GDT: New Jersey Devils @ New Yawk Islanders

Coorslight

still not where we need to be but a win is a win.

i liked teddy, but honestly didnt really see enough from Matteau to judge. but i agree greene wasn't where he needs to be but everyone else looked alright.

a little sloppy but i can only hope we have a new forward by Tuesday to feel comfortable.

Edited by Onddeck

Solid way to start the season with a win. I think Tedenby played excellent tonight. He was hard on the forecheck and set up some good plays and had an assist. Matteau looked good but need to see more of him. Seems like tuesday will be his kind of game. Marty was Marty. Kovy Zajac Zubrus seemed to have some good chemistry which is good for us.

A win is a win, but I'm still very nervous about these lines. Surely Matteau won't be on the team for much more of the year. Despite Clarkson's good game, I'm not certain I like him on the second line now.

Tedenby showed some great offense tonight, but I still need to see some more of his defensive game before I can form a fair opinion on what I think of him. I would like to see a bit more 5 on 5 time from Josefson. He's a very smart player, but it didn't seem like he had all that many opportunities tonight. I could be wrong about that, though.

Josefson has hardly skated all week - limiting him was a good move. He didn't get much 5 on 5 time but he got time on the PP and the PK.

Liked what Matteau brought - had a few rookie foul ups but I liked the energy, he didn't try to do too much.

Stephen Gionta cannot be playing 15 minutes a night at the NHL level though, something has to be done to nip that in the bud.

Pleasantly surprised by Matteau tonight. Said he was nervous but he looked pretty confident out there. Couple missed passes and minor mistakes, but no really poor decisions that I saw. Kept it simple. Used his size well for his age. Looks like he'll be a pretty solid bottom 6 forward for us very soon, if not this year.

Stephen Gionta cannot be playing 15 minutes a night at the NHL level though, something has to be done to nip that in the bud.

Why not? He didn't do anything wrong, nor has he in his progressively larger sample size. He was solid on the PK, his line established a solid forecheck, he has chemistry with Bernier and Carter, and he won a huge faceoff at the end. I see him as a below average 3rd liner or an elite 4th liner, but I see no reason he can't play decent NHL minutes.

Surely Matteau won't be on the team for much more of the year.

I'd like to see him play on a line without Cam before I judge him. If he plays with Josefson and Clarkson and does well, I don't see why he can't stick around. He's certainly better than the guys we have in the AHL. Now, if we bring in a decent forward and he's gonna be riding the pine, that's a different story.