

If he wanted to come back within the calendar year, he'd need all 30. After that year, the Devils are the only ones with the decision. At least thats how I interpret it.

Here's more that explains it that same way.

If that's correct, we're the only ones who have veto power on his return as of the start of the new league year.

Edited by ghdi

NOOOOOOO, yeah, his endurance and puck skills might still be there, but what good is a player who can play the whole game if he's not producing in a league that is a just a step above the AHL. It would look really really bad on us if the Devils okayed him to come back and then he played for us again.  That would be a nightmare.  I could see the NHL taking 2 first rounders from us. 

Edited by RizzMB30

DINO COSTA ‏@REALDINOCOSTA 2h

I received word from very credible source based in NJ this afternoon that DEVILS are involved in discussions to bring back Ilya Kovalchuk...

I know Costa isn't some scrub source either. Over 10k followers on Twitter. Was a main contributor to Mad Dog Radio on SiriusXM. I don't see this as some hockeyinsiderrr nonsense.

I wouldn't know how to take this if this is true or has legs at all.

Dino Costa, please, he couldn't even remember if Marty wore #30 or #31 (that happened here on this site...he made the same mistake TWICE in a post, then claimed it was a "typo" both times).  He's the classic wannabe, in that he wants to be so much more important than he really is. 

I'm hoping the Kovy ship has sailed forever.  If Kovy were ever to come back (and it seems like even if this is the slightest bit "in the works", a LOT of obstacles will have to be overcome), then he comes off as a massive phony.  What, now suddenly Russia isn't home to him anymore?  Maybe he's just one of those guys who doesn't know what he wants, and can't ever truly be happy.  No matter what, a declining Kovy is going to be a lot more trouble than he's worth. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If he does come back here, I'll be convinced that his initial departure was collusion to get the Devils out of that contract.

I too would come to this conclusion, and if evidence came out , the nhl would have to fine the crap out of us again lol

i still think lou gave kovy his blessings, that contract was turning into a battleship anchor fast

Dino Costa, please, he couldn't even remember if Marty wore #30 or #31 (that happened here on this site...he made the same mistake TWICE in a post, then claimed it was a "typo" both times). He's the classic wannabe, in that he wants to be so much more important than he really is.

I'm hoping the Kovy ship has sailed forever. If Kovy were ever to come back (and it seems like even if this is the slightest bit "in the works", a LOT of obstacles will have to be overcome), then he comes off as a massive phony. What, now suddenly Russia isn't home to him anymore? Maybe he's just one of those guys who doesn't know what he wants, and can't ever truly be happy. No matter what, a declining Kovy is going to be a lot more trouble than he's worth.

I listened to his show on Sirius, and while he is definitely a loud mouth he wasn't one of these fake insider types. Still, he just started a new radio call in format of sorts, so this very well could be a ploy to get people to listen to him. But if he's right, could be a pretty big boon to him.

If he does come back and on reasonable contract terms we are definitely losing another first rounder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the least, I enjoy the speculation that goes into these things. First it the Kovalchuk the villain, but imagine if he got us out of that contract, signed here for 5 years or so, and was a productive player. Kovalchuk the hero. I understand just how far fetched this is, but part of me does hope it's true. I don't hate Kovalchuk the same way I hate Parise.

Or maybe I'm just thinking like a 16 year old girl, hoping that senior in high school comes back and really does love her like he said but in reality it was nothing more than a hit it and quit it

My First thought is maybe this is just a story from the kovy camp to test the waters and see if it's possible for him to make a return without sitting out a whole year.

Part of me feels bad for kovy at this point, I'm sure he was pressured into going back to Russia by his advisors, and when he spoke to Lou there wasn't much disagreement from the devils side (perhaps even encouragement to get out of the contract). Now he's at a point where he can't win either way.

If he does come back here, I'm convinced that his initial departure was collusion to get the Devils out of that contract.

..me too. In my head, I keep imagining this scene where Lou tells Kovy to go away, much like when Michael Corleone said goodbye to his family before fleeing to Italy.

3326960080_1709b0b87d.jpg

..between all this Kovy drama since we traded for him, and the Brodeur fiasco.. Lamoriello is really sitting on a gold-mine, in the form of a tell all autobiography.

Nothing surprises me with Kovy. Remember all those whispers we used to hear about him wanting to stay in russia. We thought this couldn't be true...but it was. 

Now this. 

He's still going to cost a pretty penny. Not anything like his old contract, but something that's going to be a burden for this team moving forward. Kovalchuk is 31 and on the decline. We need to move on from this. 

Nothing surprises me with Kovy. Remember all those whispers we used to hear about him wanting to stay in russia. We thought this couldn't be true...but it was.

Now this.

He's still going to cost a pretty penny. Not anything like his old contract, but something that's going to be a burden for this team moving forward. Kovalchuk is 31 and on the decline. We need to move on from this.

I guess the big difference now is that the Devils have all of the bargaining power (this is assuming the report that the Devils exclusively control his ability to come back after a year).

If he really felt going to the KHL was a mistake and wants back in to the NHL while he still has some speed left in him, the Devils could bring him back on relatively reasonable terms.

This really seems like click bait for Costa, but again the Kovy experience just gets weirder and weirder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk