Elias about Lou's free agents approach

SterioDesign

You used some terrible logic there. We don't know if they have an internal cap, but you go on to tell us they could have dealt a d-man? Were you on the phones? Did you hear the offers? Oh, you didn't. How interesting.

It's common sense based on the market. Douglas Murray went for two two's. I refuse to believe Lou couldn't have gotten a mid-round pick for Tallinder. They could have absolutely traded Fayne, who they've been jerking around all year anyway. That's without even mentioning Greene, Larsson, Zidlicky and Harrold who you could trade but it wouldn't make much sense to do so, for different reasons. Edited by NJDevs4978

It's common sense based on the market. Douglas Murray went for two two's. I refuse to believe Lou couldn't have gotten a mid-round pick for Tallinder. They could have absolutely traded Fayne, who they've been jerking around all year anyway. That's without even mentioning Greene, Larsson, Zidlicky and Harrold who you could trade but it wouldn't make much sense to do so, for different reasons.

I don't care about any of it unless you felt we were getting a 2nd or better for them, with all these guys having time remaining on their contracts, it made them less appealing than some other options.If Lou can wait out the market and use patience to increase returns, that's the best way forward with these assets.

I hope Elias stays in Jersey.  Given Lou's track record of overpaying veteran players at the tail end of their careers, I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

Elias wants job security and is complaining that Lou didn't offer him a contract at the peak of his performance this season like other GMs often do with their own players.  He's just venting.  That lack of job security is part of the frustration that comes with being an NHL hockey player. I don't read anything into it.

I pretty much feel the same way.

Elias is human. He is aloud to vent a little.

Sure he has been around here longer than everyone but Marty and knows how Lou operates. But that doesn't mean he has to like it.

I equate it to rock bands. How many whole bands stay together for their entire careers? Hardly any of them. Even the successful ones. In the course of a band's career, there is almost always a defection or firing based on salary, respect, personality clash etc. Even with some major band players.

Whether or not Patty stays, who knows. It's too early to guess. But the decision might not be as simple as some fans might think. A lot of things will factor into it.

The Pete Panics on this board don't recognize that besides Detroit (which is a very old team up front already), most teams that traditionally spend a bunch are going to have to be cutting salary, not adding it.  Elias will be getting offers if he makes it to July 5, but they won't likely be from great teams/great markets.

The Pete Panics on this board don't recognize that besides Detroit (which is a very old team up front already), most teams that traditionally spend a bunch are going to have to be cutting salary, not adding it.  Elias will be getting offers if he makes it to July 5, but they won't likely be from great teams/great markets.

Teams that are close will pay what they need to to get a guy like Elias.  If they have to they'll maneuver to get it done. 

If Lou gives Patty an offer it will likely be the bargain basement sort and he'll expect him to sign it out of loyalty. If no offer is made...watch him go to the Kings in a "rich get richer" scenario. They have cap space and a young team. Could use a veteran presence to make the lockerroom even stronger than it already is. Just my opinion. ..

You have a team of all kids, and you never get out of the abyss.  Just ask the Oilers.  They keep trying to build around kids, and they don't get it either.  Youth is only good if you have vets around to help them grow and set an example.  Unless you get lucky enough to draft Crosby and Malkin in back-to-back years, but not every draft year can have someone like 'that' who's attainable.

It's possible to incorporate youth while still having a vet presence.  The 2000 Devils had four rookies in the starting lineup, but they still had a good group of vets around them.  They need to have some more youth in this lineup, but it's not the be-all end-all it's made out to be by you and others.

I agree, we need a mix of vets as well, but right now we are too old & too slow, we need more youth... & BTW Vets donot need to be 36m Zajac, Clarky & Kovy are all vets are they not?? ( as well as Carter & Bernier)

I'm not suggesting every player under 24, but we have way too many over 32

I haven't read this whole thread but I hope Clarkson is gone after this year. He is the type of player I can't stand, always whining to the refs, dives too often. Let him walk.

I dont think anyone is in to trashign you this season -- but hey I appreciate your effort in spreading some idiocy.

If you're serious - I put forth that it's Clarkson job to be that guy. He's not a whiner diver a la a Penguin just so we have that clear - he's obnoxious -- And he's got some talent to back it up too.  I think you're just confused about his role because he's played so far above it - while at the same time not matching a guy like Pepe. 

I'd hate it if the whole team just sat back reciting please sit can I have another.  Yet I dont think it's the place of the Captain to whine like Langenbrunner did when things got tough.  Diplomacy has it's place - and it's not with the team menace which Clarkson is in all it's glory and lack there of.

I haven't read this whole thread but I hope Clarkson is gone after this year. He is the type of player I can't stand, always whining to the refs, dives too often. Let him walk.

