GDT 12/10/10 New Jersey Devils @ Ottawa

ZeroGravityFat

I still can't believe Clarkson didn't even tip that puck when he swung at it after the "kick". I just don't get it with that guy, he has no hands, he has to be the worst skater in the NHL and he doesn't seem to have much hockey sense. It's actually pretty amazing he's been as productive as has in his career. It's even more amazing that Lou gave this guy the contract that he did. I believe we need to keep Arnott and Langenbrunner until the trade deadline because a lot of teams will want those 2 for a playoff run but if we can find a taker for Clarkson, I would move him right away.

On a side note, I think we'll see Brodeur again tonight. He looked a little rusty last night so I think he'll want to get back in there. On both the 2nd and 3rd goal, he was down early and got his shoulders turned away from the puck. With 3 days rest coming up, there's no reason not to play him.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe Clarkson didn't even tip that puck when he swung at it after the "kick". I just don't get it with that guy, he has no hands, he has to be the worst skater in the NHL and he doesn't seem to have much hockey sense. It's actually pretty amazing he's been as productive as has in his career. It's even more amazing that Lou gave this guy the contract that he did. I believe we need to keep Arnott and Langenbrunner until the trade deadline because a lot of teams will want those 2 for a playoff run but if we can find a taker for Clarkson, I would move him right away.

On a side note, I think we'll see Brodeur again tonight. He looked a little rusty last night so I think he'll want to get back in there. On both the 2nd and 3rd goal, he was down early and got his shoulders turned away from the puck. With 3 days rest coming up, there's no reason not to play him.

to be fair, clarkson's stick was tied up, you know, like real defenseman do, unlike ours who dont make contact unless its a cross-check, trip or a hook

You know what's funny? I just watched NHL on the FLY on NHL network and not one second of discussion about the clarkson kicking goal controversy during the game recap. Boy does this league really turn a blind eye with bad calls lmao. Puts things into perspective how much bullsh!t runs behind the scenes.

They brought it up very briefly in the second half of On the Fly when they went through all of the games a second time.

After watching the last few games in full, and in repeat, the problem for this team is all at the back. We don't create scoring chances because we cant move the puck up the ice. We cannot break out.

It was horrific last night! The slightest bit of pressure on the puck carrier resulted in a rushed pass and we lost possesion. Its very telling that our PP is now working with 5 forward. The reaseon is because they can rush the puck up the ice and create space. Elias, and Kovy can start something, none of the D men got anything going.

We miss Paul Martin more than anyone seems willing to admit.

If we could make one trade i would try and get someone who can move the puck from the back end, and you will see an instant improvement.

After watching the last few games in full, and in repeat, the problem for this team is all at the back. We don't create scoring chances because we cant move the puck up the ice. We cannot break out.

It was horrific last night! The slightest bit of pressure on the puck carrier resulted in a rushed pass and we lost possesion. Its very telling that our PP is now working with 5 forward. The reaseon is because they can rush the puck up the ice and create space. Elias, and Kovy can start something, none of the D men got anything going.

If we could make one trade i would try and get someone who can move the puck from the back end, and you will see an instant improvement.

It's hard to believe that a puck moving defenseman will be a big improvement to this team but after watching the game last night it is a big concern, I agree it is one of the problems but right now there are so many, One of them is Clarkson (can he just stand on skates for one shift without falling down) and It seems like Marty is our best person right now for a break out pass.

Is anyone else still feeling really down after last night? I mean, I know this season has been a complete mind f*ck and nothing has gone right but did anyone else get the feeling with the PP somehow clicking and the increased intensity at the end that we were going to tie the game? Even though the game as a whole wasn't good I still smelled a point and to get none, and the way that it was taken from us is really devastating. Like Clarkson said himself, in order to deliberately kick the puck, wouldn't he have had to lift his foot off the ice a bit? If you watch that clip in real time, there is no way he could have intentionally done that with his skate in the split second he had. He is not talented enough to purposely put that in and make it look accidental. Absolute horrible call. What is the point of 10 guys in a "war room" in Toronto if they can't even interpret their own rules and make a simple call?

