The Lakewood River Rats?

rbdf

It's a good point Crasher, and it's something that needs to be seriously considered before making a move like that.

As for the Albany Shwerzer guy, if he's talking with another town/city, he may not want to tip his hand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I'm saying the point is FLAWED, and the Hawks management lives in the stone age for thinking so.... for every one fan "who will stay and watch at home" you are "risking" exposing people who've never seen the game in person to COUNTLESS others and yes you may lose some people early but in the LONG RUN you only hurt yoursrlf by not maximizing your exposure to the public

and in a few years an AHL or even ECHL team could produce some local Devil heroes and then those people may spill over and pay to see the big club who NEVER would have before

or at the worst you now have a new group of people buying Devils merchandise... which as we all know merchandising is where the true profits from the movie come from :)

They would probably get a UHL team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering there's already a UHL team about twenty miles north, I doubt it.

If the Rats were to leave (which I hope they don't), I would think Albany could at the very least swing an ECHL team. The Rats got pretty good attendance before they started to TOTALLY SUCK.

As for the Albany Shwerzer guy, if he's talking with another town/city, he may not want to tip his hand.

1.) He wouldn't be handling the negotiations anyway... at least I hope not. I don't know how his business skills are, but I've never been all that fond of him as a broadcaster.

2.) Often the team on the losing end of the deal is the last party to know. Just ask the Worcester IceCats.

I'm just waiting for Rowdy to toss some credit my way  :P

'K.

01546_PM_rRGB_i17126073932.jpg

:evil:

If the Rats were to leave (which I hope they don't), I would think Albany could at the very least swing an ECHL team.  The Rats got pretty good attendance before they started to TOTALLY SUCK.

Actually, with the Icehawks being right there (and I'm pretty sure it's more than 20 miles), that makes for an excellent built-in rivalry. Remember when the Adirondack Red Wings were still in the AHL?

I don't see the ECHL coming to Albany. That league is far too spread out as it is. Where's the closest opponent? Reading? Trenton?

We all knew this was coming, just a matter of when. Unfortunately, a lot of fans would be saying good riddance to the Devs as a parent team. I would agree with them only if Albany could swing another AHL affiliation, but that will never happen.

A UHL team wouldn't be so bad compared to the past 6 years of AHL hockey here. Like Rowdy said, it would make sense especially with Adirondack already in the league.

Here's what someone said on another board:

About equal distance from Philly or E. Rutherford, and only 35 miles from Trenton, where the Flyers have a pretty strong grip on things.  They don't have the land rights, and they aren't quite sure how they'll pay for it, but boy, it sounds like a good idea. 

I won't be holding my breath on this one.

Here's what someone said on another board:

About equal distance from Philly or E. Rutherford, and only 35 miles from Trenton, where the Flyers have a pretty strong grip on things.  They don't have the land rights, and they aren't quite sure how they'll pay for it, but boy, it sounds like a good idea. 

I won't be holding my breath on this one.

I don't think being that close to Trenton is a big deal. Filling the seats will not be a problem. That part of Lakewood is 10- 15 minutes from Brick. Brick is a huge hockey town. It's also 10- 15 minutes from Toms River. If The single A Blueclaws can get good attendace in the summer with the boardwalks and Great Adventure being open, then I think an AHL team would do really good if the tickets are priced right. There is nothing to do around here in the winter. Yeah, they don't have the land or money yet. If they could get those two things it would definatly be a good idea to move down here.

I don't think being that close to Trenton is a big deal. Filling the seats will not be a problem. That part of Lakewood is 10- 15 minutes from Brick. Brick is a huge hockey town. It's also 10- 15 minutes from Toms River. If The single A Blueclaws can get good attendace in the summer with the boardwalks and Great Adventure being open, then I think an AHL team would do really good if the tickets are priced right. There is nothing to do around here in the winter. Yeah, they don't have the land or money yet. If they could get those two things it would definatly be a good idea to move down here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not the problem. The problem is that the other teams already in the area might not allow an AHL team to be moved there.

If the Rats were to leave (which I hope they don't), I would think Albany could at the very least swing an ECHL team.  The Rats got pretty good attendance before they started to TOTALLY SUCK.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. How can anyone bitch about attendence after 5 dreadful seasons? I'm amazed they pull what they do. I go to Norfolk games which draw way less than Albany.

Albany needs to take care of itself. I always thought the titans would ask for entry into the ahl, and devs be the likely tenant.

Actually, with the Icehawks being right there (and I'm pretty sure it's more than 20 miles), that makes for an excellent built-in rivalry.  Remember when the Adirondack Red Wings were still in the AHL?

I don't see the ECHL coming to Albany.  That league is far too spread out as it is.  Where's the closest opponent?  Reading?  Trenton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Twenty miles was just off the top of my head, it's probably closer to forty, but Glens Falls is still just a short drive from Albany. And yes, the Red Wings made for a good rivalry, but how long did Adirondack last once the Rats moved in? IMHO, that's more than just a coincidence.

Yeah, the ECHL probably wouldn't do it, seeing as they're mainly a southeast league. I was thinking about levels of play and forgot to consider the regionalization of the minor leagues.

The AHL can certainly be successful in Albany, but they're going to struggle anywhere with a consistantly poor team (including Lakewood, once the novelty wears off). Which is why we're now seeing the Rats organization looking into other affiliations.

This is particularly troubling for me, seeing as the Rats are the reason I got into the Devils in the first place. :saddevil:

I'm sure they'll do just as well wherever they are..wait..ummmmmm :P