GDT: Islanders @ NJ Devils 1PM 11/26/11

newarkdev01

Accident or not, the puck was kicked in. Why are we so biased all the time? I'm a guilty homer usually, but the puck was kicked in. I don't think it says anything about accidents in the rule. If a foot goes forward and knocks the puck in the net, it's not a goal. If the skate is stationary and a puck deflects off of it, it's a goal. Clearly this cannot be an example of case 2 because the puck was not moving. Tough loss, but I can see why it was waived off. Gotta work it with the stick Zach, lesson learned the hard way unfortunately. The Toronto goal is clearly a goal. He did not kick it, he tilted his skate so it would deflect off of it.

Edited by hurricane1091

Believe in conspiracy if you want. Devils fans are great at it. It's a sh!t break he didn't get his stick on it. But he was also a foot from the net. Doesn't give you much of a chance to

When did I say anything about a conspiracy? My problem with this ruling is that it's clearly inconsistent with previous decisions, and their ruling doesn't cite the full rule from the book.

It shouldn't have even come to that anyway, did the league buy off our players to keep giving Grabner the puck until he scored a goal?

We already were in position to get a point or better out of the game. Shouldn't have to steal it with 2 seconds left in a scrum

When did I say anything about a conspiracy? My problem with this ruling is that it's clearly inconsistent with previous decisions, and their ruling doesn't cite the full rule from the book.

Trust me, there will be plenty of conspiracy talk. lol

Accident or not, the puck was kicked in. Why are we so biased all the time? I'm a guilty homer usually, but the puck was kicked in. I don't think it says anything about accidents in the rule. If a foot goes forward and knocks the puck in the net, it's not a goal. If the skate is stationary and a puck deflects off of it, it's a goal. Clearly this cannot be an example of case 2 because the puck was not moving. Tough loss, but I can see why it was waived off. Gotta work it with the stick Zach, lesson learned the hard way unfortunately. The Toronto goal is clearly a goal. He did not kick it, he tilted his skate so it would deflect off of it.

That's not the rule. I think YOU'RE the one that doesn't understand the rule at all.

Being biased is one thing. I am looking at the rule book and at previous examples, and saying that I think the call is sh!t. Where is the distinct kick on this play? I see a skate turn, a player falling backwards, and the puck going into the net. The NHL's explanation was that the puck was "propelled into the net off the skate". That's all they said. I agree with them. Too bad the rule also says that it has to be a distinct kicking motion, which it clearly wasn't. I would like to see the NHL's explanation for how they determined it was. Instead of just playing the "Wow everyone's so biased and I'm not, lololol" card, why not actually consider the play and the rules at hand? Clarke MacArthur kicked just as hard as Parise did. He turned the skate, but also moved it forward, propelling the puck at the net. Watch the clip. It's clearly not "stationary", like you said.

It shouldn't have even come to that anyway, did the league buy off our players to keep giving Grabner the puck until he scored a goal?

We already were in position to get a point or better out of the game. Shouldn't have to steal it with 2 seconds left in a scrum

I agree, but that's irrelevant. We still had a goal and at least a point in the standings stolen from us.

Skates being stationary has NOTHING to do with the allowance of a goal off a skate. In fact, a majority of reviewed goals fall into the category of when a player moving at speed has the puck go off their skate.

It is an inexcusable muff by Toronto. They tried to cover their ass by leaving out the distinct and tried to fit it under propel. Almost every goal I see off a skate propels the puck towrds the goal. The video ealier in this thread completley undermines their logic.

Being biased is one thing. I am looking at the rule book and at previous examples, and saying that I think the call is sh!t. Where is the distinct kick on this play? I see a skate turn, a player falling backwards, and the puck going into the net. The NHL's explanation was that the puck was "propelled into the net off the skate". That's all they said. I agree with them. Too bad the rule also says that it has to be a distinct kicking motion, which it clearly wasn't. I would like to see the NHL's explanation for how they determined it was. Instead of just playing the "Wow everyone's so biased and I'm not, lololol" card, why not actually consider the play and the rules at hand? Clarke MacArthur kicked just as hard as Parise did. He turned the skate, but also moved it forward, propelling the puck at the net. Watch the clip. It's clearly not "stationary", like you said.

