Photo

It has been awhile...(2013 Starting Roster Discussion)

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#121 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Fixed.

I trust Lou, and expect us to have a team by the playoffs, but right now, we have about 5 top 6 and 7 top 9 players.

Yeah, but will that team get us to the playoffs by the time the playoffs start.
Carolina, Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, they're totally going to be nipping at a playoff berth and their offenses aren't anything to sneeze at.

#122 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Rolston :icon23:

#123 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Although injury prone, Hemsky would be a great addition for our team and I can see him work great with Elias.

#124 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

No thanks to Hemsky. We've already got Jacob (Glass) Josefson.

#125 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Although injury prone, Hemsky would be a great addition for our team and I can see him work great with Elias.

Didn't he just re-sign with EDM? I doubt they would trade him now if they didn't do it at the deadline. I'll check my facts quick.

EDIT:
http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ers-hemsky.html
Feb 2012 he signed a 2 year extension with the Oilers

Edited by NJDevils1214, 07 January 2013 - 09:28 PM.

815631765.gif

#126 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Didn't he just re-sign with EDM? I doubt they would trade him now if they didn't do it at the deadline. I'll check my facts quick.

Im not sure, I was just responding to the previous poster saying he would fit great on our team for obvious reasons, but he is indeed prone to injuries.

Edited by Zubie#8, 07 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,735 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I don't think they will move any of their big time forwards. I wouldn't mind seeing Paajarvi here though - I don't think he'll ever be a big-time scorer at the NHL level or anything, but if given the proper teaching he could be a dynamite 2nd/3rd line guy in the David Booth mold.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I don't think they will move any of their big time forwards. I wouldn't mind seeing Paajarvi here though - I don't think he'll ever be a big-time scorer at the NHL level or anything, but if given the proper teaching he could be a dynamite 2nd/3rd line guy in the David Booth mold.

Completely forgot about Paajarvi. The kid is fast as hell and would look good with proper linemates. That is intriguing as well. Many teams will be looking to improve their defense so the Devils are in a good position. Oilers Senators Islanders Lightning Red Wings are just a few off the top of my head.

#129 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

bernier just doesnt have the speed but he is an ideal 4th liner with his combo of grit and skill

#130 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,614 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

I don't think it's that crazy to see Butler on a line with Kovalchuk and Zajac - Vasyunov and Palmieri both were thrown into that role.

I would definitely mind something like that. Too many old guys and too many new guys.
The second line of Elias-Zubrus-Sykora would be tought to watch as the season wore on.

My thinking behind that line is to just fill out the roster until Henrique comes back. With the shortage of wingers (especially since Tedenby doesn't look well) they have to do something. Right now they look like:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
x-Elias-Zubrus
Carter-Josefson-Clarkson
Barch/Janssen-Gionta-Bernier
(Assuming no call ups such as Pesonen, Zalewski, etc.)

I don't think getting Sykora on a cheap deal is the worst option. It isn't ideal but assuming they don't trade any of the surplus Dmen, they're going to have to find a way to fill the spot.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#131 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Tedenby is very close to officially becoming a bust...just my opinion

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#132 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

So what does the team look like without Kovalchuk (sarcasm) (kinda)

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#133 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

So what does the team look like without Kovalchuk (sarcasm) (kinda)

The kind of team playing for the #1 overall draft pick in the 2013 Entry Draft this July at Prudential Center.
Posted Image

#134 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think I will feel a whole lot better when Kovy gets back to NJ from mother Russia...I always have this fear that Putin will decide he is to valuable to the state to allow to the return to the US =-/

#135 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Is Sharky still in the Devils system? I wouldn't mind seeing him play some third/fourth line minutes.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#136 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

A Tedenby-Josefson-Butler line would look amazing. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit here, but I think Josefson's at the level now that he can make a guy like Tedenby or Butler better around him. Curious to see what kind of year he has!!

#137 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,569 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Is Sharky still in the Devils system? I wouldn't mind seeing him play some third/fourth line minutes.

He is but the Devils gave him permission last year to play this whole season in Russia, so I don't think he will be back this season.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#138 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

A Tedenby-Josefson-Butler line would look amazing. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit here, but I think Josefson's at the level now that he can make a guy like Tedenby or Butler better around him. Curious to see what kind of year he has!!

Like many others have said this will prob be make or break year for Tedenby. However I honestly do not see him making it.

#139 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...ature/?id=79370

Last Season

The Devils were an all but forgotten team in the Atlantic heading into last season, but hung tough all year and finished sixth in the Eastern Conference.
And that's when the real fun started. New Jersey knocked off the Panthers, Flyers, and Rangers to reach the Stanley Cup Final before falling to the Los Angeles Kings.
The summer was not nearly as kind to the Devils, however. With ownership questions still prevalent, New Jersey lost top forward Zach Parise to an exorbitant free agent deal.
The question in Jersey now is how to replace Parise's productivity and leadership and whether they can do it before the window closes on their veterans - namely goalie Martin Brodeur.

#140 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I will make this pledge. I will not bitch about dressing 1 goon - this is the unfortunate way of the NHL, that even though having a goon doesn't seem to make any sense at all, teams have decided they need one.

I will however bitch about players like Tim Sestito ever being on the roster. Or Brad Mills. Stephen Gionta I barely tolerate. These players do not belong in the NHL and turn a 4th line into a sinkhole. I will also not tolerate 2 goons being dressed unless the other team does same.

The 4th line didn't score a goal until like, game 78 last year. They weren't on ice for One. Goal. That's totally unacceptable, and it's basically happened 2 years in a row now. It's hard and maybe undesirable to have a great 4th line, but you can definitely do better than New Jersey's done. Rod Pelley was a minimum salary player and was bad, but so was Dean McAmmond and McAmmond was great.

Excuse me, but I do believe that Janssen accidentally assisted on a Sykora goal earlier than game 78. However, I don't recall the rest of the 4th line being present on the ice at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users