Trade Proposal (Devils and Blues)

Beetlebum

They just called up Jake Allen. If he continues to proves himself competent after some games I could see the Blues try and trade Elliot. Halak I think they are more confident in since his poor play has come with injury problems. I think it would take a serious overpayment for the Blues to trade Halak in-season in the middle of a playoff push.

The problem with adding Merrill is that if he decides to play for Michigan his senior year he can become a UFA. We hope he'll stay loyal to us after that but I don't see why another team would take that chance.

I'm gonna say the same thing I've said to everyone making this absolutely irrational and silly assumption. Name one player who took that path in the last 20 years, not counting Justin Schultz this year. Now thank me for showing you the light.

Um, does the name Mike Van Ryn mean anything to you?

No. I was 8 when he was drafted, but from the looks of his stats, we didn't miss much and one example certainly doesn't show that's even a likely scenario to be repeated. If you can find me about 10-20% of our picks doing that, then I'd be worried and even then, it'd still be an 80-90% chance he stays, a very good bet.

Tallinder has a no trade clause

Volchenkov has a no trade. Tally doesn't. According to capgeek the only defensemen on our roster with a NTC are Volchenkov and Zidlicky

All that said

Devils : Burlon, Josefson, and Tallinder

Blues : Stewart, and 4th

That seems more reasonable to me.

Well at the time we drafted him he was the more hyped player of that draft for us which as I recall included Scott Gomez. Granted he wound up not really developing well but I think that was as much his own fault as anyone else's. He certainly had talent, but he didn't think he could learn anything in the AHL which is why he took the career path he did.

I'm gonna say the same thing I've said to everyone making this absolutely irrational and silly assumption. Name one player who took that path in the last 20 years, not counting Justin Schultz this year. Now thank me for showing you the light.

You call it irrational, I call it realistic. The truth is he can become a UFA after his senior year at Michigan. Lou has been in contact with him the entire time and supports his decision to finish out school but we all know he has a hot head and trading him before he even gets the chance to play for us might not sit right with him. And what if he hates St. Louis or wherever we trade him to? Other GMs understandably won't want to take that risk. 

I think Zach leaving has given people a complex about free agents bolting as soon as they can.

Guys who won't play for a team after being drafted usually don't have contact with the GM, nor do they show up for things like prospect camps. Keep in mind Merrill was supposed to be a first rounder. Every team in the league passed on him, but the Devils liked the way he interviewed and thought he would grow out of his issues and took the chance on him.

I believe he even said at the draft he had a feeling that they would take him when he was still on the board for their pick.

I think Zach leaving has given people a complex about free agents bolting as soon as they can.

Guys who won't play for a team after being drafted usually don't have contact with the GM, nor do they show up for things like prospect camps. Keep in mind Merrill was supposed to be a first rounder. Every team in the league passed on him, but the Devils liked the way he interviewed and thought he would grow out of his issues and took the chance on him.

I believe he even said at the draft he had a feeling that they would take him when he was still on the board for their pick.

It's completely irrational. Just like all the people saying Trav was gonna sign in Winni and Clarky will surely go to Toronto next season, just like Elias is going to the KHL with Zubs next season, right everyone?

You cannot project rare events as probable just because they happened recently. If anything, it makes it even less likely to happen again, not more likely.....

It's completely irrational. Just like all the people saying Trav was gonna sign in Winni and Clarky will surely go to Toronto next season, just like Elias is going to the KHL with Zubs next season, right everyone?

You cannot project rare events as probable just because they happened recently. If anything, it makes it even less likely to happen again, not more likely.....

That's not how probability works especially if the events aren't dependent on one another.

That's not how probability works especially if the events aren't dependent on one another.

I realize that if I flip a coin 10 times and get heads ten times, it's still 50-50 that I get heads next time.

This isn't a coin toss though. This is reality and we're talking about a decision being made by a person. My point was more that if you were to see an anomalous spike in the data of players that choose not to sign with the team that drafted them, it would be safer to assume it will regress towards the mean eventually than it would be to assume it will keep going on it's trajectory during that anomaly.