GDT: SCF GAME 6 - New Jersey @ Los Angeles

NJCroMag

I too had no problem with the call on the ice.. its with the non calls on the ensuing play.. like the punch to the head when the puck went down into LA zone.. or how about on the same PP later on koalchuck getting held at the blueline and getting rabbit shot 3 times to the back of the head.. where are the calls there refs?

I agree with you here.

I'm not going to read the rest of this thread because it'll probably be infuriating, but I feel the need to post something.

I don't care how this last game turned out, it doesn't change anything about how proud and impressed I am with this team. I'm scared that we're not going to be back there for awhile with all the uncertainty with Parise/Brodeur/ownership, which makes the loss tonight hurt, but...godDAMN it was a fun ride.

From exorcising the first-round demons to the clinic against Philly to shutting up Rangers fans with an epic overtime goal that gave us possibly my favorite action shot in Devils history:

11086689-large.jpg

To battling back and doubling the Kings loss total and being the only team that could defeat them on the road, this has been an incredible run. Let's not lose sight of that.

I love the character of this team. And as pissed as I was at Steve Bernier, and as much as he'll probably go down in Devils infamy as the scapegoat, you have to give him all the credit in the world for being in the locker room and answering every single question he was asked. Dude's still human, and if we all feel like sh!t right now, I can only imagine how he feels.

I hate that we don't get a parade, or some last celebration of one of the most enjoyable Devils teams in recent memory. I want to see them play one last time, be at the arena one last time, hang with all the friends I've made here and at the building one last time, and it sucks that that won't happen.

But god bless this team. Hell of a run.

And now that the need for superstition is over, can we PLEASE boot PhillyDev?

POD. Including (especially?) the last part.

I guess the more I look at the replay of the Bernier penalty, and the more I hear the analysts cover it, the more I believe it was the correct call. It's just too bad New Jersey gave up three goals during that five minutes. It's pretty bad actually.

I guess the more I look at the replay of the Bernier penalty, and the more I hear the analysts cover it, the more I believe it was the correct call. It's just too bad New Jersey gave up three goals during that five minutes. It's pretty bad actually.

Yea, I think it was the correct call on that particular play. The non-calls are what irk me in respect to the officiating. The team had the best penalty kill in the regular season and have been good in this series for the most part, but that 5 minutes just ruined us.

sh!t happens.

I'm not going to read the rest of this thread because it'll probably be infuriating, but I feel the need to post something.

I don't care how this last game turned out, it doesn't change anything about how proud and impressed I am with this team. I'm scared that we're not going to be back there for awhile with all the uncertainty with Parise/Brodeur/ownership, which makes the loss tonight hurt, but...godDAMN it was a fun ride.

From exorcising the first-round demons to the clinic against Philly to shutting up Rangers fans with an epic overtime goal that gave us possibly my favorite action shot in Devils history:

11086689-large.jpg

To battling back and doubling the Kings loss total and being the only team that could defeat them on the road, this has been an incredible run. Let's not lose sight of that.

I love the character of this team. And as pissed as I was at Steve Bernier, and as much as he'll probably go down in Devils infamy as the scapegoat, you have to give him all the credit in the world for being in the locker room and answering every single question he was asked. Dude's still human, and if we all feel like sh!t right now, I can only imagine how he feels.

I hate that we don't get a parade, or some last celebration of one of the most enjoyable Devils teams in recent memory. I want to see them play one last time, be at the arena one last time, hang with all the friends I've made here and at the building one last time, and it sucks that that won't happen.

But god bless this team. Hell of a run.

And now that the need for superstition is over, can we PLEASE boot PhillyDev?

Lastone, I really couldn't have said it any better. Fantastic post. This team will absolutely go down as my favorite Devils team that didnt win a Cup for sure. I couldnt be any prouder of this group than I am right now. It was an amazing ride, and for that, I say to the boys: THANK YOU.

I greatly dislike Brown. Don't know what it is about him exactly that irks me. Just rubs me the wrong way

I've developed an intense hatred for the Kings. They're cheap, they whine, and they're a bunch of pansies. They can all get bent as far as I'm concerned. I have no respect for them and I hope they get thier sh!t pushed in hardcore next year. And I hope to God we get another shot to do it to them too.

Too bad DinLA had to bear witness to this fvcking jip job, I hope he got the fvck out of there and didn't stick around for their bullsh!t party.

Guys, I have so many observations from what was easily the most painful Devils game I have ever seen in person.

What I DO want to say quickly, is that I didn't bolt like some beaten pansy.

I stood proud with my NJ jersey on gave the Stanley Cup the respect it deserves as it was presented and passed around - and I kept the damn thing on the whole way to the parking lots despite the taunts. I think thats the way it should be.

People yelled "Devils suck", "F the Devils" - but it didn't matter to me - they were few in number.

Lastly I will say this - SOOO many LA Kings fans stopped me and said "Congrats on a great season", "Hell of a series", "Great game man", "You've got 3 cups - be proud", "Brodeur - what a great career - hold your head high". I was utterly impressed at how classy everyone was. Not one guy rushed me or did more than the expected trash talk. SO different than a NYR or PHI attitude. The kid next to me that I wanted to punch the whole game - put his hand on my shoulder at the game's end and said "You really do have a great franchise there - congrats on a great season". That type of respect changed my attitude in an instant.

