New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be

Settle down Beavis.

Let me explain this nice and slowly...

Lou knows on Monday night the league will void the contract. He knows this, doesn't tell Grossman or Kovalchuk, but instead goes ahead and has this press conference where Kovalchuk says things like ......

To be honest, I simply cannot see this as a possible scenario.

Today : Lou makes a quick statement that their position is the correct one and that there will be nothing else said. Grossman does the same, just a bit earlier. No freaking out by anyone, both sides in lock step. Unless Grossman goes off the f'ing handle in the next 12 hours, you have to assume they knew what they were getting into and everyone involved trusts the judgement of the HOF GM and is following his lead, and trusts everything will work out here. Like Kovy said, "This is team", and team has pulled together as one - the evidence is their silence.

You misunderstood. That was typical Lou-speak for "I am going to stay quiet and repeat 'status quo' until Bettman has his ass handed to him."

The union must represent its member and file a grievance. If the NHLPA does not advocate for the player in this case, then the association will collapse onto itself.

I think the NHL is doing this all for posturing. They will lose in the end.

Edited by BlueSkirt

To be honest, I simply cannot see this as a possible scenario.

Today : Lou makes a quick statement that their position is the correct one and that there will be nothing else said. Grossman does the same, just a bit earlier. No freaking out by anyone, both sides in lock step. Unless Grossman goes off the f'ing handle in the next 12 hours, you have to assume they knew what they were getting into and everyone involved trusts the judgement of the HOF GM and is following his lead, and trusts everything will work out here. Like Kovy said, "This is team", and team has pulled together as one - the evidence is their silence.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but the whole process has been so bizarre, that I'm not discounting anything.

As I've said before the ramifications are so dire that it is something that's at the back of mind, at least for purposes of a message board discussion.

huh, the trade & all that work to just walk away ?

Yeah! Didn't you read that article that said Lou and Bettman orchestrated this whole thing to teach greedy SOBs like Kovalchuk a lesson? That whole line gets me so distraught. I know it's dumb but it really bugs me.

I'd prefer Churchill, but thanks anyway...

I was looking for a video of the line, but couldn't find it. Wasn't meant as an insult, but more that you were being just a wee over the top.

EDIT: Maybe an audio clip would suffice.

My link

Edited by Daniel

The union must represent its member and file a grievance. If the NHLPA does not advocate for the player in this case, then the association will collapse onto itself.

I think the NHL is doing this all for posturing. They will lose in the end.

they could decide not to go to war, and say "look, you idiots, this is basically over 2 years and 500K cap space, figure it out yourselves."

Ugh what a mess. Looks like this is heading to arbitration. I really hope Lou can still proceed with the moves necessary to clear up the cap space, etc. If he waits until the final decision, it could be too late.

Doesn't matter. Even if Lou found a taker for Rolston, the league would just reject a salary dump on the grounds that it circumvents the cap.

As they could have done with allowing Jim Schoenfeld to get suspended without taking the league to court. When has saving people trouble ever been the Lamoriello way?

this could take months. kovalchuk could miss the beginning of the season. or, worse still, the nhlpa could leave them out in the cold and kovalchuk could go elsewhere.