Opening Night White

DaneykoIsGod

Alot of people are too individualistic to do stuff like that. I played along and even wore a white hat that I dislike. It could have been cool if it worked but stuff like that is "above" Devils fans.

If they had "get sh!tfaced drunk" night, though, we'd probably have 100% participation, if it was held on a weekend.

When you hand someone a free white shirt as they are entering the arena, what more can you do to get them to wear it? The idea was good and it didn't fail, the fans who decided not to participate failed..

It all comes down to team spirit. If the franchise wants the fan base's help and the fans themselves dont meet them half way then it is completely OUR faults as fans.

I think alot of people are "afraid" to be loud, chant, and wear a "free" t-shirt. Plus, I would venture to say that alot of people have the mentality of: "I paid alot for this jersey, I am going to wear this over a free t-shirt."

Still, its fun. Team pride, dont be an a$$hole.

Coyotes do it from their Winnipeg days when they did 'White Out', and home teams wore white. No good reason for Penguins,

Well it kinda makes sense for the Penguins with the whole penguins living in icy areas, ice being white, a white crowd would kinda be like an icy environment for Penguins. Am I stretching this too far? Either way, makes sense to me for a team that for years played in an arena nicknamed the Igloo.

When you hand someone a free white shirt as they are entering the arena, what more can you do to get them to wear it? The idea was good and it didn't fail, the fans who decided not to participate failed..

No, this was most definitely a bad idea. You have a team that's been preaching Rock Your Red and Get Your Jersey On, that wears a red jersey at home in an arena that's decked out in red including red seats and it's the home opener, so 17,000 people who haven't seen their team since April want to wear the jerseys they wore last year or possibly bought over the summer. Then the team tells everyone to wear white and hands out a t-shirt. Most of the people there had no idea there was going to be any sort of white out and just took the shirt as a souvenir.

Saying that fans 'failed' is absurd. Dude, I agree with you on 99% of things, but I just don't think the team thought this one through. Red t-shirts would have been a total success.

No, this was most definitely a bad idea. You have a team that's been preaching Rock Your Red and Get Your Jersey On, that wears a red jersey at home in an arena that's decked out in red including red seats and it's the home opener, so 17,000 people who haven't seen their team since April want to wear the jerseys they wore last year or possibly bought over the summer. Then the team tells everyone to wear white and hands out a t-shirt. Most of the people there had no idea there was going to be any sort of white out and just took the shirt as a souvenir.

I've read this a few times so far and i think it's time to put to bed the "white out" and the correlation with white jerseys. One has nothing to do with the another. Winnipeg did it to create an intimidating effect in return for Calgary's "C" of Red. It just so happens they thought white would be more intimidating then blue.

I think you'd have to be pretty much living without internet access to know there wasn't a white out happening vs the Flyers.

The fans of this team are just not into this sort of marketing and that's the harsh reality.

Edited by SJP20

I've read this a few times so far and i think it's time to put to bed the "white out" and the correlation with white jerseys. One has nothing to do with the another. Winnipeg did it to create an intimidating effect in return for Calgary's "C" of Red. It just so happens they thought white would be more intimidating then blue.

I think you'd have to be pretty much living without internet access to know there wasn't a white out happening vs the Flyers.

The fans of this team are just not into this sort of marketing and that's the harsh reality.

I definitely agree with that last point. I don't think this is the kind of fanbase that goes for that stuff. We definitely have our share of passionate fans, but it's never gonna be a Calgary or Winnipeg style atmosphere. Well, atleast not every night. In those areas, hockey is the only real game in town. It's just different here.

"Color-outs" aren't for passionate fans, it's a hokey thing. The reason Devils fans won't do that kind of thing, for the most part, is that they think they're above it.

But at the same time, alot of the same people aren't above coming in drunk enough to blow a .3 and then they unleash 45 forms of "motherfvcker" at the top of their lungs during the game. :lol:

"Color-outs" aren't for passionate fans, it's a hokey thing. The reason Devils fans won't do that kind of thing, for the most part, is that they think they're above it.

But at the same time, alot of the same people aren't above coming in drunk enough to blow a .3 and then they unleash 45 forms of "motherfvcker" at the top of their lungs during the game. :lol:

And our "passionate" fans cannot sell out the arena except a few times a year and most of those games are with the help of our rivals fans.

We just have a lot of sh!t fans.

Possibly, but as I posted in the GDT, the white out was mentioned while I was on the light rail between Broad St. and Penn, and most of the people riding with me said they didn't know anything about it.

You know I have to say... It would have been nice if the majority of our fans weren't stubborn douche bags and just wore the god damn shirt. It was something that the team thought would be cool, everyone got a free t-shirt that looks pretty nice, and of course maybe 40% of the crowd complied. I knew they would hand out a size shirt that didn't fit me so I dug out an old white jersey which was the first Devils jersey I ever had and squeezed into it just to support the team. Our fans are so counter-productive it's quite embarrassing. I feel like if the team told us we should wear red, most of you would wear purple just to revolt.

+1

The shirts were actually descent, although a couple of sizes too big for me. I wore a white Niedermayer jersey from 10 years ago, but even if I didn't have one, I would have wore the shirt they provided. It just seems like our fanbase will do the exact opposite of what they are asked to do at all times, regardless of the circumstance. The fail isn't with the team, it's with our fans (when they ask us to wear red, 1/2 of the fans wear white or blue - when they ask us to wear white, 1/2 of our fans wear red or black).

Plus, the fact that the "supporters section" all wore red and didn't wear the t-shirt says alot.