#1 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/sp.../#id=2241810018
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#2 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

His daughter screaming goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, at the tv is hilariously awesome.

#3 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

I didn't realize he was so close to signing with the Rangers.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#4 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I didn't realize he was so close to signing with the Rangers.

me neither....that wouldve been terrible
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#5 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Cool thanks for posting.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#6 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

me neither....that wouldve been terrible

I also don't remember hearing anything about that either. Odd.

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,491 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

I also don't remember hearing anything about that either. Odd.

Holik mentioned it in one of his podcasts at holikonhockey, and I am pretty sure when he signed that the interested teams were listed as the Rangers, Blackhawks, and Canadiens.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#8 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Will always be my favorite Devil. Signing with the Rags would've been horrible. Good thing he stayed...hopefully he can get things going and give us a shot at winning this thing.
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#9 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Holik mentioned it in one of his podcasts at holikonhockey, and I am pretty sure when he signed that the interested teams were listed as the Rangers, Blackhawks, and Canadiens.

I knew that the Rangers made him a huge offer, but I didn't realize that he had all but agreed to it before changing his mind and deciding to return to NJ. The fact that the Rangers were pursuing him was public knowledge. The fact he almost signed with them is new.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#10 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Who's Patrick Elias?!?!?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#11 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I knew that the Rangers made him a huge offer, but I didn't realize that he had all but agreed to it before changing his mind and deciding to return to NJ. The fact that the Rangers were pursuing him was public knowledge. The fact he almost signed with them is new.

I wish they said what the "snafu" was... or if it was just what is reported Lou does (ie go to free agency, see what you can get, and give the opportunity to match or pass).

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've heard that the Devils essentially matched what the Rangers were offering. I think the Devils gave him slightly more total money and an extra year above what the Rangers offered.

Hopefully that's what happens with Parise if the Rags decide to stick their snout out of the ground.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#13 Deke

Deke

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Elias would have flamed out and been out of the league by now if he went to the Rangers that year.
Go Carp, go!
Salmonbellies rule!
Hit 'em harder cops!
But a hockey team called the Mighty Ducks?
Aw, man.

#14 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

One of the best Devils ever.

Hope he has a big game tonight!

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#15 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Who's Patrick Elias?!?!?

Good question. Maybe he's related to Zack Parise? :giggle:

n2eg.jpg

#16 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,029 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I don't know about all but agreeing to it. I still think he was using the Rangers to drive up the price from the Devils (and get the NMC).
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#17 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I think I remember reading something about the no movement clause being the kicker...not so much that he said the Rags wouldn't give it to him but rather the Devils did...
'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#18 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:22 AM

I think I remember reading something about the no movement clause being the kicker...not so much that he said the Rags wouldn't give it to him but rather the Devils did...

Yeah I remember him mentioning during a postgame interview the following season that the no-movement clause was the deciding factor between the Devils and Rangers. He's one of my favorite players but when I think of him I always have this thought in the back of my mind that he was so close to signing with them.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users