I hate that "who, me?" look after every time he is called for a penalty that he does.  Pisses me off that he rather whine to the refs than continue on with the play.

If Lou gives Patty an offer it will likely be the bargain basement sort and he'll expect him to sign it out of loyalty. If no offer is made...watch him go to the Kings in a "rich get richer" scenario. They have cap space and a young team. Could use a veteran presence to make the lockerroom even stronger than it already is. Just my opinion. ..

This idea that Lou is always lowballing his own players is 10 years out of date.

I hate that "who, me?" look after every time he is called for a penalty that he does.  Pisses me off that he rather whine to the refs than continue on with the play.

if you ask me i think if he gets a penalty called on him thats exactly what he should be doing.. do you really want a guy thats out there causing intentional penaltys or realizing he is making a penalty then acting like he intended to do it or that it was ok to do such and put his team in a bad situation.. atleast if he plays like he didnt do anything it shows everyone else it was unintentional and he didnt mean to put his team down a player.. clarkson is not a big time goal scorer, the beginning of the season was a flukey thing for him, hes a grinder hes suppose to be out there getting gritty and on top of which hes the best fighter we have at the moment, i do not want to see him walk although like everyone else i do not want to see a ton of money blown on him either.. its amazing, someone can come out of no where and get lucky with a few consecutive goals in the beginning of the year and then go back to playing pretty much the way hes been known to play here and all of a sudden everyone wants him gone

if you ask me i think if he gets a penalty called on him thats exactly what he should be doing.. do you really want a guy thats out there causing intentional penaltys or realizing he is making a penalty then acting like he intended to do it or that it was ok to do such and put his team in a bad situation.. atleast if he plays like he didnt do anything it shows everyone else it was unintentional and he didnt mean to put his team down a player.. clarkson is not a big time goal scorer, the beginning of the season was a flukey thing for him, hes a grinder hes suppose to be out there getting gritty and on top of which hes the best fighter we have at the moment, i do not want to see him walk although like everyone else i do not want to see a ton of money blown on him either.. its amazing, someone can come out of no where and get lucky with a few consecutive goals in the beginning of the year and then go back to playing pretty much the way hes been known to play here and all of a sudden everyone wants him gone

Someone posted his shot% and it was identical from this season to his career average. Anyone whining is just pissy. Clarky has scored enough to make himself worthwhile. Unfortunately, he just did it all in the first 20 games.

I do see the point on this... it means he's waiting for it - which means his mind isn't completely on finishing.  Which is what I noticed is his fatal flaw.  He cuts out at the very last second - and for a guy who got where he is on hard work -- he needs to focus right to the very end.  100% hockey until a few seconds AFTER play stops not before.

Edited by Pepperkorn

If he does that he is then working his way into Crosby cry-baby territory.

In the last minute of the game on Friday he was more concerned with crying to the refs about a non-call than he was getting back into the still-going-on play.  To me he puts himself up above the rest of the team and that pisses me off more than him not scoring.

he'll get overpaid by toronto or whomever else, and we will just part ways and watch him become the next gomez. 

No I really dont think so.  Clarkson is smart.  And he runs his own life.  He's confident and knows what he wants and hockey comes before his ego.  I'd be shocked -- FLOORED if he left the Devils.

HE absolutely does NOT put himself above the team.  A total mis-read on that  one.  It's poor focus and a full knowledge that he's kind of sh!tty at second guessing but knows he's got to try -- WHICH PULLS FOCUS FROM PLAYING YOU DOOOFUS!

The intuition for Clarkson is ABSOLUTELY there.  But it's scary as sh!t to trust - so he doesn't.  Which shockingly enough causes him to stop working -- to pull his focus onto worrying rather than seeing the hard work through to the end.  He's got to learn to ride it out to the bitter end.  He was set for the hard work at the start of the season - but then got all shocked it worked.    This is the danger of having a lot of confidence but not quite the ego.  See -- funny you think he has too much ego when I really think it's just the opposite.  It's hard to tell the difference and really hard to articulate so I hope most of you guys can understand what I'm writing.

Clarkson is a lot like Stevens in that he really understand his strengths - but Clarkson can't surrender to what he doesn't understand about himself  - so he has to work even harder.  Nothing can come easy.  yet I think when it DID it flipped him out.  Almost like "sh!t - - but I'm not actually good :huh:  But I AM ... but... errr"

Edited by Pepperkorn

he'll get overpaid by toronto or whomever else, and we will just part ways and watch him become the next gomez. 

No one is paying a guy who's scored like Clarky has over the last half big money. He'll get offers surely, but the Devils will easily be able to be in that ballpark. I doubt he gets an offer for more than $5M per.