2011 New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Yanks giving BC an invite..

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6060943

..I like the move. With no news coming out on Andy.. Bartolo can eat up innings, if he looks like he's got something left in the tank.

Agreed. It can't hurt.

Now the Yankees are going to have 2 pitchers (Prior and Colon) who were out of baseball with injuries all last season. Not a huge fan of this move. I'm praying that Petitte comes back for one more season.

Mike

I believe Colon has an opt out if he isn't on the big league roster at the end of spring training. The signing can't hurt but I would be shocked if they get anything out of it, hell, I don't think Colon has a shot of making it out of spring training. Plus it's not even like he can be an inning eater - the guy hasn't cracked 100 innings pitched since 2005. I'd still say that Phelps and Noesi have more of a shot than Colon.

I'm sure Cashman is still exploring trade possibilities, I have faith in him that he will get something done at some point.

I think you Yankees fans might enjoy this, especially ones who are big on the Joba debate. Garik16 is a contributor at BtB who writes spectacular pitchFX articles, and he essentially goes over Joba Chamberlain's career to date here: http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/1/28/1956637/the-three-joba-chamberlains-the-legend-the-ace-and-the-reliever#storyjump

He basically concludes that while Joba might be not the ace-like starter he was in 2008 (pre-injury), as well as being difficult to project as a starter going forward, its a worthy risk to try him out in that role again where he could bring better value opposed to Joba the reliever.

Definitely worth a read though to see how Joba's stuff has altered over the past 3 years.

Edited by nmigliore

Honestly, I dont think he is a starter. His last time in the rotation, he barely went 5 innings before he went kaput. He just didn't have that aura as a starter that he did when he first came up.

Mike

Great read nmigliore, thanks for the link. I've always been in the Joba is a starter camp...it's no secret that even an average starter is more valuable than a great reliever, but I really think that the Yankees know his shoulder is more fragile than we think. I just can't see a smart man like Cashman keeping him in the bullpen if he was fully healthy. It sucks to think of what could've been but hopefully Pettitte comes back and/or Nova does well enough to be the 4 guy in the rotation. I still wouldn't be shocked if Cashman pulls a trade off anytime before spring training too.

Hopefully at least one of the B's (Banuelos, Betances, Brackman) develops into a top of the rotation starter while one or two of Nova, Phelps, Noesi, and Warren develops into a decent starter at the major league level to help ease the pain. Big year for pitching at the AA and AAA levels, that's for sure. Hopefully none of these guys end up killing their prospect status/trade value like McAllister last year.

From what I heard, out of the three B's, Brackman is the closest to being major league ready and he's projected by Cashman to be a bullpen guy. I hope I read wrong on that cause Cash was so proud of the young arms in the system. Would hate that there is not a top flight starter among them.

Mike

Yankees sign Freddy Garcia

Can't hurt.. it's only a minor league deal. Whether it's Colon or Garcia, one of them should pan out and become a 4th starter. (which is really all we need out of either of them anyway) I'm gonna give FG the slight edge here, only because he pitched last year.. but who knows.

..anyway, I like this move.

Well see how this works. He has a slow fastball and is a flyball ptcher. Never a good combo.

Mike

Colon and Garcia are both no risk, but probably no reward. It'd be nice if one of them pans out even for a little bit but I'm not getting my hopes up. I still have a decent amount of hope that Pettitte will eventually come back and I think Nova should be fine for a rookie.

Anyone that likes to follow the minors check out this interesting Q and A that Josh Norris did with Mark Newman.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that Albert Pujols will most likely hit free agency next year, everyone in the world is speculating that the Yankees or Red Sox are going to hand him an A-Rod deal...and I have to wonder why? (aside from having cash to burn)

I mean, it'd be amazing for about five-seven of those years to have one of the best hitters in baseball's history on this team. But don't both teams seem loaded up on the infield? (This of course assumes you're going to put Albert in the infield and not OF/DH: he's played practically every position in the game at some point in his carerr, but I doubt you put him at 2B/SS at 32 with his size and speed.)

