Clarkson.Zubrus.Elias.

2ELIAS6

I think all 3 are MUSTS for Lou to re-sign this offseason, and for different reasons.

Elias, because he's Elias and still our leading scorer after all these years. And it's Elias. If we can't keep him after all these years (the year after we lose Parise), who can we keep?

Clarkson, because of his role in the locker room and I still think he has 20+ goal seasons in him. He is the ultimate role player, whether we think he's skilled/skates well or not. Inversely, I think he needs our team and DeBoer to succeed, which will be a big reason he may stay.

There was a gaping hole in our system when Zubrus got injured. Very few people will admit that our slump first started when Zubrus got injured; it only continued when Brodeur was injured, but people have a short term memory about the change in our play once we lost Zubrus and his play along the boards. His value isn't that high at all and I think we'll sign him easily. I'm pretty sure he wants to stay, and it won't be too hard for Lou to make that happen.

i agree with all this but to add something... our offence was really not enough this season. We cannot afford to lose any we absolutely need to ADD to what we have, not lose and even what we had this season.

i agree with all this but to add something... our offence was really not enough this season. We cannot afford to lose any we absolutely need to ADD to what we have, not lose and even what we had this season.

Agree completely. I don't know how anyone can talk about letting some of our goal scorers go (at the end of the day, Elias and Clarkson were our two highest goal scorers). We have the money, and we have the space. We sure don't have many replacements on the lineup. We should be talking about who to add to what we've got.

The offense was sh!t because look at the majority of forwards we were depending on to score goals... Gionta, carter,bernier...excellent line but all fourth liners... Dags Sullivan poni.. All three of them can hit the road they aren't worth sh!t.. There was no real good talent zubrus isn't a big goal scorer neither is clarky.. Henrique didnt do a damn thing the second half of the season, kovy went missing for about a month.. Who's left to pick up the slack elias? There's simply just not much talent that why we were putting up 33+ shots on net to the oppositions 11 and still losing/getting shut out. Just because your throwing the puck at the net doesn't mean its going in.. We need to find someone with some skill aka a top six forward.

To me, I'm with those that say that Zubie is too important to let walk.  I'd love for him and obviously Patty to stay and stay for a long time.  IMHO I think Clarky is the odd man out.  No way in hell Lou caters to his contract, and what he think he's worth.  And honestly, I'm fine with that.  

Alot of clarkson haters i dont get it. He has his off moments yea so what every single player does. He brings good to this team in areas that its needed, hes a descent grinder hes not a big goal scorer that was never his role either just because he got hot in the beginning of last year and got some goals under him early did not mean he was now some top six forward.. So for all the people that bitch about him they need to shut up because he brings what he is paid to bring.. Hes basically the only good enforcer the team even has there is no other muscle really.. The guy doesnt take sh!t from anyone and is the first person to get a team mates back. Enless the asking price is out of control there is no reason for clarkson not to come back.. He brings as much good off the ice as he does on

i also said it before... if we let Clarkson go and decide not to overpay a little... well fine we may have saved an extra million? from a fair 4m to an unfair 5m per? but who could we sign at 4m or 5m on the market that could to a better or equal job as clarkson? none.

• Like 1

Alot of clarkson haters i dont get it. He has his off moments yea so what every single player does. He brings good to this team in areas that its needed, hes a descent grinder hes not a big goal scorer that was never his role either just because he got hot in the beginning of last year and got some goals under him early did not mean he was now some top six forward.. So for all the people that bitch about him they need to shut up because he brings what he is paid to bring.. Hes basically the only good enforcer the team even has there is no other muscle really.. The guy doesnt take sh!t from anyone and is the first person to get a team mates back. Enless the asking price is out of control there is no reason for clarkson not to come back.. He brings as much good off the ice as he does on

You are not alone.  There is a reason many teams will be after him regardless of salary cap decreases.  He is young, and a unique talent that can score and play physical.  This team will continue to slide down the competitive ladder without him.  

I am hoping that with the salary cap decrease that his offers will not be too bad, $3.5 million or so.   But any team looking to be more competitive will grab him.     

i also said it before... if we let Clarkson go and decide not to overpay a little... well fine we may have saved an extra million? from a fair 4m to an unfair 5m per? but who could we sign at 4m or 5m on the market that could to a better or equal job as clarkson? none.

Agree.

maybe you can't find someone who does exactly what he does for that price, but you can surely find someone to put up 45 points for $4-5 million a year which he'll be lucky to keep doing 

maybe you can't find someone who does exactly what he does for that price, but you can surely find someone to put up 45 points for $4-5 million a year which he'll be lucky to keep doing 

true but i see Clarkson as a safe bet in this timing. We simply CANNOT afford to take chances and not have guys who can't put up points next season. We have to give away our pick next year so we HAVE to make the playoffs. If he's that overpaid and whatever, LOTS of teams want a guy like that you can always try to trade him later but that way at least you can get something for it instead of watching him walk and get absolutely nothing for him.

