GDT 7: Devils @ Senators aka first win of the season 730pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

That doesn't make everyone good, hell you could make the case it makes everyone mediocre, and the bad teams are truly bad.    I mean I don't know how you can take the last year of Minnesota Wild hockey and say they're "good".    They got off to a hot start in a short season and they've been "blah" ever since.

Because they have good forward depth, one of the best defensive pairings in the league, and a good goalie tandem. Minnesota is a good team. There are no bad teams in that division.

Because they have good forward depth, one of the best defensive pairings in the league, and a good goalie tandem. Minnesota is a good team. There are no bad teams in that division.

That doesn't mean they're all good and Minnesota is not good.    They're not bad either.   They're just there.   They're better than Winnipeg, though.

That doesn't make everyone good, hell you could make the case it makes everyone mediocre, and the bad teams are truly bad.    I mean I don't know how you can take the last year of Minnesota Wild hockey and say they're "good".    They got off to a hot start in a short season and they've been "blah" ever since.

The Wild are running over teams territorially, they look pretty fearsome.  Although I don't know why this discussion is being had here..

That was the worst game I've ever seen from Henrique. BRUTALLY slow and unskilled. The third Ottawa goal was all his doing, sloppy turnover and a pathetic back check. He looks woefully out of shape every shift, too.

I thought Teddy looked decent, good speed and energy.

Schneider HAS to be our no. 1

That was the worst game I've ever seen from Henrique. BRUTALLY slow and unskilled. The third Ottawa goal was all his doing, sloppy turnover and a pathetic back check. He looks woefully out of shape every shift, too.

I thought Teddy looked decent, good speed and energy.

Schneider HAS to be our no. 1

Henrique was our worst forward. He doesn't seem healthy. He's just not skating very well for some reason.

Whatever you say bud. The results speak for themselves.

You mean the 7 games worth of results, where Martin Brodeur has been handed 11 goals in 4 games and has been unable to win any of those games?

The offense sucks.  We knew that going in.  If you don't have a top line it's hard to score goals.  But if the goaltending is going to be this bad, the Devils don't have a chance.  Brodeur singlehandedly cost the Devils the game, and even Chico buried him tonight.

Edited by Triumph

Whatever you say bud. The results speak for themselves.

We are 7 games into the season. The Devils have looked in all aspects. They just haven't been at the same time. Games where they've looked good offensively, the defense let them down. Games where the defense looked good, the offense let them down. Tonight, the offense and defense looked good, but the goaltending was awful. Eventually everything will click at once. When that happens, the Devils will steam roll opponents. If you want a team that truly has shown no signs of life, look at the Flyers. That team has truly sucked.

Whoever thought signing Kovalchuk was a good idea cursed this team.

Vanderbeek?

This team won't be in NJ much longer at this rate.

I sure as hell won't support a team like this. Someone else can go spend all that money to watch this JV lose every night.

Not sure if serious......

The Devils could go 0-82 and I'd still support this team.  I am committed to this team!

Ready to start Pete Doboer watch?

This started already.

Edited by Mike Brown

I didn't get a chance to watch much of the game today, but was Tedenby really that bad? Was he creating anything at all offensively? I'm really rooting for him, but he can be really frustrating. I didn't see that big penalty that everyone is talking about.

But from what I did see: The Elias line looked pretty good. Henrique seemed to be playing better, too.

It's a frustrating loss, as far as I can tell from this thread, it may have been their best effort of the season so far.

He wasn't great, but not much happened with him on the ice, other than Marty giving up softies that Teddy had little to do with. First game in a long time etc. I want him to get another game or two before decisions are made.

I think patrik Elias sums up the game and the season as a whole perfectly:

“What can you say? We were awful because we’re losing?” Patrik Elias asked. “We’re not that bad. We’re not playing bad hockey. At certain times, yes, we make mistakes and maybe different guys need to play a little bit tighter, grind it out a little bit.

Gionta had a very solid game tonight so whyyyyy are we talking about this...AGAIN.

Apparently he was named the second star of the night.

Because the entire team sucked. Gionta just sucked a little less finally. He is still awful and Dipsh!t Deboer continues to play him on the PK and take face offs.

I wonder what goes through Marty's mind.  He must realize on *some* level that he is very far from what he used to be.

He probably knows he isn't playing well, but he also probably thinks he just needs more time and games to get into a groove.

Problem is, in his last 18 starts (dating back to March 25 last season), he's now put up an .878 save%, including an .865 mark this season.  That is brutal.  And as much as I'd LOVE to believe otherwise, I don't see any evidence that leads me to believe Marty's going to suddenly find his game again.   

Devils have allowed 384 shots in those 18 games (21.3 per game), so it's not like Marty's been getting peppered in that time either.  In the four games he's started this season, it's been higher (26 per game), but no one can make a case that Marty's played well. 

There's simply no excuse anymore...starting with Saturday's game, Schneider should be given the chance to run with the job...for at least the next 6 games (Game 7 is the back end of a back-to-back).  If DeBoer continues to split the games, then I'm sorry, he's doing a disservice to everyone involved.  When you haven't won one friggin' game and you're the ONLY team in the NHL that hasn't, you need to put the guy in net who gives you the best chance to win.  Everyone can see that that's Schneider. 

