GDT: Wings @ Devils 7PM 1st Meeting as Eastern Conference Foes

ThreeCups

I don't think Tedenby and Josefson would earn the coach's trust even without that.  Josefson in particular was really bad on the one PK where the Devils got hemmed in their own zone.  When healthy they have the depth for 4 lines but right now with 3 injuries and Olesz leaving, I don't think they'd have it.

I don't know why anyone is down on PDB after this game, we don't have scoring talent. I like his system it IS creating chances, we just don't bury them. The one knock on pete has been his terrible management of personnel, I have no complaints with who he went with tonight. Unless you are from an alternate reality where this was the game brunner started producing and had 2 goals.

And for bigz roasting Henrique, Henrique was basically robbed by a ridiculous behind the back no look save, barring a heroic goal tending effort there he would have scored. He is clearly a little hurt but there are people I would be more quick to bench then him. And that last goal, I mean that was threaded through such a small space that could have happened to everyone on our roster.

We just don't bury them? fvck, we don't even take the shots. It's so unbelievably frustrating that they just show NO URGENCY WHATSOEVER! Down a goal late in the 3rd? No-look drop pass to no one. Like, are you fvcking kidding me? I've been to some sh!tty games this year, but this one was the most boring lackluster effort yet. It was legitimately embarrassing. I've been frustrated with DeBo, but I'm officially on the fire him bandwagon for good. It's time for a change.

Also, I'm pretty sure we tied our franchise low for SOG in a game. And I only know that because we already came close to doing so once this season before tonight. That's just hilariously bad.

sometimes, even when the moves you make have reason, they just don't work out. i don't hate the roster construction - it makes a lot of sense. these guys just do not produce - that's all there is to it.

the problem isn't that the 4th line doesn't score. but when you dress janssen and then have to shorten your bench. when you choose not to trust josefson - you burn out jagr (who again looked bad after the first 5 minutes) and there's just nothing there.

zajac is playing well - he just doesn't score.

elias has not played well.

henrique not only isn't scoring, but he's playing poorly in all 3 zones.

zidlicky should shoot himself.

and the PP needs to get completely thrown out - there's just no fvcking clue there.

they played well for 40 minutes in montreal. they dominated the worst team in the league in the sabres and won 1-0 in OT.

guys - this is just not a good team and it's going to be a frustrating season. for every step forward, its 2-3 steps back.

It's a good team, but it exists on thin margins.  When the goaltending is elite, which it can be consistently, it wins.  When it's not, it doesn't work.  Loktionov has improved some, but yeah, I don't think Elias is 100% and right now it's hurting the team because Henrique can't pick it up at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure we tied our franchise low for SOG in a game. And I only know that because we already came close to doing so once this season before tonight. That's just hilariously bad.

The Devils didn't get many shots tonight, but they got more than 11.  The scorer is just hilariously inept.

It's a good team, but it exists on thin margins.  When the goaltending is elite, which it can be consistently, it wins.  When it's not, it doesn't work.  Loktionov has improved some, but yeah, I don't think Elias is 100% and right now it's hurting the team because Henrique can't pick it up at all.

Devils have been shut out five times and held to one goal six times (and needed OT to score that one goal in one of those games).  That's asking a lot of your goalies, even elite ones.   

Devils have been shut out five times and held to one goal six times (and needed OT to score that one goal in one of those games).  That's asking a lot of your goalies, even elite ones.   

Ya know, I thought the same thing. It's tough trying to gage it from the other end of the ice when you're there, but multiple times early on I thought I saw shots get through and I'd look up and it would still be at 0 SOG. Still, I would really love to see them shoot more, ESPECIALLY on the PP. Early on when they were actually scoring on it a few games in a row, it was because they were firing away and getting rebounds and garbage goals, then they just stopped. Drives me nuts.