Look at Lucic for example... he had a very bad season and he's overpaid and has the same job as clarkson. Even with a bad season if he'd be on the market you can be sure teams would lineup with offers.

I hope the Devils can figure out a way to keep Clarkson.  He's not only good for the team but good for the community.  He's the kind of guy I want carrying the Devils banner as well as the New Jersey banner.  I know when it comes to an NHL contract those types of off-ice contributions and philanthropic activities really don't matter but to myself as a New Jerseyan and a Devils fan I take pride in having someone like Clarkson on our team.  Guy puts up solid numbers, max effort every game, always takes time to speak to the media or fans, stands up for his teammates, helps his adopted community of Newark...and on and on.  We all know what he does.

He is a very likeable player from a fan point of view and I hope Lou does everything in his power to pay him and bring him back.

Please excuse my regurgitating everything thats been said about Clarkson in this thread but I had to drop my bias opinion in here.  :whistling:

I don't think it's an issue of being Clarkson haters. I think people are just actively mentally preparing themselves for the possibility that he may leave. He has the most leverage on Lou of the 3 UFAs this offseason.

I hope the Devils can figure out a way to keep Clarkson.  He's not only good for the team but good for the community.  He's the kind of guy I want carrying the Devils banner as well as the New Jersey banner.  I know when it comes to an NHL contract those types of off-ice contributions and philanthropic activities really don't matter but to myself as a New Jerseyan and a Devils fan I take pride in having someone like Clarkson on our team.  Guy puts up solid numbers, max effort every game, always takes time to speak to the media or fans, stands up for his teammates, helps his adopted community of Newark...and on and on.  We all know what he does.

He is a very likeable player from a fan point of view and I hope Lou does everything in his power to pay him and bring him back.

Please excuse my regurgitating everything thats been said about Clarkson in this thread but I had to drop my bias opinion in here.  :whistling:

To reiterate what you've said, and shorten it a bit, Clarkson's a fan favorite and has been for 3-4+ years, even before scoring 30+ goals. One year removed from losing Zach Parise, I don't think we can afford to let someone like him leave. Like him or not, he's a big chunk of the heart and soul of our team, whether his numbers end up being in the top 20 of the NHL or not.

I don't really think points are the relevant measure with Clarkson.  Goals are what's important there.  

The critical thing about David Clarkson is that he shoots the puck.  Now years ago, this wasn't really something lacking from the Devils' team - in 09, the Devils had a ton of players who I would classify as shoot first players:  Parise, Langenbrunner, Rolston, Gionta, Madden, Holik, etc.  Even Elias shot the puck a bunch.  That was a shooting team.  This team has almost no one who I would classify as shoot first - Ryan Carter maybe?  Stephen Gionta when he manages to get the puck in the offensive zone?   It's Clarkson and really no one else.

Here's NJ's forwards in rank in individual shots on goal at 5 on 5 per 60 minutes on ice (minimum 300 minutes) - 339 forwards qualified, including 12 from NJ:

Clarkson:  3rd

Bernier:  89th

Elias:  101st

Carter:  197th

Kovalchuk:  205th

Loktionov:  221st

Ponikarovsky:  247th

Henrique:  252nd

Sullivan:  254th

D'Agostini:  262nd

Zajac:  284th

Gionta:  297th

This team doesn't have shooters.  If Clarkson goes, they need 2 shooters.

Edited by Triumph

So long of a wait still.. This no post season sh!t really sucks, all i wana do is go to a dev game.. It's going to be a long off season

yes and it's exactly why Lou has absolutely NO EXCUSES to fvck around and not approach his players now or wait last minute.

yes and it's exactly why Lou has absolutely NO EXCUSES to fvck around and not approach his players now or wait last minute.

He's not fvcking around. He's never fvcked around, he won't fvck around. We just don't hear about it because Lou runs a tight ship and doesn't let stupid sh!t leak to the media.

He's not fvcking around. He's never fvcked around, he won't fvck around. We just don't hear about it because Lou runs a tight ship and doesn't let stupid sh!t leak to the media.

Clearly Lou is napping. Like he did right before Zajac signed.

All 3 will be Devils if they want to be Devils. They won't overpay for Clarkson, but the other 2 will most likely stay unless they get nutty offers. Zubrus will probably be around until they feel Matteau is ready to jump into his 'big guy on the boards' spot.

Clearly Lou is napping. Like he did right before Zajac signed.

All 3 will be Devils if they want to be Devils. They won't overpay for Clarkson, but the other 2 will most likely stay unless they get nutty offers. Zubrus will probably be around until they feel Matteau is ready to jump into his 'big guy on the boards' spot.

I see absolutely no reason to not make an offer to Zubrus for similar money to what he's making now over 2 more years.

So you're saying players like elias and Zach and all their agents and Lou himself are pure liars who lied to the medias all along. nice. Weird cause what they say is exactly whats happening. There's no secret there.