Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I know that, I wasn't suggesting Torres would start for him (though I could see how it could've been interpreted that way).  I was saying that the Mets might as well keep Torres in the rotation, regardless of anyone else's status. 

Kind of fun when a lineup that clearly is going to have trouble scoring runs has a big day...10 runs so far for the Mets. 

Of course they score 10 runs on Matt Harvey Day..... when Matt Harvey isn't pitching. :doh1:

Edited by nmigliore

Of course they score 10 runs on Matt Harvey Day..... when Matt Harvey isn't pitching. :doh1:

That would be funny if the situation wasn't so sad.  Thank God Wheeler, Montero and Syndergaard are still healthy. 

Nice job by Terry not leaving Gee in 1 batter too long. He pitched a tremendous game but was very close to implosion

Bryce Harper is a top talent with a 10 cent head. Rice was 3-0 on him...2nd and 3rd 2out. And he swings at ball 4, and then ball 5 the next pitch instead of taking his walk and loading the bases.

Nice win against a hot Nats team. Ike had a 2-run homer. d'Arnaud isn't hitting much but he's such a beautiful pitch framer. Without actually looking up the data I guarantee you he's stealing strikes on borderline and pitches just outside the zone.

Nice job by Terry not leaving Gee in 1 batter too long. He pitched a tremendous game but was very close to implosion

Bryce Harper is a top talent with a 10 cent head. Rice was 3-0 on him...2nd and 3rd 2out. And he swings at ball 4, and then ball 5 the next pitch instead of taking his walk and loading the bases.

Gee is now 8-3 since May 30, and has given up 2 ER or less in 13 out of his last 17 starts. 

117.1 IP, 106 H, 32 ER, 14 HR, 25 BB, 82 K, 2.45 ERA 

The ERA is probably a bit better than it should be...Gee gives up a fair amount of hits AND home runs.  And his Ks are down as of late...in his last 69.1 IP (10 starts), he's only struck out 35 batters (3 or less in 7 of those starts, 4 in two others).  Of course, the best thing about Gee is that he keeps the walks down.  And he's providing innings...he's averaging 6.9 IP per start in these 17 starts.  He's got a pretty good shot at 200+ innings...sadly, as we've seen, reaching that number seems to have become a major achievement. 

He's done a terrific job in his last 17 starts, he really has, but the numbers do point to some regression coming. 

Re:  d'Arnaud...agreed nmig, noticed the same thing, the guy is a terrific framer.  In his last 5 starts, he's 4-for-17, for whatever that's worth...after yesterday, his avg is at its highest since his call-up (.156).  Maybe he's starting to settle in a little bit.

Re:  Ike, I would love to see the Mets trade him, but I don't know if they can.  Anyone interested to going to try to buy low.  With Ike, since he's come back, it seems like there's such clear pros and cons.  Right now, the positives are clearly his terrific BB-to-K ratio (38-to-35) and his OB% (.436) since being recalled.  But like I've said, it's not necessarily Ike's job to reach first base as much as possible.  And just like last season, when Ike's batting average settled in the .220s, this year it's settling in the .200s (he was hitting .203 on August 10, and is at .206 now, twenty days later). 

So I think the Mets are kind of stuck here into sticking with Ike, and hoping he doesn't completely suck again to start the 2014 season.  Funny thing is, even if he's hitting in the .230s but continuing to draw walks and hitting more dingers, but not doing much with RISP through June, compared to the last two starts he got off to, we'll all happily take it...not like he's set the bar terribly high.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wheeler's last five starts:  32.1 IP, 29 H, 9 ER, 1 HR, 6 BB, 31 K, 2.51 ERA.  His overall FIP and xFIP, which were awful for a while, are now almost average...not a surprise, as he has not been giving up HRs or walks of late (doing that basically kills one's FIP and xFIP).  So glad luck was on his side earlier...these better numbers over his last five may not have happened.

