Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread

nyrsuck26

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

CC to DL, Garcia to rotation, ugh!!!! This came out of nowhere!!!!

Sabathia has a strained left adductor muscle. Felt it during his start Sunday but didn't tell the team until yesterday.

— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN)

June 27, 2012

"Sabathia has a strained left adductor muscle. Felt it during his start Sunday but didn't tell the team until yesterday."

Girardi said he expects Sabathia to return after the All Star break. He should only miss two starts.

— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN)

June 27, 2012

"Girardi said he expects Sabathia to return after the All Star break. He should only miss two starts."

Seems like this is more of a precaution, than a real worrisome injury, and one I agree with. No need to put your ace at risk of greater injury in June, for the sake of having a better chance of winning two games.

Yankees LHP Andy Pettitte suffered a left ankle fracture. He will be placed on crutches & into a boot. Anticipated healing time is 6 weeks.

— New York Yankees (@Yankees)

June 27, 2012

"Yankees LHP Andy Pettitte suffered a left ankle fracture. He will be placed on crutches & into a boot. Anticipated healing time is 6 weeks."

When I woke up this morning, I didn't expect to the Yankees to lose 2 key guys like this. Tough breaks sometimes.

Yankees LHP Andy Pettitte suffered a left ankle fracture. He will be placed on crutches & into a boot. Anticipated healing time is 6 weeks.

— New York Yankees (@Yankees)

June 27, 2012

"Yankees LHP Andy Pettitte suffered a left ankle fracture. He will be placed on crutches & into a boot. Anticipated healing time is 6 weeks."

When I woke up this morning, I didn't expect to the Yankees to lose 2 key guys like this. Tough breaks sometimes.

What a freakin' year. Pineda.. CC.. Joba.. Mo.. Robertson.. and now Andy. Yet still the best in baseball.

Testament to this teams depth.

Yanks are in trouble.

Wonder what kind of rumors we're going to be involved in now lol

Its already begun lol

@Buster_ESPN

Wouldn't shock me if NYY took a run at Francisco Liriano before July 31. If he doesn't work out as a starter, could be used as set-up man.

Edited by ghdi

What a freakin' year. Pineda.. CC.. Joba.. Mo.. Robertson.. and now Andy. Yet still the best in baseball.

Testament to this teams depth.

I'm glad this team is resilient and fights through everything. I'm glad Robertson already came back, Aardsma is a few weeks away, and Joba should follow after that. Hopefully CC only misses the 2 starts they expect him to and this isn't a lingering issue. Looks like late-August/early-September is when Pettitte will be back. I guess this will save his arm a bit (trying to stay positive).

Yanks are in trouble.

Wonder what kind of rumors we're going to be involved in now lol

Its already begun lol

They were probably going to be linked to every starter on the market and now all the rumor guys will get a chance to start going haywire now. I'd be shocked if they made a move for Liriano given how bad he's been. I don't buy into the Wandy Rodriguez rumors at all but they've been connected to him for years. I have serious doubts he would ever have success in the AL East and at YS. The media also seems to love bringing up Zack Greinke but its pretty much on record that the Yankees would never pursue him.

One guy I would like them to pursue if they feel the need would be Matt Garza. He's 28 and has had success in the AL East. Career numbers: 7.57 K/9 3.05 BB/9 1.00 HR/9 1.29 WHIP 3.85 ERA 3.98 FIP

He's not a perfect pitcher but he's solid. Considering all the Yankees starters outside of CC have HR/9's above 1, I wouldn't get too hung up on it. He's also arbitration elgible for 2013 before hitting free agency in 2014 so there isn't a long term committment. I don't know what the cost was but I'd imagine the Cubs would ask for Banuelos, one of Phelps/Warren/Mitchell, and perhaps a low level hitter like Tyler Austin.

Insightful yet horrific story on Japan's old school baseball upbringing that Kuroda had to endure and survive. I highly recommend reading this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/sports/baseball/in-japan-yankees-hiroki-kuroda-was-molded-by-pain.html

As a boy, he sneaked away from an abusive high school coach to gulp water from a polluted river. He saw some of his teammates, desperate with thirst, drink from a puddle, and he heard of others who would do so from a toilet.

Now, 20 years on, Hiroki Kuroda shook his head and actually laughed a little when recalling — and trying to explain — the hardships he endured as a boy trying to follow his father’s footsteps and play professional baseball in Japan.

“It was a generation,” Kuroda said through an interpreter, “when coaches believed you should not drink water.”

Born in 1975, Kuroda is one of the last of a cohort of Japanese players who grew up in a culture in which staggeringly long work days and severe punishment were normal, and in which older players could haze younger ones with impunity.

• 3 weeks later...

So, basically for nothing. :)

That is exactly why I like this trade even though I used to dislike Ichiro. It was about time that they traded one of their depth pitchers at the AAA level. We all knew how horrendous of a year Ichiro was having at the plate (.281 wOBA 77 wRC+), but I didn't realize how strong his defense still was (15.6 UZR, 25.9 UZR/150 this year).

Doesn't hurt to add a veteran with speed and defense. Its too bad his on-base skills have declined so much so he doesn't get to use his speed on the base paths like he used to. The Ibanez/Jones platoon has been better than expected this year but I like having more options for Girardi.

I do have to say that it is extremely weird to see him in a Yankees uniform.

