We All Knew It

DevsMan84

Exactly!!!! Its at the point in america now that if you make a racial joke youre a terrible biggot. If you make a gay joke youre a homophob. If you make a religious joke youre a disrespectful piece of sh!t. Political correctness makes me what to puke. No one can have their balls broken anymore. THATS whats childish, that people cant take jokes anymore. They take edgy jokes like a 3rd grader takes a yomamma joke.

When queer kids stop committing suicide, it will be fine to tell whatever jokes you want. There's also a huge difference between public and private. I have given my gay friends sh!t plenty of times. We all know it's harmless. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a crack with no context for all the world to see, since most queer people are subject to any number of mean spirited comments that are in no way jokes. It's a lot easier to have a sense of humor when you don't have to worry about being abused for something you have no control over.

......yes when gay, lesbian or straight is brought up I do think about sex because that's a SEXUAL preference meaning that person likes having sex with a man, woman, or opposite sex..... 

Except sex was not brought up. Sexual preference is not sex, unless you think every couple in the world is having sex. When I see a couple, I am not disgusted, because I don't automatically think to myself I wonder what they do to each other in their bedroom. When I see a straight couple PDA I am uncomfortable, just like when I see a queer couple PDA, and I'd be pretty disgusted if most of the couples I have come into contact with began to bone in public.

Many people, however, can't seem to give queer couples privacy. They immediately begin thinking of things that should stay in the fvcking bedroom, yet they give straight couples all the privacy in the world. Not to get ridiculously personal, but as a straight male, I am attracted to straight sex, and not gay sex, but I can look at both straight and gay couples living their lives and not care what they do in their bedrooms, and I'm not going to bring up what I think they might do in their bedrooms in a public forum.

And as for Avery, obsessing over his sexuality detracts from the real reasons we hate him (he was an annoying little gnat who did d!ck things on the ice and didn't have the balls to fight). It also unfairly draws attention to his personal life, especially when we try to connect his on ice behavior with something we may or may not know about his sexuality.

Edited by mouse

Ugh do I HATE this PC nonsense.  

Hating Avery has nothing to do with his apparent homosexuality, nor should it (his sexual preference) require me to suddenly respect him as an individual.

Edit:  I had a whole rant about PC-ness posted, but it's probably not a good idea to post it right now.  Just not worth getting into.

Edited by Devilsfan118

When queer kids stop committing suicide, it will be fine to tell whatever jokes you want. There's also a huge difference between public and private. I have given my gay friends sh!t plenty of times. We all know it's harmless. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a crack with no context for all the world to see, since most queer people are subject to any number of mean spirited comments that are in no way jokes. It's a lot easier to have a sense of humor when you don't have to worry about being abused for something you have no control over.

Okay so humor just isn't your thing then. Fair enough.

I can get ginea, wop and dago jokes said to me or white jokes said to me and piss myself because they're FUNNY. I have no control over that but im not gunna be a sensitive sally. Making edgy jokes doesnt mean you want people to commit suicide or go commit hate crime, they're just funny.

Many people, however, can't seem to give queer couples privacy. They immediately begin thinking of things that should stay in the fvcking bedroom, yet they give straight couples all the privacy in the world. Not to get ridiculously personal, but as a straight male, I am attracted to straight sex, and not gay sex, but I can look at both straight and gay couples living their lives and not care what they do in their bedrooms, and I'm not going to bring up what I think they might do in their bedrooms in a public forum.

The problem is that straight people don't live their lives flaunting their sexual preference. A good portion of that community does......and someone like Avery doesn't do that, but that was because he is ashamed of it..............but that worm is starting to turn.

I really do think nothing is wrong with him being gay. Doesn't affect me in any way.

I was laughing at how most rags fans would vehemently deny him being gay despite the ongoing rumors. Now they have egg on their faces. The other part is that they have for years gone after brodeurs personal life which is really no ones business, now this comes out about Avery which is also no ones business and hopefully they will now shut up about brodeur.

Basically I am just happy as this may finally shut rags fans traps about our players personal lives.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification.  And I agree 100%.

The problem is that straight people don't live their lives flaunting their sexual preference. A good portion of that community does......and someone like Avery doesn't do that, but that was because he is ashamed of it..............but that worm is starting to turn.

Yikes, this sounds way reactionary.  First off, how do you know if Avery was hiding his alleged gayness (it's still not 100% concluded that he truly is) because he was "ashamed"?  Maybe there were other reasons.

Define a "good portion".  It's probably a much smaller amount than you think, in relation to the gay population...it's just that that crowd's flamboyance has a way of drawing attention to itself, at the expense of all of the gay people who really aren't much different than you or me...people who simply wish to live their lives, where their sexuality is merely a part of their existence, and far from being the primary focus. 