Mets are in a damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't situation with Ike Davis, now more than ever.  I feel for Sandy on this one.

I just hope Doofus doesn't hit some dingers against a bunch of September call-ups and somehow make himself relevant again.

Poor Satin...the guy has no wheels at all...has to be one of the slowest runners I've ever seen.

Yeah, Mediocre Murph is at it again.  10-for-his-last-16...just like that, he finishes what was really a pretty lousy August with a respectable .282 BA.  It'll be interesting to see what Sandy does if Murph has a hot September...his value probably wouldn't be any higher than it would be then. 

Did the Mets get screwed tomorrow or what? Not that they win in Atlanta anyway...but 8pm game in Washington tonight, 1pm start tomorrow in Atlanta.

How is that even allowed? Shouldn't better judgment prevail over at the MLB offices and this game be moved to at least...3:15 or so?

Why do they need to play at 1?

Quintanilla is pure garbage at this point. Just no baseball IQ or instincts. That idiotic throw to first when he had so much time needs to seal his demise. And he didn't even have to throw the damn ball if his momentum was off. The nationals were getting soft bullcrap hits all night

Also Terry starts the inning with Rice vs a righty? Huh? Why?

moron

Edited by '7'

Was a weird game for sure...don't think I've ever heard "broken-bat base hit" uttered as often as I did yesterday. 

re:  Quintanilla...guy was never supposed to be here this long...he's not an everyday player on a decent team, and we've seen why.  Tejada has been red-hot at AAA as of late (now up to .289 with a .340 OB%)...gotta think he gets called up, though I don't think he's the future at short anymore.

Vic Black has been called up...great, want to see what he's got.  The Mets signed Aaron Harang for Vegas...he can't be much worse than most of the chum currently filling out that rotation...hell, I might even give him a shot at Dice K's job at the major-league level.  I think I'd rather see Andrew Dice Clay on the mound than Dice K at this point...he is truly unwatchable.

Terrific start for Montero on August 30:  6.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K.  Overall he's been awesome in his last 7 starts (no more than 2 ER allowed in any of them):  44.1 IP, 33 H, 8 ER, 2 HR, 9 BB, 44 K, 1.62 ERA.  Can't see how this guy isn't a candidate for a spot next season, unless he's traded.   

Dice-K is such an enormous pile of sh!t at this point that he is literally like having a position player pitch. He's non competitive and doesn't belong in baseball. He cannot execute a single pitch. Everything he throws is hanging over the middle of the plate or 2 feet outside and low.

Could Harang be any worse? At least Harang was decent last year. Matsuzaka has stunk for 5 consecutive years.

He needs to be cut tonight

Edited by '7'

Everybody except Sandy knew this guy had NOTHING.  Like I've said, get what Sandy was trying to do, I know he didn't sign this guy with the hope he was going to surprise, but for the love of God, find someone who can at least pitch into the sixth inning while he's giving up 5+ runs.  Agree '7', just put this guy out of his, and our, collective misery.   

The Mets signed Aaron Harang earlier, don't be surprised if they flip he and Dice-K at this point.

Yeah, we talked about Harang's signing on the prior page in this thread.  Yeah, Harang can't be much worse...God I hope we never see Dice K ever again.  There's not a single positive I can come up with for that zilch.  Takes forever in both number of pitches and actual time to get through three or four God-awful innings. 

If Harang can eat up 6 innings per start to the tune of 4 or so runs allowed, I'll take it.  At least he won't be killing the bullpen.

Looks like we're stuck with more Dice K for a while:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/77049/tc-pledges-another-dice-k-start

Why the Mets don't just try a Harang/Dice swap, I have no idea. 

And apparently Passive is going to leave it up to Matt Harvey as to whether or not he has the surgery:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/23462458/report-mets-matt-harvey-to-decide-on-tommy-john-in-1-to-2-weeks

When did Sandy turn into such a meek little zilch?  Christ Sandy, for once, TAKE fvckING CHARGE! 

