This has to be the most frustrating season I've seen as a fan

roomtemp

Maybe 96 but I was a little young and didn't really follow the team day to day at that point, and anything before 94 again too young. 09-10 at least had the team look like they got it together at the end after the awful start.

This season we lost our best offensive player to start, went on an awful winless streak to start, can't play for the one goalie, Brodeur wanting a trade, no pick until we got it back, offense has been inconsistent at times, shootout troubles but the worst part is they are still in the playoff race but they play like they don't want to take it.

Am I wrong in this

Yep, this one has sucked. More than the first half of the J-Mac train wreck.

It's easy to check out on bad teams. No hopes, no expectations. This team has teased us all year with this wishy washy will they won't they bullsh!t. They're going to end up not putting it together in time and we'll have wasted hours arguing about nothing.

Oh, and Larsson's season is particularly disappointing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but the 1st half of the J-Mac train wreck was way way way worse than this.  That wasn't a bad team and everyone knew it, they were just playing bad for reasons beyond anyone's imagination.  This is disappointing but it's not like the team has really looked like a team going somewhere in the playoffs in the last 20 games - not like, say, last year - it just has floated around.  The issue with this year's team is A: no 1st round pick until 30th and B: lot of floatsam on the roster (Zubrus, Ryder, Brodeur, etc.) that we don't know if it's coming off next year.

Which believe it or not is all it takes to make the playoffs.

WHAT DOES THIS ADD TO THE CONVERSATION?! Omg. Please. For the love of God. STOP.

gtfo.gif

The thing about this season is that this team didn't live up to its potential because it wasn't managed properly.  The pieces are there for a good team.  But I don't think Deboer utilized them properly.  That's what really makes this team frustrating.

room temp, compared to '82-'87, the transition seasons of '87-'88 to '92-'93 were never really frustrating.  '88-'89 was to an extent, in that after the from-out-of-nowhere run the team took a big step back, but in general, Devils fans were just happy to have a team that was competitive.  The real disappointment of that era was Sean Burke...after his '88 hot streak, he never approached that level of play as a Devil ever again.  The Devils kept giving him chances to regain that form (at Chris Terreri's expense...to his credit, even though Terreri was outplaying Burke, Terreri never bitched about it).  Burke was so highly thought of early on that Calgary was supposedly offering Doug Gilmour straight-up for him at one point.  Even after a full year of not playing due to a contract dispute (Devils held his rights but wouldn't re-sign him), Burke (with Eric Weinrich) was still worth enough to fetch Bobby Holik and a 2nd-rounder (who became Jay Pandolfo IIRC).

Tri, I actually find this season slightly more frustrating than '10-'11.  I think that season's lousy first half was so incredibly brutal that it almost numbed me emotionally...my expectations fell so much that the second half became oddly fun.  This season, the team's been just good enough to somehow stay (barely) relevant, but also just bad enough not to make serious headway.  That 5-2-0 burst to start their post-Olympic break schedule gave us all reason to hope. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I really feel like the 2nd half of that season has everyone forgetting how bad the 1st half was.  Kovalchuk had 4 goals in the first 2 months of the season.  Parise was out for the year.  Langenbrunner was still here being Langenbrunner.  For some reason Olivier Magnan Grenier played like 20 games.  (When people complain about Larsson being in the minors, one should remind them of a time when both Magnan and Corrente played for NJ).  Brodeur looked like garbage and there was a vocal group failing to acknowledge it (okay, that does remind me of this season).

Edited by Triumph

I remember it all too well.  Lots and lots of lowlights.  Kovy flubbing a shootout attempt and getting heartily booed.  That first half was every bit the disaster the 10-29-2 record suggested it was.  I haven't forgotten that at all.

For me, this is the most disappointing season simply because this team is absolutely no fun to watch. Coaching without emotion or intelligence, mediocre goal tending, anemic scoring (and when we do it's nothing special to look at), defense without a bite and no superstars on the roster. 

What is there to look forward to in a game? At one point it was fun to watch Jagr, but alas, he has worn out as anticipated.

I don't remember a NJ team that had nothing fun to watch and even when they win it's like, whatever. You know that win really didn't signify that they got anything useful going for the future.

Oh, and do we even have any young players that are going to be stars? maybe...

For me, this is the most disappointing season simply because this team is absolutely no fun to watch. Coaching without emotion or intelligence, mediocre goal tending, anemic scoring (and when we do it's nothing special to look at), defense without a bite and no superstars on the roster. 

What is there to look forward to in a game? At one point it was fun to watch Jagr, but alas, he has worn out as anticipated.

