Bruins White House Visit

peteyvegas

Dan Hampton skipped for political reasons. Mark Chmura skipped for moral reasons. Rasheed Wallace skipped for political reasons.

Theo Epsteim apparently as well, although I can only see references that it was political, no direct statement.

There are probably more, that's just a quick list.

Edited by Devils731

Mark Chmura skipped for moral reasons.

Chmura skipped because he didnt respect Bill Clinton and is a staunch Republican and used the Lewinsky scandal to leverage his decision in public, whereas since, hes stated he didnt go because Clinton is a democrat. Mark Chmura and morals lol.

So yea, there is precedent here, I completely forgot about Sheed too.

Edited by ghdi

So let me get this straight...........he doesn't go so he's now a "racist"?

Is that correct? You actually made that leap?

You were waiting for someone to pull this one out of the hat weren't you :uni: go on - admit it!

That was my first thought - I have to be honest "what? dont want to shake a black man's hand?"

And it is Boston we're talking about. Anyone here ever lived there? One of my friends accidentally walked into the wrong neighborhood. He was going to school up there - he was from Alabama. He sounded like a real cracker if you had your eyes shut. He was one of THE NICEST people I've ever known. and he was 18 - he looked grown up but he was such a little boy, so over-protected. He was shocked SHOCKED when he got jumped! I'll never forget as he told us the story -he leaned his back against the wall and slid slowly to the ground and burst into tears when he realized he got back to school safe and sound. but I digress -

anyhow - I know a LOT of psyco-morons in my neighborhood who would be that --- I can't even say dumb -- I have no words for people like that. Of course I dont think Thomas is ...

but you never know...

...I'm just sayin'

There are situations in which you are expected to act a representative of the organization to which you belong, regardless of your individual beliefs or opinions. Frankly I don't care that Thomas didn't go. The problem is that he insulted his team by using this opportunity to make an individual statement.

i completely agree with everything Thomas said, 100%. but listen, Obama wasn't asking for his support in the direction this country's going. Our President wanted to congratulate the team, on behalf of the country, for the stanley cup victory.

Thomas is trying to make a stand and get people to pay attention to it, but it just looks worse than he thought it would.

i completely agree with everything Thomas said, 100%. but listen, Obama wasn't asking for his support in the direction this country's going. Our President wanted to congratulate the team, on behalf of the country, for the stanley cup victory.

Thomas is trying to make a stand and get people to pay attention to it, but it just looks worse than he thought it would.

And much as I don't agree with his stand, he took an opportunity he earned by winning the Stanley Cup. Good for him having the balls to do it. That's what freedom is. If the Bruins had a problem with it, that's a different story, but it sounded like Chara didn't give a sh!t, and Chiarelli and Neely each chose not to stop him, even though they could have.

I asked the following:

1) Why is it racist as one poster alleged.........no answer.

2) Why is it "unpatriotic"...........

I never proffered an opinion as to whether this was good or not, yet I get a snide comment directed at me unwarranted.

Another brave keyboard typer.

politics is getting nasty in the US of A. all the "righties" will say, he's entitled to his opinion, "lefties" will say it's disrespectful. I still hate "W" but I'd gladly go if I won it.

TT used his position as a pro athlete to bullhorn his political views. I lost all respect for a guy I liked. No mas!

Also, because of this, after what Cam Neely said, his time in Bean town will be over soon. Where, somewhere he can think about it. Maybe, ....Columbus?

people say, "Glen Beck gets it" I don't get what people see in this guy?

2) Why is it "unpatriotic"...........

Well, if you insist upon having someone answer you, here goes:

You DO recall how during the Bush administration, any hint of disagreement or criticism of the President was automatically jumped on by the right and decried as unpatriotic at best and treason at worst, do you not? BTW, if you say "no", you're either lying or you have a very selective memory.

(And this kind of crap is why I locked myself out of the Politics forum.)

You DO recall how during the Bush administration, any hint of disagreement or criticism of the President was automatically jumped on by the right and decried as unpatriotic at best and treason at worst, do you not? BTW, if you say "no", you're either lying or you have a very selective memory.

don't get worked up over this, some people are extremist's and won't budge on issues of reasoning or understanding views from "the other side"

Well, I didn't bring up the fact that one poster alleged it was "unpatriotic" for Thomas to not go.

And yes, you are just another gullible liar who believes what you want. I want you to show me ONE example of someone being called unpatriotic for disagreeing with Bush.........it can't be done because it was a myth.

This is going way off course. All I wanted was an answer to why Thomas is a "bigot" as another alleged.

don't get worked up over this, some people are extremist's and won't budge on issues of reasoning or understanding views from "the other side"

Like Rowdy and Manta, etc

Well, I didn't bring up the fact that one poster alleged it was "unpatriotic" for Thomas to not go.

And yes, you are just another gullible liar who believes what you want. I want you to show me ONE example of someone being called unpatriotic for disagreeing with Bush.........it can't be done because it was a myth.

This is going way off course. All I wanted was an answer to why Thomas is a "bigot" as another alleged.

You know Thomas has 3 children and all of their names start with K

You know Thomas has 3 children and all of their names start with K

Ha, I saw that. Hiiiighly doubtful that has any meaning. That dumbass from TSN shouldn't have tweeted that... one thing if a comedian said it as a joke, but some news dude from TSN?

It's not like TT made some huge statement by not going, the only effect his not being there had was making himself look bad and putting his team mates in a sh!tty spot/overshadowing their day.

It's all good, I'm not getting worked up. Leeds wanted his answer, he got it.

You're joking, right?

You already know the answer, you're just hoping someone will come out and say it. Well, here you go: "bigot" is often the first shot taken by those who wish to defend Obama from criticism. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not, but it's an easy opener which buys time for the formation of better arguments.

Can't resist the personal attacks, can you?

It should be an apolitical event, so it's a little childish in Thomas's part. Otherwise it's not something I think about all that much or that I'm losing any sleep over one way orthe other.

Agreed.

Good for Thomas.

If I were given the chance to visit the white house, I think I would. I don't much care for Obama, but I'd still make the trip and meet the guy. I'd use the opportunity to ask a few questions of my own, off the record. Plus it's tradition.

But like many have said, he has every right to decline the invitation. I don't see it as disrespectful, or "not supporting the troops."(How exactly are you supporting the troops by going to the white house and giving one of the guys who sends our troops overseas a jersey ?) Is it a political statement? I think not. But regardless people will see it as one.