Ugh more injury news....A-Rod has a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal in his left hand and is going to the DL. We won't have a timetable until he gets checked out in NY. All because Felix forgot how to throw the fvcking ball over the plate and hit 3 guys. Then the reliever came in and knocked Ibanez down. None of those were intentional but it would be nice to see Nova drill a Mariner in the 1st inning tomorrow.

This team has really gotten hit hard by the injury bug this year.

Ugh more injury news....A-Rod has a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal in his left hand and is going to the DL. We won't have a timetable until he gets checked out in NY. All because Felix forgot how to throw the fvcking ball over the plate and hit 3 guys. Then the reliever came in and knocked Ibanez down. None of those were intentional but it would be nice to see Nova drill a Mariner in the 1st inning tomorrow.

This team has really gotten hit hard by the injury bug this year.

Which makes it all the more impressive that they have been able to build such a commanding lead in the AL East.

I actually don't think losing A-Rod will be that big of a deal. This team has plenty of power all around, and it's no secret that A-Rod hadn't been having the best of years.

Have they said how long he will be out yet?

I forgot to post this fangraphs interview with Phil Hughes the other day. Great interview, a lot of insightful answers from Hughes. The part that stuck out to me was how much that hamstring injury in 2007 changed him.

Going through some random minor league numbers tonight, 3 pitching prospects Yankees fans should look out for in the coming years: Brett Marshall (22-RHSP-AA), Mark Montgomery (21-RHP-AA), Nik Turley (22-LHSP-A+). These guys aren't the top pitching prospects in the organization but have had solid seasons and could contribute down the road. Montgomery is being fast tracked through the system Robertson style and K's a ton of guys like D-Rob.

Yankees get 3B Casey McGehee for Chad Qualls...so esentially nothing. McGehee has disappointed his past 2 seasons at the plate (68, 83 wRC+) after a decent first 2 years (124, 114 wRC+). He has a notable split this year hitting LHP (119 wRC+) versus RHP (67 wRC+). He's got some power too (.159 ISO). His career UZR is -2.4 at 3rd in 3,198.1 innings (-1.0 UZR/150) but he's been a positive defender the past 2 seasons (6.5, 2.5). Decent bench pick up with the injury situation. Solid deal by Cashman to take away a guy that was going to be DFA'd when Joba comes back in a few days and to turn him into something.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no doubt this team is going to the playoffs, perhaps even with the best record in the AL. I am not feeling too great about their chances right now because of the rotation. First, I have to say there is no need to worry about Kuroda who has been absolutely superb (167 IP 6.74 K/9 2.05 BB/9 1.12 WHIP 52.0 GB% 2.96 ERA 3.70 FIP 3.3 WAR) - he's been the ace of the staff with CC injured. However, I do worry about Pettitte returning to form from a lengthy injury after pitching just 58 some odd innings. He was impressive in his comeback and hopefully this injury doesn't mess him up.

I'm really hoping that CC can get through this nagging injury and that all of the innings he's pitched the past few years don't come back to haunt him this year. The Yankees will desperately need him, Kuroda, and Pettitte to be on their games to have any shot of advancing in the playoffs.

I am really getting frustrated with the battle for the 4th rotation spot in October. Hughes has been so inconsistent its to the point that it is maddening to watch him pitch. Its almost a given that he's going to give up the long ball and you have to hope no one is on base when it happens. He has a major league low 32.7 GB% and is 2nd in the majors with a 1.77 HR/9. The scary part is he is actually a better option than Nova who has been an outright disaster.

Nova benefited from a .283 BABIP in 2011 and this year the baseball gods have turned against him as he has a .334 BABIP. His K/9 and BB/9 are actually better this year but his 1.37 HR/9 is dreadful as well as his 46.4 GB% when you compare it to 52.7% last year. He also leads the majors with a 11.3 XBH%. Honestly, if this keeps up, they have to get him out of there.

I'd rather see Phelps take Nova's spot in the rotation. He's been solid all year which is saying something considering the fact he's had so many different roles and obstacles to overcome (long reliever, spot starter, middle reliever, AAA upstate NY bus rider). In 63.2 IP he has a 9.33 K/9 2.83 BB.9 2.69 ERA 3.79 FIP. Those peripheral numbers should regress a bit if he is a starter but the fact remains he could probably do better than Nova and maybe Hughes and deserves a shot.

I don't want to forget that Garcia has really stepped up and been fine as the 5th starter, but I don't want him to get that 4th spot in the playoffs. Right now, I think its a race between Hughes and Phelps, and that along with the injuries scare me about the Yankees run at another WS.

• 3 weeks later...

Also why I am on the pissing train:

To say Curtis Granderson 2012 season has been a disappointment would be an understatement. Down to a .339 wOBA and 110 wRC+ AND -17.2 UZR in CF - HORRIBLE!!! Just 1.7 WAR. At least the 2014 austerity plan is easier now - he just won't be here.

I don't think you can state enough how badly this team is missing Gardner this year...

Teixeira having the worst season of his career outside of his rookie year and got re-injured on the final play. Getting paid an awful lot for an awful (by his standards) .347 wOBA and 116 wRC+. At least his defense is still great.

Ibanez and Jones are absolutely atrocious.

The catching disaster isn't even worth talking about...I can't even get into the pitching at this hour...

Sorry, rant over. I'm pissed.