256 replies to this topic

#161 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Sorry. I had to do it. In fact, I can't believe nobody picked up on this yet.

We have a winner, I posted that on purpose to see if anyone would post the video lol

believe-zubrus.jpg

#162 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

i dont understand some people... apparently in Devils world... were not a worse team without zach and Philly is not a better team with Weber... nice glasses folks

www.SterioDesign.com

#163 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

i dont understand some people... apparently in Devils world... were not a worse team without zach and Philly is not a better team with Weber... nice glasses folks

B )

I agree though, we NEED to acquire someone on offense.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#164 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Quotes from Weber's agent and the complete breakdown of the contract with the stupid bonus terms:

http://www.tennessea...|text|FRONTPAGE

#165 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Quotes from Weber's agent and the complete breakdown of the contract with the stupid bonus terms:

http://www.tennessea...|text|FRONTPAGE

:puke:

I do not undertand how these signing bonuses do not go against the 'spirit of the cba'.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#166 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

$1 million contract and $13 million bonus each of the first four years.

• $4 million contract and $8 million bonus in fifth and sixth years.

• $6 million contract annually in seventh through 10th years.

• $3 million contract annually in 11th year.

• $1 million contract annually in 12th-14th years.

That is horrid -- so it's not circumvention because of the bonuses - but its laughable
My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#167 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

There doesn't need to be any conspiracy. The NHL is, after, an organization whose prime goal is to make money.
The Flyers, Rangers and Red Wings of the world will always get a bit more of advantage over the Devils and Predators of the world.
It's less conspiratorial than it is institutionalized.

I never said conspiracy, I said Bettman has favorites. If Phithy gets Weber and it violates the spirit of the CBA in some way and there is no penalty. It makes sense that Devils fans feel slighted. Make no mistake, Weber is really good. If the Flyers had not made a mistake in goal, we would have bigger problems.

I'm lumping any considerations other than fair play under the "conspiratorial" label. Maybe that's not textbook definition, but the point is the same. If any decisions were to be made on the basis of "we just give certain teams more breaks while giving other teams a hard time" or "we're concerned that certain fan bases may express their outrage in dangerous ways" or "it's just better for business to punish this one and let that one go", it would be an affront to the very idea of sport. That's what I was referring to. And the only time that I've thought that any of that might be happening was with the Kovy penalty. It just seems out of step with the league's other actions.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#168 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

:puke:

I do not undertand how these signing bonuses do not go against the 'spirit of the cba'.

Because the Flyers are paying essentially $1 of real money for every $1 of cap money.

The Devils were guilty of circumvention because Kovy's original contract was essentially $1 of real money for every $0.8ish dollars of cap money. Kovy would have likely played maybe 13 years of his contract meaning his cap hit should have been 7.6m per year, when on paper it would have been 6m per year.

The signing bonuses still count against the cap, it still counts in the adjusted average, from that perspective the first year is essentially 14m dollars. The only difference is Shea get's the money at the start of the season and not spread out during the course of it like most players.

#169 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,432 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Because the Flyers are paying essentially $1 of real money for every $1 of cap money.

The Devils were guilty of circumvention because Kovy's original contract was essentially $1 of real money for every $0.8ish dollars of cap money. Kovy would have likely played maybe 13 years of his contract meaning his cap hit should have been 7.6m per year, when on paper it would have been 6m per year.

That argument doesn't fly when Weber's getting paid $107 million over 11 years, then $3 million total over the last three years. I can hardly picture him playing those last three years all at $1 million per. Over the next ten years it's $104 million total, a $10.4 average. And the cap hit's $7.8 because of the last four years.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#170 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

$1 million contract and $13 million bonus each of the first four years.

• $4 million contract and $8 million bonus in fifth and sixth years.

• $6 million contract annually in seventh through 10th years.

• $3 million contract annually in 11th year.

• $1 million contract annually in 12th-14th years.