A little write-up about Friday night's pitching matchup (Wheeler vs. Scott Kazmir):

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/77071/morning-briefing-zack-kazmir-line-up

Of course, the Mets took a lot of heat for this trade, and rightly so...more for who they got back than anything else...Zambrano had walked 96 batters in 128 innings that season before the deal, and Rick Peterson made the embarrassing declaration "I could fix him in 10 minutes". 

But the funny thing was, they actually turned out to be right about Kazmir.  Yes, the Mets knew that he was good and clearly had ability, but the Mets also felt at the time that he would never hold up long-term.  Kazmir never was able to provide innings (he topped 200 only once), and though he never enjoyed much run support with Tampa Bay (part of the reason for his career .500ish W-L record), by the time he was just 25 years old, with only 723 major-league innings under his belt, he was already starting to decline.  He's enjoyed a bit of a second life this season with the Indians, but he basically wound up becoming a poor man's Al Leiter...some dominating performances and some nice strikeout totals (1112 in 1152 IP for his career), but too many pitches thrown, not enough innings, and a lot of laboring.  He was good-to-very good in 2005-08, and the Mets definitely could've used him, lack of innings and all, but yet another guy who was very highly touted and didn't really live up to the hype. 

I bet most fans, if they were to guess, would think Kazmir is in his mid-30s, but he's only 29, and won't turn 30 until 2014.  In 2007, when Kazmir was just 23, the Rays probably thought they had a top-of-the-rotation guy for years to come:  34 starts, 206.2 IP, 196 H, 80 ER, 89 BB, 239 K, 13-9, 3.49 ERA.  They probably thought it was just the beginning for him...but as we've seen time and time again with pitchers, it can change so damned fast, and maddeningly so. 

Great, Doofus is 3-for-3 today.  8-for-19 since coming back.  You can just SENSE that Sandy will have learned nothing, and next season this guy will still be here and get yet another chance to prove himself, if he has a big September. 

Like Evan Roberts said...I don't care if this guy hits .350 this month and hits some dingers to boot.  Get him out of here...this had better not be seen as some golden opportunity for him to work his way back into the Mets' future.  He had his chance and he blew it.  If this year was supposed to be about getting answers on certain guys, the Mets got theirs on Doofus earlier.

Gee has thrown 83 pitches through the first 6 innings (pretty impressive considering he threw 24 in the first inning alone), and has thrown just 17 balls.  Will he ever be able to put together a full season...something along the lines of a 3.00ish ERA, with 15-18 wins?  (Yes, I'm keeping it simple and not going the sabes route...as we've seen many times, if you get screwed repeatedly like Harvey did, there's not much you can do about your win total, so I know that's not the best way to measure a starting pitcher.)        

Gee in line to be 9-3 since since May 30 (18 starts):

124.1 IP, 110 H, 33 ER, 14 HR, 26 BB, 87 K, 2.39 ERA, 1.09 WHIP 

He and Wheeler are probably going into next season as the Mets' 1 and 2 starters (not in any order). 

Syndergaard starts tonight (first start since he got bombed on August 26)...in Trenton.  Really wish I could see that game...I'd love to see him start.  He's on a five-inning cap.   

Binghamton/Trenton is on MiLB.tv, so I'll be checking it out as long as the camera angle isn't trash.

Las Vegas (@ Salt Lake) and Savannah (@Augusta) also open up their playoff series tonight. Go 51's, B-Mets, and Gnats!

Edited by nmigliore

Syndergaard went 6 IP, allowed 7 hits and 3 ER, walked one, struck out 8.  Frank Francisco (yes, THAT Frank Francisco) came in to relieve him.  B-Mets lost in extra innings...with the score tied 3-3, the B-Mets scored two runs in the top half of the 10th inning, but the Thunder came back with three runs of their own.

51s lost too, in the bottom of the 9th...Carson was the loser (big surprise there).  And Nieuwenheis went 0-for-5 with 3 K.