NYY: Texeira, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod - I guess if you let Swish or Posada walk you could try to shuffle the defense around...while he's never played it before in New York I imagine Tex could play third if asked, then you put A-Rod in right field/DH. Or there's always trading Tex or A-Rod...the Cubs or Angels might be desperate enough if Albert doesn't sign with them...but I don't know if anyone would take on that deal or if we'd get fair market value for them because of the massive deals. Also, it's tough to say how Tex would perform at 3rd...his limited sample size from his rookie year (2003) is very UZR-negative, and that's the last time he's played third.

Boston: Gonzales, Pedroia, Scutaro, Youkalis - you just extended Gonzales, and AFAIK he's 1B/DH only. You're not moving Pedroia or Scutaro/other to put Albert there. Which would leave Youk as odd man out, assuming that either Gonzales or Pujols is willing to shift to third. I don't know all of Boston's contract situations other than Scutaro and Cameron coming off the books in the near future. The only reason I could see Boston signing on is because Ortiz is due to hit FA very soon, and having Pujols and Gonzales rotate 1B/DH would be better than keeping Gonzales at 1B and Ortiz at DH.

And that contract is going to turn into an albatross by the last two years if we assume it's A-Rod in length and cash. Can anyone predict Albert Pujols keeping this pace up to his age 41 season?

Truthfully, I can see this ending in either a Cardinals or Cubs uniform...I'm sure the Cubs are going to be sending him every signal that he's welcome to name his price for the Windy City...but one never knows. Eveyrone assumed Cliff Lee was a Yankee, and here he is in a Phillies uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

In the spirit of NHL trade deadline day....

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/42324511504334848

Bob Nightengale of USA Today just told us that he thinks its possible that Liriano is traded to the Yanks in nxt 2 weeks for Nova or Joba +

I'm down for this depending on what the plus is. Joba is a reliever so he doesn't hold a lot of value plus the bullpen is strong so he is expendable. Nova is a solid back end rotation prospect but with the the depth they have (Killer B's, Phelps, Noesi, Warren, and Stoneburner) he is more than expendable. As long as they aren't giving up any of the Killer B's, Montero, Sanchez, or Romine I'm down.

In the spirit of NHL trade deadline day....

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/42324511504334848

I'm down for this depending on what the plus is. Joba is a reliever so he doesn't hold a lot of value plus the bullpen is strong so he is expendable. Nova is a solid back end rotation prospect but with the the depth they have (Killer B's, Phelps, Noesi, Warren, and Stoneburner) he is more than expendable. As long as they aren't giving up any of the Killer B's, Montero, Sanchez, or Romine I'm down.

He is using some Єklund (2.3% accurate) words like 'think' and 'possible'. It is also possible that Cliff Lee is traded to the Yankees in the next two weeks for Andruw Jones and AJ Burnett.

Liriano is a bit of a health risk, but he has the talent to be one of the best pitchers in the game (and he was last year, if you look past the ERA -- his FIP was 3rd best in the Majors while his xFIP was 2nd best). If I were Minnesota, talks would have to begin with Montero or Banuelos.

Liriano is a bit of a health risk, but he has the talent to be one of the best pitchers in the game (and he was last year, if you look past the ERA -- his FIP was 3rd best in the Majors while his xFIP was 2nd best). If I were Minnesota, talks would have to begin with Montero or Banuelos.

Since Liriano is a huge health risk that is why I won't give up any top prospects for him. I'd much rather give up quantity over quality. Perhaps something like Joba, Nova, Adams/Joseph, and Phelps/Noesi/Warren. I'd rather not include Romine but he is certainly not a deal breaker if it came to that.

I doubt the Yanks get Liriano during Spring Training. I think that they are honest in letting the last two rotation spots get determined by competition. Once the season starts however, and if things don't go so well [knock on wood], you can never count the Yanks out of anything.