Flyers sign Weber to offer sheet

ghdi

This post makes no sense. Your team plays in Newark NJ. Guess which city has a higher crime rate? Guess which city has a higher murder rate.

Sarcasm > eztarget's comprehension.

Bettman is known for having favorites.

This post makes no sense. Your team plays in Newark NJ. Guess which city has a higher crime rate? Guess which city has a higher murder rate.

His post was silly, but not for the reasons you state. What sports commissioner has any concerns for personal safety? None. With a minimal amount of security watching them, it's never an issue anywhere.

If anybody were to suggest "serious conspiratorial theories" (which is pretty much an oxymoron), the presumable candidates are: 1. Not wanting to fight this right before CBA talks heat up 2. Ties between Flyers ownership and league TV rights

It's kind of funny that people are suggesting conspiracy before any action is even taken in the first place. Preemptive Conspiracy Yelling :giggle:

Edited by Devils Dose

Not to play this stupid game but, according to city-data.com, Philly is a more violent city with a crime index of 567.7 to 544.1 (although Newark has slightly more murders)

I would take a mugging over being murdered anyday, but I would probably just take the murder than live in philly

Edited by Dadds

this is pissing me off a bit... the flyers are definitely a better with him, its not gonna hurt them that much either giving away 4 first round pick... would you trade 2 late first round picks for weber? im pretty sure i would. 4? i dont know but based on how young they are it wont hurt them for awhile and they will be better for sure, also better cause their youngster will just get better and better.

There doesn't need to be any conspiracy. The NHL is, after, an organization whose prime goal is to make money.

The Flyers, Rangers and Red Wings of the world will always get a bit more of advantage over the Devils and Predators of the world.

It's less conspiratorial than it is institutionalized.

Edited by CarpathianForest

His post was silly, but not for the reasons you state. What sports commissioner has any concerns for personal safety? None. With a minimal amount of security watching them, it's never an issue anywhere.

If anybody were to suggest "serious conspiratorial theories" (which is pretty much an oxymoron), the presumable candidates are: 1. Not wanting to fight this right before CBA talks heat up 2. Ties between Flyers ownership and league TV rights

It's kind of funny that people are suggesting conspiracy before any action is even taken in the first place. Preemptive Conspiracy Yelling :giggle:

I never said conspiracy, I said Bettman has favorites. If Phithy gets Weber and it violates the spirit of the CBA in some way and there is no penalty. It makes sense that Devils fans feel slighted. Make no mistake, Weber is really good. If the Flyers had not made a mistake in goal, we would have bigger problems.

If the cap is only in place for cost certainty, then VBK better get his $3M back, because the words "cost certainty" never appeared in any of the reasons given for why Kovy's contract was axed.

What? C'mon. VBK isn't getting his $3M back, it's a fine levied because the Devils circumvented the cap, as demonstrated by an arbitrator decided on by the NHL and NHLPA. The NHL would've had a tougher time proving circumvention on any of the other deals signed - they had a much easier case on this one.

$1 million contract and $13 million bonus each of the first four years.

• $4 million contract and $8 million bonus in fifth and sixth years.

• $6 million contract annually in seventh through 10th years.

• $3 million contract annually in 11th year.

• $1 million contract annually in 12th-14th years.

That is horrid -- so it's not circumvention because of the bonuses - but its laughable

There doesn't need to be any conspiracy. The NHL is, after, an organization whose prime goal is to make money.

The Flyers, Rangers and Red Wings of the world will always get a bit more of advantage over the Devils and Predators of the world.

It's less conspiratorial than it is institutionalized.

I never said conspiracy, I said Bettman has favorites. If Phithy gets Weber and it violates the spirit of the CBA in some way and there is no penalty. It makes sense that Devils fans feel slighted. Make no mistake, Weber is really good. If the Flyers had not made a mistake in goal, we would have bigger problems.