I don't remember a NJ team that had nothing fun to watch and even when they win it's like, whatever. You know that win really didn't signify that they got anything useful going for the future.

The '95-'96 and the '07-'08 teams were tough watches.  I still don't know how Sutter squeezed 99 points of the '08 team. 

The MacLean season is the most disappointing. I wouldn't call it frustrating, there was a point where we could no longer get our hopes up. The rest of the season was just a shot in the dark anyways and actually quite enjoyable.

Jagr has worn out?

He's got 25 shots in his last 5 games, Corsi of 63.7% last 10 games, he's the only thing keeping this team afloat.

What does a high Corsi and 25 shots mean if you're not scoring and not winning? Jagr has 1 point in his last 5 games. He can take all the shots he wants, that does not win us games. Nor has it. You can't argue he is keeping us afloat when we are not producing. He may be worn out or he may just be temporarily cooling down, either ways the decrease in production has been felt.

What does a high Corsi and 25 shots mean if you're not scoring and not winning? Jagr has 1 point in his last 5 games. He can take all the shots he wants, that does not win us games. Nor has it. You can't argue he is keeping us afloat when we are not producing. He may be worn out or he may just be temporarily cooling down, either ways the decrease in production has been felt.

The assertion was that he is worn out.  If he was worn out, we should see that appear on other ways than on the goals and assists sheet, because goals and assists are random events buried within shots on goal and passes and so forth.  Since it doesn't look like Jagr's game is out of sorts at all other than that the puck isn't going in the net, I don't see any rationale for calling him worn out.

Yes, OP, I certainly agree with your assertion.  It just seems like we've been forever stuck in pergatory.  Every time NJ has had a chance to get in a playoff spot or solidify positioning, they've blown it (7-4 Detroit game anyone?).  The 0-10 shootout record is of course maddening.  Coaching staff rolling with Brodeur half the time, the team not being able score for Schneider, Brodeur's quotes, personnel choices, etc.  With what looks like a forfeited top ten pick, this season can't end soon enough. I just hope Lou and Conte pull a rabbit out of their asses with a Josh Ho-Sang type at the draft.

I think this team could be similar next year and make it due to them playing Schneider 75% of the games and some more shootout luck.  A top 5 pick is certainly not out of the realm of possibility and it honestly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world with the possibility to draft McDavid, Eichel, Barzal or Hanafin.  NJ is such a crapshoot lol

I really feel like the 2nd half of that season has everyone forgetting how bad the 1st half was.  Kovalchuk had 4 goals in the first 2 months of the season.  Parise was out for the year.  Langenbrunner was still here being Langenbrunner.  For some reason Olivier Magnan Grenier played like 20 games.  (When people complain about Larsson being in the minors, one should remind them of a time when both Magnan and Corrente played for NJ).  Brodeur looked like garbage and there was a vocal group failing to acknowledge it (okay, that does remind me of this season).

There's no comparison between this and that.   They were mindbogglingly bad.   This team tries, they just suck.   I remember trying to convince myself they had a chance at the end of November where they won that shootout game against the Flyers where the mighty Adam Mair scored.   Then December came.

I can't buy any of this MSweet for a few reasons:

There have been so many boring Devils teams to watch. CR1976 named a few of them. There just haven't been many times in the team's history since Lou came where they've missed the playoffs. So you add that with them not having a real dynamic player, and sure it sucks.

Jagr has not worn out. There have been a lot of games he has scored a sh!t goal, and we marvel, but he's had a plethora of chances over the last few games.

As for emotionless coaching...I hate that. Deboer gets angry, but as I have said a few times here, what good comes from a freak out  in front of the media where you are calling out players by name. That's a real good way of getting a team to quit on you. He might be giving it to them in the locker room, but he is smart enough to turn it off in front of the media. There's been very few no show games by the team this year. Maybe that's when you go crazy, but he's smart enough to know that results doesn't mean a lack of effort. You can't scream about lack of finish.

To me, there's a difference between frustrating and disappointing.

In '96, coming off the Cup win, I was very disappointed that the Devs didn't make the playoffs.

This season, even though I suspected the team wasn't going to be very good from the start, they did manage to stay close enough all season to tease fans into thinking the playoffs were (still are) a possibility.

With MacLean's team, I started out frustrated, became disappointed ... and ended up numb.

At least in the early '90's there was the feeling that something serious was building. The feeling in the late '80's was similar, but plateaued for a bit, too those early '90's.

Now?  With the exception of those young D, there is nothing exciting to look forward to.