+1

I liked seeing your explanation as one of the top comments on NHL.com. Good stuff

I agree with prodigy.. Very weird that the NHL leaves out part of their own rule when discussing the ruling.. Again, not saying conspiracy or anything like that but I can't recall them cherry-picking which part of a rule they want to focus on to uphold their call

I seriously can not believe how incredibly pathetic Kovalchucks passing skills are. I bet nobody is ignoring my NEGATIVE posts on his erratic play now. He just cost us a game in my opinion we NEEDED to have. The entire league is way to close this year. EVERY point matters. The fact we didn't go 6 points for 6 points against these pathetic teams is inexcusable. The Devils scored a total of 5 goals vs. the 3 worst teams in 3 games. Congrats, our team is awesome. And enough about Kovalchuck not fitting in on RW. He should be able to play fvcking goalie for the amount he gets paid. He just doesn't fit in with the New Jersey Devils all together; RW has nothing to do with it.

we're all trying to ignore all of your posts all together. you really need to fvck off.. when we're all in sh!t moods on this board, you just find a way to make matters worse. go fvck yourself.. noone cares about how much you hate kovalchuk, or how pathetic you think the team is. i've said it before, and ill say it again, find another team to root for. pittsburgh is doing pretty well, go grab a crosby jersey and root for them. they seem to be able to do no wrong over there, so you should be pretty happy over there. i try not to get into lame internet fights, but you really find a way to push me and piss me off more than i am after a loss. now, go fvck yourself and your little whiny baby comments.

• Like 1

Parise turned his skate while falling. Are you kidding me with that ruling? Yes Kovy killed our momentum and put us behind and then took a stupid penalty but the refs (or I should say the refs upstairs) took away the game.

Edited by ben00rs

He kicked the puck, now quit kicking yourselves over it (pun intended). He looked down and saw the puck, he knew what he was doing. It's not a goal, plain and simple. I understand the rules prodigy, get over the sour grapes and accept that it was not a goal. There's been much worse against us that was bullsh!t. Parise was in the crease before the puck and kicked it in. Even if he didn't kick it, the fact that he was in the crease like that could of disallowed the goal too.

And yes, the foot can be moving but by stationary I meant not kicking. I believe the NHL hates us too but this is not really in that category. The NHL is not out there doing full on 5 month investigations finding out the players motives. They looked at the replay and this is what they say. They saw a player look down at the puck and they have to assume the player now knows where the puck is. Then, they say that player's skate extend forward and knock the puck in the net. Like it or not, if you were in charge of making a decision how could you not rule no goal? You don't know players motives and that's not your job. All you know is a player looked down at the puck and a second later his skate extends and the puck is in the net. You have to assume it was an intentional kick it and disallow the goal.

He kicked the puck, now quit kicking yourselves over it (pun intended). He looked down and saw the puck, he knew what he was doing. It's not a goal, plain and simple. I understand the rules prodigy, get over the sour grapes and accept that it was not a goal. There's been much worse against us that was bullsh!t. Parise was in the crease before the puck and kicked it in. Even if he didn't kick it, the fact that he was in the crease like that could of disallowed the goal too.

If it was a distinct kicking motion, as you feel it was, then why wouldn't the NHL use that in their explanation of the ruling? They've used it before where pertinent, but left it out here.. A distinct kicking motion is easily ground for disallowing a goal, yet they didn't want to say that.. Even they don't think it was as obvious as you seem to feel it was

they seem fvcking lazy. kovalchuck last 2 minutes he was caught up in islanders zone fails to come back onside causing offside when he should have hustled to get back onside. he had all time in world to get back onside

Edited by Devilsrock01

Really? And you know this, how? Did you ask him?

