GDT 10/7/14: THE NJ DEVILS @ Philadelphia 7PM

Onddeck

I get that Salvador looks like a pylon at times but it's getting to the point where people are trying to find ways to knock him. His numbers at ES last night were fine, especially considering his team low 38% zone starts.

Salvador will have plenty of games where he stinks and the criticism is justified, but he was actually decent last night (and we won) and people are already killing him.

I agree except for that Simmons goal. I thought Sal should have been able to hold him off. Other than that, though, yeah he'll have better and worse games

As much as I dont want to jump on Sal after only one game, he was noticable on some goals against. The 3v2 may have never happened if the F's didnt turn the puck over or if they backchacked properly (I havent watched a replay), but his man along the wall was not a threat to score, even with the puck. There is no reason to close the gap and leave your D partner out to dry like that. 2v1 favors the offense far more than 3v2 does. When battling in front, he needs to worry about Simmond's stick, not pushing him in the chest. He was good in the 2012 playoffs and he's defnitely a tough, tough defenseman...but the grains of sand are running thin in his hourglass.

As much as I dont want to jump on Sal after only one game, he was noticable on some goals against. The 3v2 may have never happened if the F's didnt turn the puck over or if they backchacked properly (I havent watched a replay), but his man along the wall was not a threat to score, even with the puck. There is no reason to close the gap and leave your D partner out to dry like that. 2v1 favors the offense far more than 3v2 does. When battling in front, he needs to worry about Simmond's stick, not pushing him in the chest. He was good in the 2012 playoffs and he's defnitely a tough, tough defenseman...but the grains of sand are running thin in his hourglass.

no doubt he's on his last legs. My problem is that it seems like him having the C puts a bigger target on him amongst fans.

An unbiased look last night shows that he had a better game than Andy Greene, but because he's the captain, older, slower and apparently still taking a spot away from our young guys, he sucks no matter how well he plays.

Zubie played well, nice fake pass shoot shortside

Severson only looked rattled for a moment at the last shift, but so did some vets lol.. couldnt tell he was a rookie

lets not trade larsson , sal will have an undisclosed illness soon

Luke schenn a -5 BWAHHH

Huge goal by Zubes, but that was not an intended fake, that was the I was gonna pass it and had no lane, sh!t, I better shoot it goal. Overall he looked better than he has. Pulling for him to elevate his game.

An unbiased look last night shows that he had a better game than Andy Greene, but because he's the captain, older, slower and apparently still taking a spot away from our young guys, he sucks no matter how well he plays.

What supports your observation of him having a better game than Greene?

Edited by hystyk28

And another power play chance where the Flyer to the side of the net took the pass (we gave them that space a lot last year too, to trade off getting into the shooting lane) and had time to swivel around, get a shot on Schneider and stuff it 4 quick times until Salvador barreled into him from behind.

Schneider was in absolute perfect position; what's scary is that you can see in the replay that Salvador would've kicked it in if Schneider wasn't fully extended in a 90% split like that. It hits Sal's skate, goes off the edge of Schneider's pads, Salvador knocks the Flyer down, falls down himself, and lands on Cory's left leg. Too much weight landing on his lower leg when he's fully extended like that could put Cory out with an injury for 3-4 months.

There are too many scrambles like this when Salvador's on the ice (and Zidlicky, but his upside is obviously his offense). Don't confuse there being no goal there with "Salvador doing his job correctly". Too many damn scrambles, and falling behind in speed and panicky clearances, etc... in ways you almost never see Merrill and Greene (or even Severson last night) having to do. Salvador "saving the day" like that is a direct result of Zidlicky/Salvador line's play/speed passively enabling the play to happen.

Edited by DJ Eco

Watched the game after work last night (timezone difference), and the end of the second period was just horrible.

Things that stood out to me throughout the game was Zidlicky's constant turnovers. There was a sequence of plays in the span of 30 seconds where he just turned it over 2 or 3 times in the defensive end.

Also, the team has to stop doing blind passes, absolutely not a good idea and cost the team in turnovers.

Didn't concentrate on Sal at all so didn't see what he did wrong, Zidlicky stood out to me as being horrible.

I won't knock a first game win considering how we started last season, so I'm just glad we walked away with the win, rather than giving up a loss after scoring 3-0.

Edited by newjerseydamo

Watched the game after work last night (timezone difference), and the end of the second quarter was just horrible.

Things that stood out to me throughout the game was Zidlicky's constant turnovers. There was a sequence of plays in the span of 30 seconds where he just turned it over 2 or 3 times in the defensive end.

Also, the team has to stop doing blind passes, absolutely not a good idea and cost the team in turnovers.

Didn't concentrate on Sal at all so didn't see what he did wrong, Zidlicky stood out to me as being horrible.

I won't knock a first game win considering how we started last season, so I'm just glad we walked away with the win, rather than giving up a loss after scoring 3-0.

I was made because none of the offsides resulted in a 5 yard penalty.

I was made because none of the offsides resulted in a 5 yard penalty.

Really? I know it's periods, I'm not sure why I typed quarter, but your smart ass response isn't needed.

And it's mad not made, see, even you aren't perfect.

Edited by newjerseydamo

I'm in favor of replacing Salvador in any way.

A team once decided they would rather have Cam Janssen. That says it all.

From what I remember that was a salary dump for St Louis and also a great trade. While Sal sucks now, he was fine then. Definitely one of LL's better "add a no name defenseman at the deadline" deals.

From what I remember that was a salary dump for St Louis and also a great trade. While Sal sucks now, he was fine then. Definitely one of LL's better "add a no name defenseman at the deadline" deals.

Yeah, salary dump plus Sal was approaching free agency and they had to sign Jackman. Jackman was the one in all the rumors that trade deadline.