Brian Gionta the sniper

overtime98

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Sniper+proves+good+players+come+small+packages/2053134/story.html

Dumb comment from Gomez.....

"People think I like playing with Brian because he can score goals, but it's neat to have someone actually look up to you," the 5-foot-11 Gomez said. "I feel like one of the big guys."

Cant wait for tomorrows article about Gomez... :rolleyes:

Btw, 05-06. Just a tease of goal scoring.

Yeah, but a lot of people figured that would be the case - adjustment to rules, PPs galore, etc.

It's fun to go back and re-visit the 30+ goal scorers of that season, though. And by "fun" I mean "jaw-droppingly surprising" for many of them (hello, Mike Sillinger).

What' really shocking is how some of the more impressive goal scorers slumped that season. Nash had 31 goals, Bertuzzi had 25, Hejduk with 24.

Sorry, off-topic... but more interesting to me than Gomez running his mouth.

Okay enough of the bagging on Gionta, huh? The guy was a loyal soldier for us and a good Devil... there's no need to trash the guy. And Gomez is actually funny, to people who have a sense of humor... he's not a Ranger anymore, so the over-the-top hate for him is really old too.

I actually don't hate Gomez anymore. Now that he's been removed from the Rangers - somewhat against his will - my resentment has waned.

Same with me... I always liked Gomez as a person when he was here, as much as he drove me nuts with his sometimes lazy play... when he went to the Rangers, he was of course dead to me. Now, he's on a team that I really don't have any animosity for so I'm laughing at Gomer's jokes again. :P

Okay enough of the bagging on Gionta, huh? The guy was a loyal soldier for us and a good Devil... there's no need to trash the guy. And Gomez is actually funny, to people who have a sense of humor... he's not a Ranger anymore, so the over-the-top hate for him is really old too.

Yeah, I thought Gomez's comment was funny. :noclue:

Not only is he funny, we still haven't replaced him. That's not as funny.

It still amazes me the resentment that fans on this board have for Gomez. Here is a young guy from Alaska who had had his choice; play in Newark for x amount of dollars or play in NYC for 2x amount of dollars and we're upset he chose that. That he failed there doesn't make me like him more or less.

Not everyone's dislike of Gomez stems from the fact that he left for $$$$$ in the Big Apple. True, that does not help things, but my dislike of Gomez started when he was still a Devil. I watched a player take plays off, not give 100% (like a Gio). I felt as though Gomez's priority was Gomez, not the team. I felt as though he was both lazy and selfish.

Everyone has their own opinion of Gomez, which is fine. And, they will differ. But, I do not see how anyone could jump in Gio's sh!t, as he was completely dedicated to the Devils from day 1. I don't think anyone can question his heart or loyalty. And, if you remember, Gio did not have an opportunity to resign with the Devs. He was forced out the door.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

It's time to get over it. Holik came back to NJ and the hatred disappeared. Players need to do what's best for them. Gomez, Gionta, Madden and Rupp did what was best for themselves as did Lou. There is no place for hatred it is all too consuming of oneself.

I agree, having a blind hatred of one specific player is terribly unhealthy.

I love Gio...but a sniper? Really? You've watched him countless times try to score perimeter goals with the Devils and fail. His bread and butter is around the net.

I don't hate Gomez per-se...but the Rangers thing was a dick move.

What I find shocking ... :whistling: is how two people can make offhanded comments that Gomez isn't funny and the whole thread turns into shock and dismay over all the haters posting on the board.

:blink: I wrote that a joke wasn't too funny, Swede agreed - and look atchyas :noclue: what gives people? Lighten up! :boogie:

:yay:

From my point of view it has nothing to do with what you said; look at any Gomez thread over the last two years and people still bash him, usually the same people who are mad for Nieds going to play with his brother.

It's time to get over it. Holik came back to NJ and the hatred disappeared. Players need to do what's best for them. Gomez, Gionta, Madden and Rupp did what was best for themselves as did Lou. There is no place for hatred it is all too consuming of oneself.

O rlly? :whistling: