Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Elated at the 5 runs, but the offense better not go to sleep because 5 may not be enough tonight

No doubt. Hefner is horrible vs lefties and this Yanks' lineup is loaded with them, not to mention how much Yankee Stadium favors left-handed batters. 

Not a fan of Hefner pitching tonight, but hey what choice to we have? He gives up the longball and this is a little league field, so hopefully our offense comes out of its slumber as well. Would've liked to see Valdespin in this lineup.

The Mets are actually 0-10 in his last 10 starts (though he only absorbed 5 losses himself) not all of that is his fault.

He's due for a win right?

He's only made 9 starts (one appearance was in relief).  He's made 5 quality starts, and of those 5 starts, he gave up 2 runs or less in four of them.  He could easily have three or four wins at this point.  He's had beyond rotten luck.  At any rate, he's given the Mets far more than they had any right to expect...he's showing signs of becoming a serviceable #5.  I was expecting him to have the kind of year Gee is having.

This 5-0 lead is great, but I have a feeling this is going to be a tough night.  I do agree that this is probably not a great park for Hef to be pitching in.   

45 pitches for Hef...laboring. This start has a "dam's going to burst" feeling to it. Just hoping when the big inning happens, Hef can minimize the damage.

Loving Murphy right now. He's looked much better defensively this year by both the eye-test and defensive metrics and he's been fantastic at the plate (season wRC+ up to 125 after that hit). He'll regress, but he's on pace to have a pretty nice year.

Quintanilla was pulled from Las Vegas' game. This pretty much guarantees Tejada is headed to the DL and Quintanilla will be replacing him. The only question now is who gets dumped from the 40-man.

gotta be Carson...though suppose it could be McHugh

Believe it or not, Ike is somehow 5-for-20 in his last 6 GP (.250 BA), with 4 RBI.  He's still looked pretty bad (1 BB, 11 K) in that time, and I still think Sandy has loused this up to the nth degree...the precedent set is that you can bascially do next to nothing but still get chance after chance after chance and still see your name in the lineup (same with Tejada).  And I don't necessarily think Ike has snapped out of this thing yet...the brutal ABs and strikeouts bear that out.

Here's Hef's numbers in his 10 starts (throwing out the relief appearance):

56 IP, 52 H, 28 ER, 20 BB, 8 HR, 41 K, .255 BA, 4.50 ERA, 6 QS  

If you want to call him "below average", fine, and I'll be the first to admit I expected next to nothing from him this season.  But if he can keep churning out 6 IP/3 ER, keep my team in the game-type outings, he can find a spot in the bottom of this rotation or someone else's.  He's been respectable, and reasonably consistent. 

All you gotta do is see what a trainwreck Gee's been in comparison, to appreciate Hef's decent consistency.  A whopping ONE QS in 10 starts.  A whopping 69 hits allowed in 49.2 IP.  Interesting number courtesy of ESPN:  Hitters are batting .225 during Gee's first trip through the order, and .392 thereafter.  Sounds like he might be better off in the 'pen...at any rate, it's hard to think he won't be the guy who loses his spot when Wheeler is eventually called up.  

Zack Wheeler's last two outings since his clavicle injury have been pretty meh:  9 IP, 9 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 6 K.  He's also allowed 4 HRs.  I get the feeling he'd really have to tank not to get called up though, and as we know, the PCL is not kind to pitchers' numbers.  I'm not expecting him to storm into the majors the way Harvey did (I don't even think Harvey himself was expecting that...or ANYONE else for that matter)...I think Zack will probably be pretty "meh" at best this season (he turns 23 today...still very young, and Harvey-type instant-success stories are not the norm), but at least it looks like he should get his feet plenty wet before the season's out. 

Stammerin' Sandy is going to cap him at 180-185 innings this season...he's got 52.1 IP in AAA (10 starts).  I'm thinking he probably won't even reach that...if he gets 70-80 IP in the majors this season (I get the feeling they'll be "tough" innings...lots of baserunners), and doesn't get sent down, he'll have done plenty, as far as I'm concerned. 

Niese has shoulder tendinitis, will miss at least one start. McHugh will take his place.

Hopefully it's nothing serious but it's hard not to be worried when "pitcher" and "shoulder" are in the same sentence.

Quintanilla can't play much worse than Tejada. 

Yeah, never like hearing that a pitcher is having shoulder issues of any kind.  He had been terrific in his last three starts too. 

I think it's good to see McHugh get a start.  He's obviously on the outside looking in (especially with Hefner at least showing he can compete in the majors, for the moment), but he may get a chance, IF Gee continues to flat-out suck, AND Wheeler struggles enough that he doesn't get his expected call-up.  Marcum getting hurt would open up a door for him as well.

Not implying that such a scenario is ideal...admittedly I'm close to giving up on Gee, but Marcum has shown he can be an effective major-leaguer when healthy, and of course we ALL want to see Zack pitching up here sooner than later.  But with the way Gee has pitched, I think McHugh deserves a shot, and Gee a demotion to try to figure himself out.   Hard to believe Gee was once 7-0 with a 2.86 ERA back on June 15, 2011.  And he finished strong last season too, before he got hurt (3.11 ERA in his last 10 starts).  It's probably those stretches that are earning Gee these starts to try to snap out of it...but he simply doesn't look like the same guy. 

You guys try to tailgate recently? Are these new rules? No alcohol in cans or bottles or you get a fine... They made us put it in cups. I went last week with a few buddies (Niese vs Cinci) and they were giving us a hard time. I just turned 21 but have tailgated at plenty of venues and nobody has ever given us a single issue. They do everything possible to piss off their fans. Some great neighbors hooked us up with a few cups but that is such a crazy rule

You guys try to tailgate recently? Are these new rules? No alcohol in cans or bottles or you get a fine... They made us put it in cups. I went last week with a few buddies (Niese vs Cinci) and they were giving us a hard time. I just turned 21 but have tailgated at plenty of venues and nobody has ever given us a single issue. They do everything possible to piss off their fans. Some great neighbors hooked us up with a few cups but that is such a crazy rule

I think the cup rule has been in place for a while.  I've been bringing cups for years.

I know nmig hates him, but Byrd has at least been passable, compared to most of the outfield trash.  Ed Coleman was on the WFAN doing his Met update, and mentioned that Byrd is pretty well-liked in the clubhouse and has been great with the young guys, for what that's worth. 

Gee pitched an absolute GEM. Unbelievable outing. TC pulling him in the 8th despite him dominating AND being under 90 pitches; I hate this move. It would be one thing if he allowed a baserunner or two but he's whiffed the last 5 batters. Come on.

Edited by nmigliore