Ya know, I thought the same thing. It's tough trying to gage it from the other end of the ice when you're there, but multiple times early on I thought I saw shots get through and I'd look up and it would still be at 0 SOG. Still, I would really love to see them shoot more, ESPECIALLY on the PP. Early on when they were actually scoring on it a few games in a row, it was because they were firing away and getting rebounds and garbage goals, then they just stopped. Drives me nuts.

I think you meant to quote Tri, but I remember thinking something was wrong with the scoreboard in the first period, as far as the shot count went...seemed like it was at zero for longer than it should have been.

I agree, but the PP has improved with Gelinas.  It has to improve with everyone else.

It's a shame because Brunner brings exactly what this team needs but he can't get it together.  Also Boucher was completely absent tonight, but so was that line.

And yeah, the shots thing is just getting ridiculous.  The scorer was always bad but this year he seems worse.

Edited by Triumph

Devils seem like a pretty good on-paper team that just doesn't seem to be clicking often enough...getting held to one goal or less in 36.6% of the games played to date with this group is shocking.  I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but I don't blame DeBoer for rolling the dice by scratching Brunner...maybe that wakes him up. 

I just don't understand why the Devils are undercounted attendance this year, and now undercounting their own shots. I know in the past they did that for Devils opponents (for example Toronto got more than 6 in that famous playoff game) but that was to shame the opposition...this year the Devils are almost trying to embarrass themselves.

I just don't understand why the Devils are undercounted attendance this year, and now undercounting their own shots. I know in the past they did that for Devils opponents (for example Toronto got more than 6 in that famous playoff game) but that was to shame the opposition...this year the Devils are almost trying to embarrass themselves.

Our shot count tonight is one of the headlines on NHL.com... Embarrassing... :doh1:

Just beat the Rangers and it'll make all this go away and also it will make the Rangers look really bad considering how pathetic the Devils looked tonight.

I think Brodeur should have started against Detriot. Debour throws a dart with his eyes closed when choosing which goaltender to go with.

He has zero idea of what he is doing and I think it affects the goalies. It's game 30 and there is still no rhythm. You're really going to start Brodeur at MSG tomorrow on a 3 game losing streak? If he lets up one goal the place goes wild with washed up Marty chants and the whole teams moral is done. I'm sorry but the coach HAS to think like that. Schneider deserved a chance to go in there tomorrow to get the win. I just hate this coach, always have. I've hated him since his first year when they were beating the Florida panthers in a game 3-0 and lost in the third period 4-3. He's too laid back in the wrong areas and doesn't know how to handle personnel. Granted this years team has the poorest personnel I've seen in a long time but whatever something needs to change.

I find it difficult to watch these games this season. I felt the same way last season.

I think Schneider has seen enough about the Devils to know this is not where he wants to be long term. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave after next season as a UFA. Marty won't be around so we will have a goalie problem to go along with the already existing problems.

Big changes are needed to improve this team. The two way player system no longer fits, it inhibits the offense. We need a goalie or goalies to stop the puck, defense men to play good defense and help the goalies and move the puck out of the zone to the offense men and then offense men that have speed, youth and stick-handling, with some veteran to keep them honest, that can and will score goals.

Not all hockey players can adjust to a two way system that dumps the puck all the time. The Devils have living proof that doesn't work. 

I guess we need to start with a new coach but we still need more, many more, changes to follow. 

I think Schneider has seen enough about the Devils to know this is not where he wants to be long term. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave after next season as a UFA. Marty won't be around so we will have a goalie problem to go along with the already existing problems.

This question can't be answered in December 2013...it's simply too early to say either way.  A lot can change between now and when he goes UFA.     

When they get molested tonight hopefully it would be the last straw. Personnel and philosophical changes are needed.

coaches can only do so much with an ahl roster in the nhl.. look at our lines theyre horrible.. zubrus does not belong on a first line hes a 3rd line guy.. same goes for jagr hes a solid second line player right now however hes our best forward at the time.. i think bernier was on the 2nd line last night that says it all... hes a fourth liner. we had janssen in over brunner.. hes turned into a bust on us which left us with another hole to fill.. we need our injured players to get healthy .. and even then we still lack talent at full strength