Canadians Tell Gomez to Stay Home

NJDevils1214

So many Devils saying how bad our bottom 6 is, like they weren't one of the main reasons we went far in the playoffs last year? You guys are delusional...

I have more faith in the bottom 2 lines to be our shining star early this season than I do in our top 2 (without Parise) to figure out the chemistry, especially with Josefson/Butler/possibly Tedenby in play.

The Habs can benefit, as the Rags will as well, by eliminating the contract they are buying out --- because there is a 50-contract limit per team....

Another benefit is that since this year's buyout is being pro-rated, the buyout is less than half the contact's value.

So instead of paying out 2/3 of the contract for two years, instead they will pay 1/2 this year & 2/3 next year & also be able to sign another player this year and remain under the 50-contact limit

So many Devils saying how bad our bottom 6 is, like they weren't one of the main reasons we went far in the playoffs last year? You guys are delusional...

I have more faith in the bottom 2 lines to be our shining star early this season than I do in our top 2 (without Parise) to figure out the chemistry, especially with Josefson/Butler/possibly Tedenby in play.

Both can be true. Carter-Gionta-Bernier was massively outshot in the playoffs. And that's just Carter-Gionta-Bernier - imagine one of those guys missing and a goon like Janssen or Barch in his place. Now granted DeBoer left that Gionta line out against difficult matchups, but I expect that 4th line to get beat soundly during the regular season. And that's if the team stays healthy - god forbid there's injuries and we see the horrendous Tim Sestito up.

Both can be true. Carter-Gionta-Bernier was massively outshot in the playoffs. And that's just Carter-Gionta-Bernier - imagine one of those guys missing and a goon like Janssen or Barch in his place. Now granted DeBoer left that Gionta line out against difficult matchups, but I expect that 4th line to get beat soundly during the regular season. And that's if the team stays healthy - god forbid there's injuries and we see the horrendous Tim Sestito up.

While it may be true that they were outshot (and that's never good in the long term), they were a combined +11 in the playoffs, and that includes all of them carrying a - for the SCF. In your terms, I would agree that they don't "drive play", but I'd love to see a true 4th line that does. As a coach, I wouldn't count on them to be quite as productive this year, but they're also a step above the Cams and KB's of the league without question. Not to mention that Carter and Bernier have a physical aspect to their games if necessary.

But the bottom 6 won't be the same as last year. Nor will the top 6. How are we delusional?

But the bottom 6 won't be the same as last year. Nor will the top 6. How are we delusional?

Yeah, I guess "delusional" isn't the word I meant to say; maybe prematurely judgmental? We're already counting our 3rd and 4th lines as ineffective when in fact they are what ended up making us stand out against our divisional rivals in the playoffs. I'm still confident, with the players we have, that AS A WHOLE 4 off/3 def line unit, the Flyers and Rangers don't match up well against us this season, and as we saw last year that's a pretty good measuring stick for the rest of the league.

Edited by DJ Eco

Yeah, I guess "delusional" isn't the word I meant to say; maybe prematurely judgmental? We're already counting our 3rd and 4th lines as ineffective when in fact they are what ended up making us stand out against our divisional rivals in the playoffs. I'm still confident, with the players we have, that AS A WHOLE 4 off/3 def line unit, the Flyers and Rangers don't match up well against us this season, and as we saw last year that's a pretty good measuring stick for the rest of the league.

Understandable, but this is pretty much counting on catching lightning in a bottle two years in a row. To me, the team is much different on the third line and also missing two guys who played top 6 minutes...3 if we're counting Henrique's injury. Parise out, Poni out, Sykora out...Butler, Barch, Matteau, Tedenby in? That's not a fair trade in my eyes.

And while the CBGB line was good, their numbers happened because Marty played lights out for 6 weeks straight. Relying on the roster, as it is, is to me hoping that several key things fall into place two years in a row.