2011 New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

I figure since the offseason is in full swing and they're no longer the defending champs it was time for a new thread. I'll start it off with a question Derek posed in the old thread.

Does anyone care about how poorly the Yankees are handling this Jeter negotiation?

This is just my opinion...but I think (as usual) the media is really making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I think that the Yankees offer of 3/45 was fair and I applaud Cashman for playing hard ball. There is no way Jeter would get a deal even close to that from another team nor would he want to ruin his legacy by leaving the Yankees. The Yankees have all the leverage in this and it's nice to see them play this tough. While I had no problem with anything they said (even Hank for once and I can't stand him) they probably should have never went public with some of those comments. I still think it's a matter of time until the deal is done and this is all forgotten.

The Yanks really arent handling these negotions that poorly.. like you said, the media may be blowing it out of proportion and there is no way a team would pay DJ much more than we would. With the contract we're offering him now, Jeter would still be like the highest paid shortstop in the league. Many argue that the yanks should be nicer to DJ for being the man he has- but really, maybe Jeter should respect his team's idea and understand that it may be in their interest to save some of that money, and the contract isnt that low in the first place.

I will say though, if the yanks are gonna overpay the majority of their players (specifically Vasquez and Burnet) why dont they do so for a better, and much more meaningful player in Jeter.

With everything said, I'll have to agree with thefiestygoat and say that everyone's gonna forget this story when Jeter signs soon and all is well.

Go Yanks.

Apparently there is "renewed optimism" in the Jeter talks. I'm guessing this will all end in a week or so with a 3 year deal in the low $50M range, and this is soon forgotten.

Translation: Jeter and his agent have realized their demands are a little too high and both sides are conducting resaonable negotiations.

I respect agents for wanting to get the most for their client and don't begrudge Jeter at all for wanting all the money he can get, but their starting point on this was absurd.

Yankees Jeter Rumored to Be Close on Deal

The sides are believed to now be in the neighborhood of $19 million annually. Jeter averaged $18.9 million over the 10-year deal that expired at the end of this season.

The source said it is still unlikely that the Yankees will offer Jeter a guaranteed fourth year, but may have agreed to a vesting fourth year with reachable parameters.

I don't know how this wasn't posted already:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5884052

NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees came to terms on his new contract after a final face-to-face meeting, which occurred in the New York area on Saturday, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Jeter, agent Casey Close, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner, president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman all were present.

The meeting took place to complete the contract and heal wounds that occurred during the testy negotiations.

According to an official with knowledge of the contract, the guaranteed portion is $51 million over three years. There's an $8 million player option for a fourth year. The guaranteed portion includes a $3 million buyout if Jeter were to decline the option for 2014. If he exercises it, he would earn a total of $56 million over the four seasons

Thoughts on the deal?

Red Sox acquire Adrien Gonzales...dangerous hitter...don't like this one at all.

Orioles acquire Mark Reynolds in theory, if he doesn't strike out at the physcial.

Here comes the big movements, wonder if we'll be in on something, like a Cliff Lee signing. And for the record, I want nothing to do with Crawford if his deal goes far north of what Werth signed, which is just a stupid deal.

Certainly the length of time this is taking does not bode well for the Yankees. I'd be more confident if Cashman was being more publicly proactive. Remember when they signed CC, Cashman was flying all over the country trying to get it done.

I still think that in the end he takes the money from Yanks but every day that passes I am less sure.

Certainly the length of time this is taking does not bode well for the Yankees. I'd be more confident if Cashman was being more publicly proactive. Remember when they signed CC, Cashman was flying all over the country trying to get it done.

I still think that in the end he takes the money from Yanks but every day that passes I am less sure.

It would ease my mind a bit if Cashman was being more publicly aggressive but at the same time I trust him to play it right. I'm sure Lee wants his space which is why Cashman has been pretty behind the scenes on this.

I never bought into this "mystery team" stuff and when my brother texted me to say that there actually was one and it was the Phillies I laughed it off, replying that I seriously doubt he goes there. Now I'm seeing all of these rumors on twitter (not sure how valid any of them are) that he would like to pitch with Halladay and take less money to go back, I am starting to worry it could actually come true.

Then again, Olney did tweet today to say that Lee's agent did contact Cashman so who knows if this is all a ploy to get some last minute raise from the Yankees.

Ok, so I've calmed down and this isn't the end of the world. I have faith in Cashman, there is no other GM I'd want. Hopefully Pettitte comes back, that would really help out. I expect another strong year out of CC. Hopefully Hughes puts together another nice year. As crazy as it sounds I expect AJ to have a better season working with this new pitching coach who had to prove to Cashman he could help him out. Nova is fine as a 5th starter.

Joel Sherman has reported they have already been told no on guys like Johnson, Hernandez, Danks, etc. He also said they are not high on a Greinke deal. A deal for Buerhle could really work and if they pull that out and Pettitte returns they should be fine.

Should be interesting to see what Cashman does. Keep the faith! Go Yankees!

This is a lot like Scott Niedermayer and the Devils. By waiting around for Lee/Niedermayer all of the other top free agents are off the board.

You have more faith in Cashman than I do. Do you trade Montero and others to bring in a front line starter? Are you OK with taking big risk on Webb or a Wang reunion? Because those are your options right now. The Yankees are not a young team. Their window for winning gets smaller by the year. I don't think you can just suck up 2011 and try to be better in 2012.

Right now I see the Yankees as the third best team in the division. This is not a playoff team.

Better he signed with an NL club than Texas.

This is a lot like Scott Niedermayer and the Devils. By waiting around for Lee/Niedermayer all of the other top free agents are off the board.

Nothing personal, but thats a very flimsy comparison. Niedermayer was a career Devil to that point and not a free agent coming from somewhere else. Niedermayer was given the benefit of the doubt because of where he came from to begin with. It was also a weak defensive free agent market that year. The pitching market this year was incredibly weak outside of Lee. Our problem is starting pitching, who else was available? The target was always going to be Lee and everyone knew that.

The Hot Stove is not over. We can invest a lot of money into the bullpen and bench and maybe trade for a starter either before spring training or wait until July. Boston is definitely better, but not unbeatable. Sabathia, Hughes, Andy (if he comes back) is a solid 3 starter rotation. Burnett may bounce back as well.

I dont blame Lee for choosing Philly. He left a lot of money on the table to go play somewhere he was familiar with, that he enjoyed, and to be on a possibly historic staff. Texas is the one who hurts the most from this.

Edited by ghdi