That is horrid -- so it's not circumvention because of the bonuses - but its laughable

14-14-14-14-12-12-6-6-6-6-3-1-1-1 (Weber)
vs
12-12-11- 9- 9- 9-9-9-8-6-2-1-1 (Suter + Parise)

I don't think it's that crazy. Shea is better defense man then Ryan, probably more valuable then Zach too.

#171 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Rangers were also on Shea Weber's short list; d-man RFA visited NY recently, ESPN NY has learned. Story to come

#NYR Weber liked NYR org -- ownership, hockey ops, coaching -- but prospect of living in Manhattan was main deterrent

www.SterioDesign.com

#172 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

That argument doesn't fly when Weber's getting paid $107 million over 11 years, then $3 million total over the last three years. I can hardly picture him playing those last three years all at $1 million per. Over the next ten years it's $104 million total, a $10.4 average. And the cap hit's $7.8 because of the last four years.

Shea Weber will probably be playing hockey when he is 38,39 and maybe 40. Kovalchuk is pretty unlikely to be playing at 42,43,44,45.

The problem is not getting paid less in your final years, that's been well established as kosher by the league, the problem is adding low paying years when it's not reasonable to expect the player to still be playing.

#173 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

As I predicted yesterday the contract would be more than 100 mill. But am I the only one here who thought it was still going to be a bigger contract than it is? I don't think it's so bad at all for him.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#174 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Unfortunately, the NHL and the aribitors found it completely unrealistic that a player would play until age 44. There have been plenty of players who have played until 40, which was their argument.

But I agree, the realistic expectation is that Suter, Parise and Weber won't play after age 37 or 38 for what would amount to chump change compared to the 98% of their contract dollars that have been already paid.

Edited by Z-Man, 19 July 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#175 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Unfortunately, the NHL and the aribitors found it completely unrealistic that a player would play until age 44. There have been plenty of players who have played until 40, which was their argument.

But I agree, the realistic expectation is that Suter & Parise won't play after age 37 or 38 for what would amount to chump change after getting paid 98% of their contract dollars already.

It is funny that the 4 guys over the age of 40 that signed this off-season all have an annual cap hit of $4.5 million.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#176 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

#NYR Weber liked NYR org -- ownership, hockey ops, coaching -- but prospect of living in Manhattan was main deterrent

lol WTF... Shea lives in oppositeville..

#177 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

As I predicted yesterday the contract would be more than 100 mill. But am I the only one here who thought it was still going to be a bigger contract than it is? I don't think it's so bad at all for him.

Shea's contract is about as high as you can go while keeping a reasonable cap hit. 14m is the most you can make in any given season (based on this years cap), and he got it for his first 4 years. With this contract Shea will probably be the highest paid player in the NHL for the next several years as no one else makes more then 12 and no one else will be able to sign for more for a while.

#178 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Rangers were also on Shea Weber's short list; d-man RFA visited NY recently, ESPN NY has learned. Story to come

Because living in the world's greatest city with unlimited funds and anonymity is so terrible.

#179 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

If Weber were a UFA he'd probably get a bigger contract. If the CBA were expiring next year Weber probably would have just taken a one year deal and gone to UFA to get that pay day, but I'm sure he's scared of max length contracts being introduced.

A lot of teams would not balk at matching it, but Nashville's relative frugality and the signing bonus issue might make them decide to let him go.

If so, I think the Flyers come out huge winners. Too bad the rest of their D is atrocious, and they made that stupid Luke Schenn trade.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#180 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Shea's contract is about as high as you can go while keeping a reasonable cap hit. 14m is the most you can make in any given season (based on this years cap), and he got it for his first 4 years. With this contract Shea will probably be the highest paid player in the NHL for the next several years as no one else makes more then 12 and no one else will be able to sign for more for a while.

I figured years 7-10 would give him more than 6 mill. At least I didn't think it would go from 12 to 6 when it does. I was thinking he would get 115-120 million when all was said and done.

Edited by ben00rs, 19 July 2012 - 03:38 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users