Rafalski returns.....

Neb00rs

And after they left people killed Rafalski because he wasn't a true #1 defenseman, though that was probably true he was definitely much better than the guys masquerading as #1's the next few years for us after he left.  Even Lou underappreciated him to a degree.

I never noticed that.

Everblades NHL affiliates are Tampa and Carolina, so there are some connections to Rafalski, particularly Yzerman. I can see both of those teams taking a chance on Rafalski. Once he gets in game shape, playing D for a guy like that is just like riding a bike. He would be a perfect mentor for Larsson.

Rafalski was my favorite Devil for a while.  Always liked him a lot.

I do remember a lot of Devil fans complaining about him just before he left...that he shot too many pucks into opposing players' skates, that he didn't have a hard enough shot, etc. 

With respect, I do remember YOU complaining about that.

With respect, I do remember YOU complaining about that.

His last season, I probably did...I do remember that making me insane at times.  I remember not being that upset when he left...especially for what Detroit signed him for. 

His last season, I probably did...I do remember that making me insane at times.  I remember not being that upset when he left...especially for what Detroit signed him for. 

Hey, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have given him that Red Wings contract. Not a chance.

Devils fans respect Rafalski very much.  He left for Detroit and I don't know of any Devils fan angry at him like we were when Parise left.

Rafalski left to play for the team he rooted for and loved above all else when he was a kid. Parise left to play for a team that didn't even exist when he was a kid.

Hey, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have given him that Red Wings contract. Not a chance.

Except it wouldn't have required the Red Wing contract to retain him...we made a perfunctory who cares offer and that was it, I think even a small raise from his current contract that was well short of what he got in Detroit would have been enough to keep him before FA.  As it was, he STILL might have come back in the end if Detroit didn't lose Mathieu Schnieder on the first day of FA and then throw a ton of money at Raf as a replacement.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Except it wouldn't have required the Red Wing contract to retain him...we made a perfunctory who cares offer and that was it, I think even a small raise from his current contract that was well short of what he got in Detroit would have been enough to keep him before FA.  As it was, he STILL might have come back in the end if Detroit didn't lose Mathieu Schnieder on the first day of FA and then throw a ton of money at Raf as a replacement.

I completely agree. While it's hard to know what actually happened behind the scenes, Rafalski certainly was looking to stay in NJ and most likely would have taken a discount.