I'm lumping any considerations other than fair play under the "conspiratorial" label. Maybe that's not textbook definition, but the point is the same. If any decisions were to be made on the basis of "we just give certain teams more breaks while giving other teams a hard time" or "we're concerned that certain fan bases may express their outrage in dangerous ways" or "it's just better for business to punish this one and let that one go", it would be an affront to the very idea of sport. That's what I was referring to. And the only time that I've thought that any of that might be happening was with the Kovy penalty. It just seems out of step with the league's other actions.

:puke:

I do not undertand how these signing bonuses do not go against the 'spirit of the cba'.

Because the Flyers are paying essentially $1 of real money for every $1 of cap money.

The Devils were guilty of circumvention because Kovy's original contract was essentially $1 of real money for every $0.8ish dollars of cap money. Kovy would have likely played maybe 13 years of his contract meaning his cap hit should have been 7.6m per year, when on paper it would have been 6m per year.

The signing bonuses still count against the cap, it still counts in the adjusted average, from that perspective the first year is essentially 14m dollars. The only difference is Shea get's the money at the start of the season and not spread out during the course of it like most players.

Because the Flyers are paying essentially $1 of real money for every $1 of cap money.

The Devils were guilty of circumvention because Kovy's original contract was essentially $1 of real money for every $0.8ish dollars of cap money. Kovy would have likely played maybe 13 years of his contract meaning his cap hit should have been 7.6m per year, when on paper it would have been 6m per year.

That argument doesn't fly when Weber's getting paid $107 million over 11 years, then $3 million total over the last three years. I can hardly picture him playing those last three years all at $1 million per. Over the next ten years it's $104 million total, a $10.4 average. And the cap hit's $7.8 because of the last four years.

$1 million contract and $13 million bonus each of the first four years.

• $4 million contract and $8 million bonus in fifth and sixth years.

• $6 million contract annually in seventh through 10th years.

• $3 million contract annually in 11th year.

• $1 million contract annually in 12th-14th years.

That is horrid -- so it's not circumvention because of the bonuses - but its laughable

14-14-14-14-12-12-6-6-6-6-3-1-1-1 (Weber)

vs

12-12-11- 9- 9- 9-9-9-8-6-2-1-1 (Suter + Parise)

I don't think it's that crazy. Shea is better defense man then Ryan, probably more valuable then Zach too.

KatieStrangESPN

#NYR Rangers were also on Shea Weber's short list; d-man RFA visited NY recently, ESPN NY has learned. Story to come

#NYR Weber liked NYR org -- ownership, hockey ops, coaching -- but prospect of living in Manhattan was main deterrent

That argument doesn't fly when Weber's getting paid $107 million over 11 years, then $3 million total over the last three years. I can hardly picture him playing those last three years all at $1 million per. Over the next ten years it's $104 million total, a $10.4 average. And the cap hit's $7.8 because of the last four years.

Shea Weber will probably be playing hockey when he is 38,39 and maybe 40. Kovalchuk is pretty unlikely to be playing at 42,43,44,45.

The problem is not getting paid less in your final years, that's been well established as kosher by the league, the problem is adding low paying years when it's not reasonable to expect the player to still be playing.

Unfortunately, the NHL and the aribitors found it completely unrealistic that a player would play until age 44. There have been plenty of players who have played until 40, which was their argument.

But I agree, the realistic expectation is that Suter, Parise and Weber won't play after age 37 or 38 for what would amount to chump change compared to the 98% of their contract dollars that have been already paid.

Edited by Z-Man

Unfortunately, the NHL and the aribitors found it completely unrealistic that a player would play until age 44. There have been plenty of players who have played until 40, which was their argument.

But I agree, the realistic expectation is that Suter & Parise won't play after age 37 or 38 for what would amount to chump change after getting paid 98% of their contract dollars already.

It is funny that the 4 guys over the age of 40 that signed this off-season all have an annual cap hit of $4.5 million.