Bruins White House Visit

peteyvegas

Good for Thomas.

If I were given the chance to visit the white house, I think I would. I don't much care for Obama, but I'd still make the trip and meet the guy. I'd use the opportunity to ask a few questions of my own, off the record. Plus it's tradition.

But like many have said, he has every right to decline the invitation. I don't see it as disrespectful, or "not supporting the troops."(How exactly are you supporting the troops by going to the white house and giving one of the guys who sends our troops overseas a jersey ?) Is it a political statement? I think not. But regardless people will see it as one.

I am not a fan of Obama here as well and totally agree with this opinion

Good for Thomas.

If I were given the chance to visit the white house, I think I would. I don't much care for Obama, but I'd still make the trip and meet the guy. I'd use the opportunity to ask a few questions of my own, off the record. Plus it's tradition.

But like many have said, he has every right to decline the invitation. I don't see it as disrespectful, or "not supporting the troops."(How exactly are you supporting the troops by going to the white house and giving one of the guys who sends our troops overseas a jersey ?) Is it a political statement? I think not. But regardless people will see it as one.

I agree 100% with this post.

You're joking, right?

Like I figured......... all talking points, no facts.

You already know the answer, you're just hoping someone will come out and say it. Well, here you go: "bigot" is often the first shot taken by those who wish to defend Obama from criticism. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not, but it's an easy opener which buys time for the formation of better arguments.

We agree..........well I'll be.......

Can't resist the personal attacks, can you?

Hmmmmm......you didn't call out the personal attack on me, I'm shocked.

If he simply didn't accompany the team to the White House and left it at that, I don't think it would be such a big deal. The part of it that has everyone's hackles up is that he got on his soapbox and made a political statement about it.

If he simply didn't accompany the team to the White House and left it at that, I don't think it would be such a big deal. The part of it that has everyone's hackles up is that he got on his soapbox and made a political statement about it.

Was he asked, or did he call a press conference.

Probably didn't read his remarks off a teleprompter either.

Is it a political statement? I think not. But regardless people will see it as one.

po·lit·i·cal/pəˈlitikəl/

1. Of or relating to the government or the public affairs of a country.

Saying "I believe the Federal government has grown out of control" may not be partisan, but it is absolutely political.

Edited by David Puddy
  • Like 2

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/01/23/tea-partier-tim-thomas-explains-shunning-the-bruins-white-house-invite/

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT”

i understand that, but he also said himself, "This was not about politics or party"

Bottom Line: It was an apolitical event and Thomas decided to make it political with his response. He, along with all those who didn't show up with Bush just should have sucked it up and viewed it as an honor by the office of the prresident not the officeholder.

Any excuse for a RWinger to grandstand. I'm sure Thomas would have been first in line to shake Dubya's hand even though Bush tailspinned us from projected surplus to masiive deficit and grew the Government(especially the Black Helicopter sections that Right Wingers fear) by a huge amount.

Where was he during that presidency? Oh, yeah, I forgot, he was a sh*tty backup on a sh*tty Bruins team.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Thomas release his statement after the team met with Obama? I don't think he was trying to stir up any trouble. I took his statement as a way for him to address the media that was probably hounding him to get some sort of explanation.

This is how I feel as well, it's not like he tried to make a big commotion about not going, it was just a personal decision that he (and many others throughout the past) have made, and when asked about it he simply answered. It's not like he was trying to make a big deal out of it. How often does every member of the team attend this thing? If he doesn't want to pretend to support the government by attending, then he shouldn't have to. If you think he should have just gone anyway then fine, when you win the Stanley Cup you can go to the event. No need to push your opinions on others.

i understand that, but he also said himself, "This was not about politics or party"

Whether he thinks it is or not, it is a political statement. It's like those people on YouTube who upload pop songs, music videos, movies, etc. and put "no copyright violation intended". It doesn't matter what he intended. It's intrinsically political.

Was he asked, or did he call a press conference.

Probably didn't read his remarks off a teleprompter either.

That's funny since Obama is the first President to use a teleprompt...oh wait!

Bush%20on%20Abe%20Lincoln%20Mission%20Accomplished%20small-thumb-425x278.jpg

Don't let the cognitive dissonanace hit you on the a$$ on your way out, Jimmy!

Next you're going to rag Obama as the first president to never attend a hockey game.

Edited by CarpathianForest

http://thebiglead.co...e-house-invite/

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT”

There's been numerous athletes that refused to go to the "Photo Op" White House champion sport sessions, nothing new there, but it's already political because the Federal government invited the sports team(s). But the hypocrisy of the White House itself, just a few weeks ago, refused NBA champions' Dallas Mavericks' Delonte West visitation with his team to the White House. Apparently, West had a prior conviction on his record the White House didn't agree with and unpopular for the White House to host such a person. Now, if you want to talk about politicizing, there's a prefect example.

For Tim Thomas, It's his personal rights to do as he wishes, because he realizes government is slowly taking our God given and US Constitutional rights away, especially with the latest "acts" signed into law, like; Patriot(nothing patriotic about it), Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act(called the Thought Crime Bill), FISA, SOPA, ACTA, PIPA, Citizens United, NDAA. etc, etc, acts. Tim Thomas, as an American, appears to be quite acute and informed about the course of the country, our laws. He understands the US Constitution, and our God given rights, which are bestow up all. What he was trying to state is, this is not about left/right partisan bickering or singling-out a particular party or person, but about our government of all 3 branches, systematically taking away our rights and liberties bestowed upon all of us.

He has every right to do so and anybody may do the same(your choice), no matter who, in whatever office, house, or building. In a round about way, I'm glad TT brought this to attention to so many.

This statement right here shows that Thomas just doesn't get it. He, Tim Thomas, was not invited to the White House. His team, the Boston Bruins were and their invitation had everything to do with hockey. I believe he thought that he would be raising some sort of awareness for American rights or whatnot but it backfired and he's taking heat. If he wanted to blog about his views on politics his or dislike for the way things are than that's fine but he just made an ass out of himself here. By the way, I agree with what he's said as far as the politics.

"Q. Do you expect it to go away?

THOMAS: "Ah … I think it should. I think it should. Why? Because it's all media driven right now. It has been from the start."

"And everything I said and did was as an individual, not as a representative of the Boston Bruins. All it has to do is with me, but it's separate from hockey. That's my personal life. Those are my personal views. Those are my personal beliefs. It has nothing to do with hockey. It has nothing to do with this All-Star Game. And it has nothing to do with the Boston Bruins."