I KNOW folks are pissed - and thats natural - so was I and I'm really not trying to be the "Devil's Advocate" - but I do want recount my experience.

The feed didn't do the crowd justice - firsthand - they did scream so loud that I had to block my ears.

Its OK to hate them - the rivalry just got MUCH deeper - but I can say I appreciated the respect, and think it could have been a lot worse with the fans.

But seriouslly - I'm spent.

Edited by DevilinLA
  • Like 4

We went further than I expected. We were a tired team that couldn't handle a 5 minute PK, simple as that. After the 5 minutes of PK and 3 goals against the game was over.

As far as next season I wish Marty would retire on a high from this season and play off run. But that's his choice along with the Devils. I hope there is a season next year starting in October, that will take compromise on the part of the NHL and the Players Association.

Lets have a good summer and hope the Devils improve as a team. It's going to be an interesting summer with Parise, Devils finances, Marty and the CBA.

Lastly I will say this - SOOO many LA Kings fans stopped me and said "Congrats on a great season", "Hell of a series", "Great game man", "You've got 3 cups - be proud", "Brodeur - what a great career - hold your head high". I was utterly impressed at how classy everyone was. Not one guy rushed me or did more than the expected trash talk. SO different than a NYR or PHI attitude. The kid next to me that I wanted to punch the whole game - put his hand on my shoulder at the game's end and said "You really do have a great franchise there - congrats on a great season". That type of respect changed my attitude in an instant.

Thanks for posting this...it's refreshing to hear.

Mad props to the Kings and their fans then. Enjoy that Cup!

It is really unfortunate that the refs' noncall then call completely dictated the result of this game. Personally I think they got the Bernier call correct, it was the non-call that was the injustice. But even after the call, the Kings hammered it home 3 times.

It was a great and unexpected run. Two months ago we didn't think we'd be playing in June, sure you may have hoped for it but certainly didn't believe we would be. I am happy that they were able to dump both the Flyers and the overrated Rangers along the way. Hopefully all the extra games/sales/share of TV will help their finances. Also, Kovy get healthy for next years run! So thanks to the team (inc. Bernier even though you had a monumental mistake) and their coaches for a really entertaining spring.

I am really looking forward to Larsson, Henrique, a healthy Kovy, a re-signed Zach and another year of Marty (and maybe Wedgewood?). And to top it off it looks like we won't be wondering who the coach will be!!!!

It is really unfortunate that the refs' noncall then call completely dictated the result of this game. Personally I think they got the Bernier call correct, it was the non-call that was the injustice. But even after the call, the Kings hammered it home 3 times.

This is exactly what I felt all last night and into today. No excuse for Bernier's hit, and he definitely deserved 5 minutes for it. However, it never should have gotten to that point because the Kings should have gotten a penalty on the Gionta hit 10 seconds earlier. That non-call really decided this game, along with the fact that the Devils were putrid on the PK and let the Kings run all over them.

Overall, it was a great season, and one we should be proud of. If you told me in September that we would get 102 points, make the playoffs, beat the Flyers and Rangers on the way to the SCF, but lose, I would have signed up for it in a heartbeat.

This is going to be a long post. First off, congratulations to the Los Angeles Kings. They showed the world that it doesn't matter how you get in but how you play once the first puck is dropped. They played unbelievably from the first round to the Final. The Devils just woke up and start winning a game too late.

The Bernier call: Absolute bull ****. In the first ten minutes of an elimination game in game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals your going to handicap a team on a 5 minute major and eject a player on an extremely borderline hit? Are you ****ing kidding me? I'm not blaming why we lost the series on the refs but they gave the Devils no chance in this game.

Bernier was doing his job forechecking and hitting and he was finishing a check. Every game defensemen go back to retrieve the puck pass and take the hit from the side. Scuderi in the last second turned PUTTING HIMSELF in the vulnerable position to be bloodied and potentially hurt but WE get penalized.

The refs need to know what the situation is in the game. Don't tell me I'm making excuses on why the Devils lost. That call was truly brutal and horrifying. With every year that passes it seems players can do less and less without getting a pe:nalty. These refs ****ed up big time, so heres a big **** you NHL.

Berniers Future: Bring him back. I applaud him for his work ethic and forechecking. He was doing his job. If we are in that situation 10 more times I want him forechecking hard and taking the body like he did. Sometimes **** happens and the ref botched a call and Scuderi turned into it.

Volchenkov/ref pick: Alright, so the linemen is off the board and he takes Volchenkov out of the rush completely. This allows for the Kings to set up and eventually score. This is another example of the refs making their impact felt yet again. After the shot the whistle needs to be blown. So frustrating.

The rest of the game: I'll try to keep this short. We killed off Volchenkovs penalty early and were looking good and energized. Then we know what happened which changed the game.

Who to applaud and who to blame: I applaud every one that was on the team during this run. I blame NO ONE. It truly has been a great year!

Our future: Our captain and starting goalie are slated to be UFA's. In this situation 29 other teams fan bases would be worried. I am not though. I'm confident in Lou and management to get what needs to be done done.

LETS GO DEVILS

i just read an article on the kings' current president of business operations, Luc Robitaille, and how he's finally brought the cup to LA and it reminded me and how i forgot to say that I was in the same elevator as him in game 1 in NJ. my friend and i shook his hand and nobody in the elevator knew who he was. definitely a classy guy.. with an absolute smoke show of a milf on his arm