Based on Marty's age, and his inconsistent play over the last three seasons (some would say flat-out bad, but he HAS had good stretches too), I felt like he had to show very quickly that age and a whole lot of NHL games hadn't caught up to him, if he wanted to get half the games or more.  Clearly that hasn't happened.  From here, one of two things can happen:  Devils can acknowledge that Marty is never going to be anywhere near what he was (and at 41, there shouldn't be any shame in that for Marty...how many 41-year-old goalies are even playing?) and take care of the situation before the Devils have a Mark Messier disaster on their hands, or they can stubbornly ignore what pretty much EVERYONE else is seeing and keep throwing him out there, at everyone else's expense, including Marty's. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

He probably knows he isn't playing well, but he also probably thinks he just needs more time and games to get into a groove.

Problem is, in his last 18 starts (dating back to March 25 last season), he's now put up an .878 save%, including an .865 mark this season.  That is brutal.  And as much as I'd LOVE to believe otherwise, I don't see any evidence that leads me to believe Marty's going to suddenly find his game again.   

Devils have allowed 384 shots in those 18 games (21.3 per game), so it's not like Marty's been getting peppered in that time either.  In the four games he's started this season, it's been higher (26 per game), but no one can make a case that Marty's played well. 

There's simply no excuse anymore...starting with Saturday's game, Schneider should be given the chance to run with the job...for at least the next 6 games (Game 7 is the back end of a back-to-back).  If DeBoer continues to split the games, then I'm sorry, he's doing a disservice to everyone involved.  When you haven't won one friggin' game and you're the ONLY team in the NHL that hasn't, you need to put the guy in net who gives you the best chance to win.  Everyone can see that that's Schneider. 

Based on Marty's age, and his inconsistent play over the last three seasons (some would say flat-out bad, but he HAS had good stretches too), I felt like he had to show very quickly that age and a whole lot of NHL games hadn't caught up to him, if he wanted to get half the games or more.  Clearly that hasn't happened.  From here, one of two things can happen:  Devils can acknowledge that Marty is never going to be anywhere near what he was (and at 41, there shouldn't be any shame in that for Marty...how many 41-year-old goalies are even playing?) and take care of the situation before the Devils have a Mark Messier disaster on their hands, or they can stubbornly ignore what pretty much EVERYONE else is seeing and keep throwing him out there, at everyone else's expense, including Marty's. 

This is what really worries me. If he keeps playing in short stints he will blame his performance on that, if you give him a run in the team as the starter and he still doesn’t perform for a few games it will be, "I’m just finding my form" .

The mind-set he has, which has made him the incredible Goalie and athlete we have had the privilege of watching for so long, is probably going to be the thing that will hold him in the game to long.

Part of me hopes that he see Patrick Roy having success as a head coach in Colorado and he thinks " I could be a better head coach than Patrick, let’s get that going”.

This is what really worries me. If he keeps playing in short stints he will blame his performance on that, if you give him a run in the team as the starter and he still doesn’t perform for a few games it will be, "I’m just finding my form" .

The mind-set he has, which has made him the incredible Goalie and athlete we have had the privilege of watching for so long, is probably going to be the thing that will hold him in the game to long.

Part of me hopes that he see Patrick Roy having success as a head coach in Colorado and he thinks " I could be a better head coach than Patrick, let’s get that going”.

This is where it can ugly with the fading legends.  A lot of them can't differentiate what was and what is, and that puts their organization in the awkward position of having to do it for them. 

I am sure Marty still thinks he's got it in him to be the #1, and thinks he just needs time and starts.  And though I wouldn't be thrilled about it, if the team was scoring some goals and not having issues on a number of other fronts, I could see why the Devils might want to give Marty one last shot at being the #1, or the #1A to Schneider's #1B. 

But clearly, they can't do that...this team is already feeling some pressure, and when it's 2-0 before you can blink because your goalie isn't stopping stoppable shots, that "Here we go again" feeling starts coming up in a hurry.  When Marty was kind of a "meh" puck stopper during the regular season (from '98-'99 to '01-'02), his teammates always maintained that, when needed, he would still make the BIG saves, and as the '00 and '03 Cup runs showed, he could raise his game significantly, so even if his save% from those seasons (.906, .910, .906, .906...all below his career .913) weren't great on paper, his teammates still felt like they could count on him. 

And for those who are saying "Don't give up on Marty"...no one WANTS to give up on him, but this isn't 2005-06, where he started slowly and some misguided fans wanted to bail on him.  Like many have pointed out, the last three seasons for him have been inconsistent, and he is finally showing real signs of decline.  I've pointed out that he had that nice stretch of play as a 39 and 40-year-old to close out the 2011-12 season and playoffs.  Last season was pretty meh at best, and this season is looking like more of the same.  To Marty's credit, there have been times post 2004-2005 lockout where some people did want to give up on him, and he's fought back every time.  What he did in 2012 was terrific, it really was...kind of like his last stand against the aging process that sadly robs even the best players of their skills.  But who really thinks he has another fight like that left in him?  He has played 1429 games in the NHL.  No other goalie is even close to that (Roy is at 1276).  How many 41-year-old goalies in the NHL defy nature's ugly side?      

It's fine if fans want to root for him and hope for the best...I would never root AGAINST him...but as much as I've always been firmly in his corner, I can't just blindly believe in him anymore.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1