2012-13 AHL/ECHL Thread

RowdyFan42

Titans were up by 2 with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd. They blew it and lost the game 5-4 in OT. Not impressed by either Clermont or Wedge tonight. Wedge made 1 nice save but a bad performance by him... Clermont made one of the most awful mistakes you'll ever see a golie make that resulted in a goal. He came out and played the puck from the circle and mishandled it, Titans scored off of the turnover.

Went to morning skate (really a full blown practice almost) at Norfolk Scope this morning. I hung by the team as most Albany watched the Admirals practice before they took the ice. Recognized most but a couple of guys. About 7-8 went to play soccer in the hallway. Surprised how big Larrson was, and JJ too Teddy looks a lot thicker too. Urbom./Gelinas both tall, but kinda skinny.

Can't wait for the game

It's always easier to tone someone's shooting down than to force them to shoot. Larsson is below his NHL rate, which scares me.

I doubt he's being used on the first unit of the PP in Albany - you'll recall that's where he was being used last year up until the Devils got Kurtis Foster.

Whitney played point on pp 1st. they had 2- 5 on 3's and did nothing. Frazee was good last night. both Admirals goals came in the 1st, identical. point shot, rebound Marron slams it home. Absolutely horrible officiating last night. Larrson didn't look especially good. JJ didn't play, or he played maybe on shift. He practiced with everyone in the AM. I thought Urbom was pretty darn good. Mcpherson used on primarily on PK, which was a lot last night. W/ the exception of Leach, we have no "snarl" back there on the blue line.

Soiled a great game by Kinkaid . They played well overall throughout the game. However after Butler's goal, which was great (in lots of traffic-composed), they dumped and chased (changed lines constantly) and spent last 3-4 minutes entirely in d-zone. Emerson Etem got the goal, and the OT goal as well. He went coast to coast, and blew by whoever the d-man was (I think McPherson-who had a very good game btw))

Took my family for a 2 hour drive from Richmond to catch Saturday Night's game at Scope. I was really impressed with Kinkaid until late in the game when he gave up the tying and game winner in OT. The defense was awesome most of the game until the collapse at the end. There were a few dozen Devils fan in attendance scattered throughout the Arena. The Admirals fans were cordial to us and a few even remembered me from the old Hampton Roads Admirals vs. Richmond Renegades rivalry from the 90's. The game ,however, only slightly eased my NHL withdrawals. Its going to be a long, dreary Spring in the lockout doesn't end by Super Bowl !

Thinking about the Devils depth chart - the D signed for next year at the NHL level are:

Volchenkov

Tallinder

Greene

Fayne

Larsson

UFAs:

Harrold

Zidlicky

D for next year otherwise:

Urbom

Gelinas

Burlon

Scarlett

Hraberenka (I think he'll get an ELC)

Helgeson? (I don't think he'll get a contract)

McPherson? (I'm not sure he will get an NHL contract, but he's managed 25 games this year)

Merrill? (I don't really see why he would stay for a 4th year in college)

Gedig? (He could leave after 3 years)

with UFA:

Leach (I don't think he will be re-signed)

RFA:

Corrente (I think the Devils might finally say goodbye, his body just can't withstand north american pro hockey)

Kelly (hard to say what his future is)

Young (he'll be on an AHL contract if he comes back at all)

So the depth chart might look something like this in 2013-14, assuming no trades

Greene-Fayne

Tallinder-Larsson

Salvador-Urbom

X

Gelinas-Merrill

Burlon-Scarlett

AHL vet-Hraberenka

The year after that will bring Merrill, Gedig, and Severson into the fold for 'sure' ('sure' meaning I assume Merrill and Gedig will be signed by then) - depth chart then:

Greene-Larsson

Volchenkov-?

Salvador-Urbom (waiver eligible in 2014-15)

Merrill

Gelinas

Burlon?

