BEER

TrentonDevils

I've only been to New Hope.

I used to go New Hope every week for about 2 years until I stopped about 10-12 months ago. IDK the vibe used to be more casual and now its mostly townies and hipsters. I only went there for a while because of trivia (which has gotten out of control and is no longer fun) and because the food was better than the Princeton location for years up until about a year ago.

Now the Princeton location has better food (there is a reason for that) and while the vibe there is snobby, I don't have to deal with the obnoxious hipsters and rude townies who think they own the place. Plus the Princeton one is 15-20 minute drive compared to the 35-40 min drive to New Hope for me.

I used to go New Hope every week for about 2 years until I stopped about 10-12 months ago. IDK the vibe used to be more casual and now its mostly townies and hipsters. I only went there for a while because of trivia (which has gotten out of control and is no longer fun) and because the food was better than the Princeton location for years up until about a year ago.

Now the Princeton location has better food (there is a reason for that) and while the vibe there is snobby, I don't have to deal with the obnoxious hipsters and rude townies who think they own the place. Plus the Princeton one is 15-20 minute drive compared to the 35-40 min drive to New Hope for me.

Good to know. I haven't been there in a year and half; I'm in North Jersey, so I don't get down there that often.

The chefs have been bouncing around at Triumph. I know the owner was recently looking hard for a Princeton replacement.

That has been a constant at Princeton and I have a whole story that goes back years about this. The triumph in new hope even sent their chef ovet to Princeton to fix their issues a couple years back. After what I have experienced there since I've been going since 2006, the menu at Princeton is far better since they sent that chef over for a bit.

Btw have you ever seen Adam the owner? Nice guy and looks exactly how you would picture him to look as owner of that place based on menu and decor lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the beers I enjoyed drinking either this weekend or last: Spaten Oktoberfest, Kostritzer, Sierra Nevada Tumbler, Abita Pecan, Founders Breakfast Stout, and Allagash Black.

How is the Abita Pecan? I have heard various things about it but want to get your take.

Anything by Allagash is great but I am partial to the White.

How is the Abita Pecan? I have heard various things about it but want to get your take.

Anything by Allagash is great but I am partial to the White.

I really like it! Unlike some nutty beers that tend to be really strong, the flavor in that one is slight, not the least bit overwhelming.

I just wish more places by me, Bergen County, sold it. The only place I've been able to find it is at Whole Foods. For whatever reason, there are not a lot of liquor stores with good craft beer selections around here, which is strange because this county is very populated.

And the one good liquor store near me that does carry a lot of Abita, Total Wine & More, did not get the Pecan for some unknown reason.

EDIT: I just read some of the reviews for Abita Pecan Harvest Ale on Beer Advocate. It seems some of the major complaints are that it is too light or not flavorful enough. But that is exactly the reason why I do like it.

Edited by 95Crash

Finally tried Founder's Centennial IPA, one of the better IPAs I've had. Still no Stone, but one of the better beers I've had in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anybody's out in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Brewery has a couple of limited edition specials worth picking up, the Companion (which you can buy with the Oxford Companion to Beer if you want) and the Bamboozle. Neither's cheap (about $12 a bomber), but both are real good and won't be around long.

Jeez I am so sick of these over-priced brews now. Whoohoo variety - market is glutted and I hate wasting $$ on dreck looking for what's good. I hate paying for whats good too even. Seriously - at a certain point its just pretentious consuming, not fun beer hunting.

Homebrewing cider is where I want to go!

• 1 month later...

According to FB of Riverhorse, they will be moving out of Lambertville sometime in the near future to a newer and bigger facitility in Ewing.

This sucks as I always liked seeing that brewery whenever I was in the Lambertville area, but this is good as they are only moving about 15-20 min away tops and with the newer facility they will be able to reach a greater group of beer drinkers.

I have to add two new beers I am digging. 21st amendment has Bitter American which is an session Ale (think I mentioned this one before) but now I like their black IPA it is just the right blend if hoppy and malty. Another one is from horny goat called Brownie Stout, it tastes just like friggin brownies.

Ahhh!

I'm glad I found this thread. Big time craft beer lover here. Spent 2006-2011 in the land of craft beer, Colorado. That's where I really discovered my love for good beer. So many great breweries out there: New Belgium, Oskar Blues, Boulder Beer, Avery, Fort Collins Brewery, Lefthand and many many brews that never see bottles.

As far as NJ there aren't many to pick from but I will say my favorite spot has to be Iron Hill in Southern NJ/PA. Absolutely awesome. Very good beer, great food and reasonably priced. Really recommend it if you're ever down that way. They have 6-7 locations and with this new legislation I'm sure they will be expanding soon. I also enjoy the Flying Fish Exit series beer (drinking a 16W right now in preparation for tomorrow's opener). And last year before a Devils game I discovered Carton's 077XX IPA at Edison Ale House which i really liked. IPAs are my favorite type of beer - especially imperial IPAs.

I have to say the Rock's beer selection is very disappointing. A friend of mine works over at Aramark corporate in Philly and says they won the contract for food and bev at the Rock and are taking over so I'm hoping better beers roll through.

I close out this loquacious post saying if you're looking for good bottle/can/growler selection Joe Canal's is my spot. Locations in Lawrenceville, Woodbridge and a few other places as well.

Anyway I look forward to chattin beer and Devils!!

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

I have to say the Rock's beer selection is very disappointing. A friend of mine works over at Aramark corporate in Philly and says they won the contract for food and bev at the Rock and are taking over so I'm hoping better beers roll through.

That would be nice but I doubt it. Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors are always going to secure exclusive rights at bigtime sporting venues.

Yea, sadly the Rock's microbrew heyday is gone unless the state micro's can create a legit venue distributor for themselves.

My old man (Flyers fan that lives in South Jersey) and I were at Tuesday's game and he's a big craft beer fan as well and was excited to see "Beers of Newark" but his excitement quickly turned to sadness when he saw the actual beers at that stand. We ended up talking about all the good beers they could bring in to a "Beers of New Jersey" stand - Flying Fish (esp Exit 16 - is there a more fitting beer for a NJ sports team that once called that exit home?), Carton Brewing, River Horse, Cricket Hill...all better than the current selection. Too bad Budweiser has a stranglehold on Newark.

I cracked open an archived 750ml of Southern Tier Pumking last night. Still one of my favorite beers. Their 2X IPA is also an excellent beer - and value. Double IPAs that come in a 6 pack are a-ok in my book!

I OD'd on Pumking this year - it started tasting too flavored to me.

Uinta out in Utah had some good brews. I wish I had access to more! Cutthroat Pale Ale was nice King's Peak porter was really good too.

We also had Wasatch I loved Polygamy Porter - I think it was the most chocolatey beer I've had - a nice chocolate though not artificial. We had another crappy local porter which I forget the name of the brewery even.

And the distillery - High West I think? They have all their nice stuff out there - they have crappy kitchy crap in the Jersey liquor stores. Their ryes were nice - a nice assortment. I really like whiskey - it's easier to have in moderation. I always feel like I have to finish a beer - though my brother in law came up with a nice saying - Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Edited by Pepperkorn