Let me just settle this now: if you believe in your heart that Parise distinctly kicked at the puck, then fine. I'm not going to convince you otherwise even though I completely disagree. My problem with this ruling is that the NHL defended the decision by citing only half of the actual rule, without explaining why THEY believe that there was a distinct kicking motion. Whether or not you agree with the decision, if you're a fan of the Devils, I don't see how you could NOT be bothered by the NHL's vague and hastily-prepared defense of the ruling. At the very least, they owe us a full explanation for how they thought it was so clear that the play needed to be overturned (it's not like it was a meaningless goal or anything, the point or two it cost us in the standings could be very important).

Edited by iamtheprodigy

Really? And you know this, how? Did you ask him?

Let me just settle this now: if you believe in your heart that Parise distinctly kicked at the puck, then fine. I'm not going to convince you otherwise even though I completely disagree. My problem with this ruling is that the NHL defended the decision by citing only half of the actual rule, without explaining why THEY believe that there was a distinct kicking motion. Whether or not you agree with the decision, if you're a fan of the Devils, I don't see how you could NOT be bothered by the NHL's vague and hastily-prepared defense of the ruling. At the very least, they owe us a full explanation for how they thought it was so clear that the play needed to be overturned (it's not like it was a meaningless goal or anything, the point or two it cost us in the standings could be very important).

Damn straight, and the league shouldn't be let off the hook until they give a full explanation. This half-assed enforcing of rules sh!t is unacceptable, and was a problem long before today.

Sorry, but you're wrong. A puck can go in legally off a skate. What Parise did was not against the rules, and as had been mentioned, the NHL has let far worse slide this season and in seasons past. This is especially jarring because the on-ice official ruled it a good goal. Normally, the video room decides against on-ice calls only in blatant instances where the call on the ice was wrong. This was, at the VERY MOST, a borderline case, which makes the NHL overruling the on-ice official that much more grievous.

Start to finish? Turning the puck over 10-15 feet in front of the net, on the PP, with no one behind you, is start to finish?

He had a good read on Larsson's goal. Otherwise he didn't do much and the stuff that happened in the 3rd could erase a ton of goodwill, fast.

Not to mention being a baby late in the third period and rolling around on the ice like he was a soccer player. I was so ticked at him for his ten millionth careless stickhandling giveaway on the power play I didn't even get pissed at that, though in many ways it was even worse than the actual giveaway. Having to kill off a needless penalty in the final minutes down a goal was asinine. Hell I was so pissed at Kovy, I'm still more pissed at him than I am at Toronto for THEIR obvious double-standard when it comes to us and their own rules.

Kovalchuk's Thanksgiving Video goes down as one of my favorite moments as a fan. Totally hilarious and awful timing.

Really would have been hilarious without the tease. I guess the upside is that they somehow won 2 out of these 3 games. :lol:

Grabner could have scored a season's worth of goals this afternoon.

I'm amazed we booed anyone still in the uniform, hell we didn't even boo Rolston.

This series of three games worries me. I'm tired of people saying a win's a win, this three game stretch proves something I've felt for a while...we have the best goaltending tandem in the league and are bottom third in the other two phases of the game (offense and defense). We're only going to go as far as Marty, Moose, a resurgent Elias and the skills competition takes us. At least until the $100 million man gets it going or the captain sheds his shadow (Kovy) and gets it going. And I'm not sure the $100 million man will ever get it going unless we surgically implant Lemaire in his ear.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm amazed we booed anyone still in the uniform, hell we didn't even boo Rolston.

This series of three games worries me. I'm tired of people saying a win's a win, this three game stretch proves something I've felt for a while...we have the best goaltending tandem in the league and are bottom third in the other two phases of the game (offense and defense). We're only going to go as far as Marty, Moose, a resurgent Elias and the skills competition takes us. At least until the $100 million man gets it going or the captain sheds his shadow (Kovy) and gets it going. And I'm not sure the $100 million man will ever get it going unless we surgically implant Lemaire in his ear.

Meh. Parise is coming off a major injury and Kovy is slumping. Players of their caliber don't stay like this for long, they'll both pick it up sooner rather than later. Don't forget Zajac is back very soon which will also change our forward lines drastically.

As for defense, I feel that we're fine, but for whatever reason we're having a lot of mental lapses this year which lead to odd-man rushes and breakaways. However, this isn't a fundamental problem, and I think with some time and patience, it will straighten itself out.