Gedig

Scarlett

Severson

Hraberenka

Anyway, this is all a long-winded way of saying that the Devils can afford to trade one of Merrill, Gelinas, or Urbom in addition to trading one of Tallinder, Greene, or Volchenkov. D prospects are far from being a sure thing, but if you collect enough of them you're bound to hit on a few. Furthermore, I think the D UFA market is much more easily beaten than the forward market - the Devils have Greene, Tallinder, and Volchenkov as UFAs they signed - Tallinder and Greene are bargains, Volchenkov is not, but that's a good ratio nonetheless.

Edited by Triumph

Thinking about the Devils depth chart - the D signed for next year at the NHL level are:

Volchenkov

Tallinder

Greene

Fayne

Larsson

UFAs:

Harrold

Zidlicky

D for next year otherwise:

Urbom

Gelinas

Burlon

Scarlett

Hraberenka (I think he'll get an ELC)

Helgeson? (I don't think he'll get a contract)

McPherson? (I'm not sure he will get an NHL contract, but he's managed 25 games this year)

Merrill? (I don't really see why he would stay for a 4th year in college)

Gedig? (He could leave after 3 years)

with UFA:

Leach (I don't think he will be re-signed)

RFA:

Corrente (I think the Devils might finally say goodbye, his body just can't withstand north american pro hockey)

Kelly (hard to say what his future is)

Young (he'll be on an AHL contract if he comes back at all)

So the depth chart might look something like this in 2013-14, assuming no trades

Greene-Fayne

Tallinder-Larsson

Salvador-Urbom

X

Gelinas-Merrill

Burlon-Scarlett

AHL vet-Hraberenka

The year after that will bring Merrill, Gedig, and Severson into the fold for 'sure' ('sure' meaning I assume Merrill and Gedig will be signed by then) - depth chart then:

Greene-Larsson

Volchenkov-?

Salvador-Urbom (waiver eligible in 2014-15)

Merrill

Gelinas

Burlon?

Gedig

Scarlett

Severson

Hraberenka

Anyway, this is all a long-winded way of saying that the Devils can afford to trade one of Merrill, Gelinas, or Urbom in addition to trading one of Tallinder, Greene, or Volchenkov. D prospects are far from being a sure thing, but if you collect enough of them you're bound to hit on a few. Furthermore, I think the D UFA market is much more easily beaten than the forward market - the Devils have Greene, Tallinder, and Volchenkov as UFAs they signed - Tallinder and Greene are bargains, Volchenkov is not, but that's a good ratio nonetheless.

Good post.

I prefer to put the defensemen in tiers. This is of course excluding Harrold and Zidlicky.

Untouchable

Larsson

Fayne

Unmoveable

Salvador- awful contract

Volchenkov- awful contract + NTC

Trade Bait

Greene

Tallinder

Obviously I'd like to hang on to Tallinder and Greene, but I dont think its possible to keep both since we have some NHL ready prospects.

I'll tier the prospects just for the hell of it

Tier 1

Merrill

Urbom

Gelinas

Severson

Tier 2

Scarlett

Burlon

McPherson

I'll stop there as the rest virtually have zero value.

I dont think it makes sense to trade Merrill because his value is probably at its lowest after the suspension and recent injury. He also has the highest upside. That leaves Severson, Urbom and Gelinas. The more I think, the more I realize that it makes the most sense to trade Urbom. He's probably the most NHL ready and I think Larsson has made him redundant.

Now the question is, what could a package of Tallinder/Greene + Urbom fetch? First, lets see who is in need of defense.

Minnesota- Suter (bleh), Spurgeon, Gilbert, Falk, Scandella

St. Louis- Pietrangelo, Jackman, Shattenkirk, Cole, Polak, Huskins

Calgary- J Bo, Brodie, Giordano, Wideman, Babchuk, Sarich

Here are some potential offers. Greene/Tallinder + Urbom for:

Minnesota-

Setoguchi + pick

St. Louis-

1. Chris Stewart or Patrik Berglund. (Both are RFA though)

2. D'Agostini + a pick (RFA)

Calgary-

1. Glencross (this is longshot)

2. Tanguay