Sorry, gay people aren't going to be gay on your terms.  As for those who do insist on flaunting their gayness...why should you care, unless you feel threatened by it somehow?  How is it affecting you exactly? 

Ever hear the saying "get a room"?  You know, when two straight people are overdoing it in a movie theater, in a club, in any number of public settings, so much that it's clearly making people around them uncomfortable?  Isn't that a form of "flaunting" their straightness?   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

The irony of people getting mad for ripping on avery for being gay is amazing. It was said when gay people stop committing suicide then we can make jokes. As if avery was a real role model for respectful behavior. He called marty fat, how terrible!!! When fat people stop committing suicide then that will be funny, how dare he!! He basically called cuthbert a whore, how dare he!!

Its safe to say the whole league knew he was gay. James wisniewski got it right years ago. And it was hysterical because avery got treated how he treated others.

I have an uncle whom I love very much. He has a husband, I very much enjoy having him around as well. I find homosexuality rather odd-- I don't enjoy seeing it, talking about it, or hearig about it. To me, it's like watching animals have sex - it happens, I'm not trying to stop it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't churn my stomach.

I think political correctness is horsesh!t. If they are allowed to parade to celebrate their homosexuality, why aren't I allowed to post on an online forum that I find it yucky?

I'm not saying I'm against it. I'm all for gay rights, and even as a relatively devout Christian I find it horrific when people misquote the bible to damn them all to hell. But why am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

Because, with all due respect, that particular opinion isn't the least bit relevant to the discussion.  It doesn't add anything and can only serve to derail and divide.  Furthermore, as you've already seen, it can be easily misinterpreted as and/or turned into a statement that you have a problem with gay people.  It seems like you're content to live and let live, so why would you put yourself in a position where it looks like you're being a judgmental bastard instead?

It's a matter of appropriateness.  In other words, just because you can say it doesn't mean you should.  It is not appropriate to respond to "rumor: Sean Avery engaged to another man" with "yucky!"  Just because you can turn almost every thread into a Parise or Kovalchuk bash-fest or chant "Rangers suck!" ten times a game doesn't mean you should.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but I don't like it when people hide deeper anti-gay views behind "ewww, icky!"  It is true that straight men are usually squicked out by physical expressions of male homosexuality, even kissing; it's just how we're wired.  (It's the same reason why many of us ARE turned on by lesbians "going at it", but that's a whole 'nother tangent that is similarly not relevant to this discussion, so I shall table it.)  But that need not be an excuse to delve into full-scale homophobia.  (Someone already pointed out that "homophobia" isn't exactly the best word to describe the thoughts and emotions that are usually on display, but I'll stick with it for lack of a better word.)  Countless numbers of people are able to see gays as people and not walking sex objects; as I already said, if sex is the first place you go when this topic comes up, that's a maturity problem.

I spoke to a Rags exec back in 2009 who said Avery "Was a bit of a weirdo...into everything and everybody" Really emphasizing the body part. Said basically 1/2 of the Rags locker room was fine with him, the other half very uncomfortable with him around. Thing is Avery isn't the only gay/bisexual player in the league, but he is the only one who was as confrontational and flamboyant

Lundqvist HATES him btw. We give Lundqvist crap for being kind of a dashing pretty boy. He has no tolerance for Avery

Markus Naslund wouldn't speak to him at all the 1 year he was with the Rangers

Edited by '7'

Okay so humor just isn't your thing then. Fair enough.

I can get ginea, wop and dago jokes said to me or white jokes said to me and piss myself because they're FUNNY. I have no control over that but im not gunna be a sensitive sally. Making edgy jokes doesnt mean you want people to commit suicide or go commit hate crime, they're just funny.

Thank you for your wonderful reading skills. Also, I'm fine with Irish and Polish jokes made at me. I find jokes less funny when they reflect a deeper problem with society, and when the people who are supposed to find them funny are statistically more likely to commit suicide (queer), be convicted of a crime that a white person would escape (black) or get paid less for the same work (woman). It's nice to be a straight white male, and I tend not to be a dick just because I can. Apparently you're not okay with that.

I spoke to a Rags exec back in 2009 who said Avery "Was a bit of a weirdo...into everything and everybody" Really emphasizing the body part. Said basically 1/2 of the Rags locker room was fine with him, the other half very uncomfortable with him around. Thing is Avery isn't the only gay/bisexual player in the league, but he is the only one who was as confrontational and flamboyant

Lundqvist HATES him btw. We give Lundqvist crap for being kind of a dashing pretty boy. He has no tolerance for Avery

Markus Naslund wouldn't speak to him at all the 1 year he was with the Rangers

The thing is (and the Lundquist point really backs this up), is that Avery being confrontational has nothing to do with his sexuality (flamboyant maybe), and his personality has a lot more to do with people being uncomfortable with him IMHO. I hate Avery for reasons that have nothing to do with whom he wants to bone.

Edited by mouse

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.