Devils Training Camp / tryouts

SterioDesign

Some infos are starting to pop about the camp

per TG

Butler (9), Gionta (11), Sestito (12), Henrique (14), Pesonen (15), Jacobson (16), Tedenby (21) called up, on camp roster. Darche ((32) too

Matteau is No. 34. Barch is No. 22

lol @ Butler getting #9

Sykora is not there so i guess he's trying out for another team

Ledger_NJDevils

Call ups from Albany by Devils are Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Jacob Josefson, Krys Barch, Mattias Tedenby

Also Stephen Gionta, Bobby Butler

Edited by SterioDesign

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's weirder that Elias is listed at left wing when he hardly played there last year.

bunch of weird stuff...

6 Left Wingers:

Elias / Tedenby / Darche / Carter / Matteau / Barche

7 Right Wingers:

Kovalchuk / Clarkson / Butler / Zubrus / Bernier / Janssen / Pesonen

4 Centers: (3 since Henrique is not there

Zajac / Henrique / Josefson / Gionta

we thought we were weak on the RW but now seems like were weak on the LW lol im pretty sure some players will be shifted around and that Kovy will be back on his LW...

geez we REALLY need to make moves cause thats not a great offensive roster at all

Edited by SterioDesign

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Lamoriello said Darche is only tryout in camp. Sees him as third/fourth line guy, good on the PK.

Asked him if he would even entertain Alexander Medvedev's request to buy out Kovalchuk's contract, Lamoriello said, "NO."

Kovalchuk will fly to NJ Tuesday and Lamoriello said he will practice for first time with team Wednesday.

Lamoriello said there will be "no repercussions" and "no penalty" for Kovalchuk missing start of camp. Thinks entire team will understand.

Lamoriello said he couldn't give Kovalchuk official permission to play in ASG for insurance reasons, but he had OK to play otherwise.

Lamoriello said Kovalchuk explained why he wanted to stay and play in KHL all-star game and that he understands why.

Lamoriello said he has spoken to Kovalchuk multiple times throughout.

Lamoriello finally just spoke definitively about Kovalchuk situation.

More I think about it, the more I like this Darche idea - he can kill penalties, which the Devils need, and he could be a capable extra forward. Someone who could play 10 minutes in the bottom 6 seems pretty darn necessary here.

he's a real good veteran too, always up for interviews and he's good in the locker room.

More I think about it, the more I like this Darche idea - he can kill penalties, which the Devils need, and he could be a capable extra forward. Someone who could play 10 minutes in the bottom 6 seems pretty darn necessary here.

I'm not sold on Darche but I do agree with you that anything to keep Tim Sestito out of the lineup is a good thing.

Here is my shortened season preview:

Okay, losing Zach Parise sucked but we always lose players in NJ and we ALWAYS reload and find new guys. I see no reason why this should be an exception. We have young talent coming up and a new waves of promising players including Larsson, Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique, among others. In my opinion a shortened season is beneficial to the team. Less work on Marty is a big one and I feel a shortened season is just beneficial to the team as a whole especially with guys like Elias, Salvador, and Volchenkov. Along with ZP leaving we lost Ponikarovsky who was a really effective depth forward. I hope his and ZP's production will be replaced by Butler, a year older Henrique, a year old Josefson/Tedenby, and a more offensive minded defense then past years with guys like Larsson and Zidlicky in the back. Defensively we are plenty deep. A strong group, we have no guy who is an allstar but we have enough guys for 3 reliable parings.

As we enter camp I would like to see Lou trade for a winger. It cant hurt especially since we have such a surplus at the wing. Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi, and Fippula have all been tossed around. Losing a guy like Tallinder in a trade wouldn't be too bad considering we'd still have an intact group of Larsson, Zidlicky, Greene, Fayne, Salvador, and Volch. I hope Lou takes advantage of having extra NHL caliber defensemen because a lot of teams are looking for them (Foster got a 2 year deal!!).

As I see the roster on opening day:

top 6: KOVALCHUK, ELIAS, ZUBRUS, BUTLER, ZAJAC, CLARKSON

bottom 6: JOSEFSON, TEDENBY, one of CBGB (unless we trade for a winger or sign Darche), BERNIER, CARTER, GIONTA

defense: LARSSON, GREENE, ZIDLICKY, FAYNE, TALLINDER, SALVADOR

goalies: Marty, Moose

My conference predictions:

In: Boston, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Devils, Hurricanes, Flyers

Bubble: Jets, Lightning, Capitals, Buffalo, Senators,

Out:Islanders, Maple Leafs, Panthers, Montreal

Edited by Mayday

Getting all tingly now the camp has started. Will definitely be staying up late to watch the match! Wondering if there'll be any trading going on in the next week too, with Parise and Sykora gone. Have we got enough fire power for a short season?

imo we absolutely need to sign someone or trade for more offence... there's no way we can make it with that roster

imo we absolutely need to sign someone or trade for more offence... there's no way we can make it with that roster

I honestly think we are ok. The key is having Zajac for a whole season and when Henrique returns we will be fine.

Without Henrique I see this

Butler Zajac Kovalchuk

Tedenby Elias Zubrus

Darche Josefson Clarkson

Gionta Carter Bernier

Just replace Tedenby with Henrique and thats a solid lineup. Plus a trade will still be an option through the season.

Edited by Zubie#8

None of the UFAs really excite me to be honest. We would probably need to trade to get a 20-30 goal-a season forward but I can't see many teams wanting to trade with a short season. They'd want to keep their fire power.