The defense is laughable. I was nearly jumping for joy when White connected on a crisp first pass last night! And surprise surprise, the Devils created a rush up the ice from it. I said it yesterday and as sad as it is, Martin Brodeur actually possesses a better first pass then any of the d-men on this team.

The defense needs to be nearly completely overhauled, there is just no way around it. Volchenkov is a really nice piece and Colin White is still a very good defenseman. Tallinder has had a difficult season this year and it would be nice to cut his contract from the books but he is not going anywhere. That's ok though because he is better then what he has shown. When the team finally has some stabilized pairings back there, he'll be much more consistent.

As for Paul Martin, you have to remember that he wasn't really with the team last year and they managed pretty well without him. What really stands out to me is that they lost a lot of toughness and steady play with Salvador, every game that passes by you realize more and more how much of a bargain Mike Mottau was and Andy Greene has essentially regressed to a soft like butter and mistake prone, not ready for the show rookie.

The defense is laughable. I was nearly jumping for joy when White connected on a crisp first pass last night! And surprise surprise, the Devils created a rush up the ice from it. I said it yesterday and as sad as it is, Martin Brodeur actually possesses a better first pass then any of the d-men on this team.

The defense needs to be nearly completely overhauled, there is just no way around it. Volchenkov is a really nice piece and Colin White is still a very good defenseman. Tallinder has had a difficult season this year and it would be nice to cut his contract from the books but he is not going anywhere. That's ok though because he is better then what he has shown. When the team finally has some stabilized pairings back there, he'll be much more consistent.

As for Paul Martin, you have to remember that he wasn't really with the team last year and they managed pretty well without him. What really stands out to me is that they lost a lot of toughness and steady play with Salvador, every game that passes by you realize more and more how much of a bargain Mike Mottau was and Andy Greene has essentially regressed to a soft like butter and mistake prone, not ready for the show rookie.

On the bright side for the D I like the way Tao has played and feel he could help us a little when he gets back of IR. At least he can make a pass and he has proved he can hit the net from the point!

Does anyone know when he is suppose to be back, approx???

On the bright side for the D I like the way Tao has played and feel he could help us a little when he gets back of IR. At least he can make a pass and he has proved he can hit the net from the point!

Does anyone know when he is suppose to be back, approx???

Tao showed some promise while he was up here but I'm not going to put too much stock into him. He was kind of a train wreck in his own end at times, but to be fair, this was his first crack at NHL level play. I don't know, I just fear Andy Greene 2.0 with Tao. He has the opportunity to be a better player but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's just been so long since we had a top tier defense. Last year they allowed the fewest goals in the league and they were serviceable for sure, but you need more to actually win when spring time rolls around. Starting with losing Stevens in 04, the defense has just been picked apart year after year after year and this is what we are left with now. Trash.

It's hard to believe that a puck moving defenseman will be a big improvement to this team but after watching the game last night it is a big concern, I agree it is one of the problems but right now there are so many, One of them is Clarkson (can he just stand on skates for one shift without falling down) and It seems like Marty is our best person right now for a break out pass.

After watching i genuinly think it will. We don't even need someone overly good in their own end, they just need to be able to make a good first pass. Clarkson has been poor, but at the same time he isn't killing the team. He is really the least of our problems. I do agree theough he is possibly the poorest skater i have ever seen grace the NHL, he also seems to be very weak on the puck always losing the physical battles. But again least of our problems.

Telling that Brodeur has more or the same amount as points as:

Rod Pelly

Colin White

Anton Volchenkov

Stephen Gionta

Adam Mair

Oliver Magnan

Mark Fayne

Mark Fraser

We have a really good group of stay at home guys, but nothing going forward. White, Volchenkov and tallinder are all solid. We basically have half a D. I am still convinced Greene should be second or third pairing. We are two D men short of haveing a solid unit.