Devils sign D Severson, D Scarlett

Triumph

We've signed defensemen Reece Scarlett (6th round pick in 2011) & Damon Severson (2nd round pick in 2012) to entry-level contracts.

— New Jersey Devils (@NHLDevils)

September 6, 2012

Damon Severson was a 2nd round pick in 2012, Reece Scarlett a 6th round pick in 2011. Scarlett is a good signing, I was a little concerned that he has the sort of profile that re-enters the draft.

Interesting what agreement the AHL will make with the CHL regarding JR players. Scarlett and Severson may get some good pro experience this season if the lockout reaches silly territory.

I know they don't have an agreement in place yet but I can't see the NHL flouting the CHL. The CHL is a feeder league that exists for free, and while teams would like to have players in the pros sooner I'm sure, I also think they don't want to have to pay transfer fees or the like to junior teams (if they do pay those fees already, they have to be minimal).

It gets easier to sign draft picks quickly when they're afraid they might get sold out in negotiations. They'll take their 3 year ELC and let them slide into oblivion before the big shot players in the PA decide to throw a few years on ELCs and dick them out of money.

Yeah, sure, but I don't get why the team wouldn't hard line them.