Pre-GDT: Devils @ Flyers

Colin226

I did not see the game so I can't comment on specifics, but isn't D zone coverage pretty damn important for a defensman? And not to just pick out this post, I've seen it elsewhere on this board glossing over a defensman's defensive skill while talking about how well they played on the point(might have been in the retire nieds number thread pointing to better defenders during his day in which many of the ones mentinoned were horrid in their own zone, unlike Scotty Niedermayer) Sure, 2 way defensman are great, but you have to be reliable in your own zone.

Maybe it's just bad flashbacks of phil housley

2 things:

First, yes, of course, d zone coverage is important. However, there are certain types of d-men (Mark Fraser being one of them) who have no potential at all to be good outside their own zone. Seeing Corrente take chances and do well with them, and looking over his career numbers, the kid's more than just a guy who can punish people in the defensive zone - he's got some puck skills as well. I expect his D zone play to come along (if it doesn't, he won't stick at this level) but you can't really teach offense.

Second, if this year is anything like the previous year, I expect if Corrente is in the NHL this season, he will get heavily sheltered minutes, against the bottom lines of other teams, and typically starting his shift in the neutral or offensive zone. So I don't expect his d zone coverage to be immaculate, but that that will come along in time, and until then, he'll get easy matchups. Rarely do players just slide in at the NHL level.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully you aren't on the Kaberle bandwagon. I seem to remember that that Paul Coffey guy was pretty lousy in the defensive end too.

"Defensemen" like Paul Coffey pissed me off - might as well send out an extra winger and call him a defensemen.

What was Greene in the NHL before last season? I can remember loads of people moaning when he was announced in the lineup before the start of games in '09.. I'm happy he had a great season last year but I have no high expectations for him.. For all we know it could have been the greatest season of his career.. I think we're all too quick to assume he's going to be this good for years to come.. We shall see

on the fantasy baseball site I use they have a mantra(for lack of a better word) 'Once a player displays a skill, he owns it'. Greene is still young enough where I would hope he hasn't had his career year.

Will he be the most consistant defensman on the team next year(like I thought he was last year)? Probably not, mainly becasue the quality of D on this team has been majory upgraded.

Can he up his game some more with another full year of experience/confidence? I don't see why not.

Do I expect all star play(it is Green where people mention that he's been an all star at all levels he's played, right?)? no. I do expect him out there in important minutes, being an asset in all zones of the ice. A quality, but not flashy, 2 way defender.

Joe

I don't think "good" is going out of the way crazy for Greene. I think Greene is probably a good 3/4 type defenseman in the NHL and last night he played like an AHLer.

No I agree.. I wasn't going after his particular rating by you so much as the general perception by people on here that he damn well should be a top defenseman like he was last year and continue to be a very good Martin replacement.. I just don't want to get my hopes up

Second, if this year is anything like the previous year, I expect if Corrente is in the NHL this season, he will get heavily sheltered minutes, against the bottom lines of other teams, and typically starting his shift in the neutral or offensive zone. So I don't expect his d zone coverage to be immaculate, but that that will come along in time, and until then, he'll get easy matchups. Rarely do players just slide in at the NHL level.

basically frasers minutes from last year.

Fraser just doesn't do it for me. If there isn't big improvment from last year I don't think he lasts long in the orginization.

I like Corrente I was just pointing out that you glossed over the defensive zone coverage too easily. It said alot to me that Lemaire was willing to play him as a defensive forward on more then one occsaion last year. I rather him getting top pairing ice time in the AHL instead of sitting 2 outta 3 games in the nhl becasue of his potential.

I can't wait to see Urbom with my own eyes though. He has top pairing written all over him(A-train and U-bomb in 3 years?)).

and no, I was never in favor of trading for Kaberle.

Andy Greene's best season 09-10 6G 31A in 73 games

Paul Martin's best season 05-06 5G 32A in 80 games

Fine, but then lets compare consistency over seasons.

PM is fairly consistent playing top minutes for years now.

AG has yet to prove that beyond one season.

I hope he can do that with his play this year.