New Playoff Format/Divisions

MadDog2020

I agree moving teams to the divisions in their area (like the Jets to the West) but all these name changes etc.....too much.

I don't think it's that many changes.  The Pacific and Central Divisions already existed, they just renamed the Northeast Division to the Atlantic so that it can make sense to include the Florida teams, and they came up with a new name for our division.  Also I don't see why Metropolitan is such a bad name.  Sure it can be used to describe any city, but we aren't talking about cities, our division is the most metropolitan of the four divisions, so the name fits. 

Everyone is complaining about this, but does anyone have any better ideas?  I couldn't think of any.

I don't think it's that many changes.  The Pacific and Central Divisions already existed, they just renamed the Northeast Division to the Atlantic so that it can make sense to include the Florida teams, and they came up with a new name for our division.  Also I don't see why Metropolitan is such a bad name.  Sure it can be used to describe any city, but we aren't talking about cities, our division is the most metropolitan of the four divisions, so the name fits. 

Everyone is complaining about this, but does anyone have any better ideas?  I couldn't think of any.

Mid East.

The new playoff format is horrendous. This is old MLS playoff bad. Amazing how the NHL changes more important aspects of the game then any of the other top 4 leagues. What a joke.

I love the idea of divisional play-offs, but hate the potential cross-overs at the bottom.  Just go top-4 in each division.  If you finish 5 and have a better record than the 4th place team in the other division, then too bad.  Just like in the NFL when a team misses out on a wild-card with a better record than another team that wins their division.  Thems the breaks.

Mid East.

That would be worse than Metropolitan considering what most people in this country associate with the Mid-East.

I love the idea of divisional play-offs, but hate the potential cross-overs at the bottom. Just go top-4 in each division. If you finish 5 and have a better record than the 4th place team in the other division, then too bad. Just like in the NFL when a team misses out on a wild-card with a better record than another team that wins their division. Thems the breaks.

That would be worse than Metropolitan considering what most people in this country associate with the Mid-East.

But the problem is at of all of the things that has been right with the NHL for a long time now has been the current playoff format. I just don't see why they had to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

But the problem is at of all of the things that has been right with the NHL for a long time now has been the current playoff format. I just don't see why they had to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

If we were on the west coast, we might have been saying the playoffs were broken.

I don't buy that argument. Since 1994 when they switched over the format the Western conference teams won 11 times compared to the eastern conference winning 8 times.

The west has also been better though, imo. We've been one of the few consistently good franchises, and there have been a couple of stacked teams in the west (Colorado and Detroit especially). 

I disagree.  The divisional play-offs were great in the 80s and early 90s.  Rivalries were much more intense.   Plus, the problem with the current format is in most cases teams are better off finishing 6th than finishing 4th or 5th.  When you finish 6th, you are more likely to draw a weaker team in the first round than if you finish 4th.

There's no way Pittsburgh and Philly were getting split up, nor should they.  The object wasn't to get all of the Easternmost teams in the same division at the expense of rivalries.

They had no problem moving Detroit away from Chi and St Louis abd Dal or Fla/TB away from Car

Detroit also gets to play a ton of Original Six teams they weren't playing much before (Boston, Toronto, Montreal) in exchange for the Chicago one going bye-bye.  Chicago's really the only one that lost in that equation.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I just don't understand why Fla and Tampa are in Atlantic instead of Metro and Pitts & Columbus are not in Atllantic

Changing the Atlantic to Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto is mystifying. They saved three regional names and added the Metro Division. I would've honored history and gone back to the classic divisions (Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe). Having 16 teams in the East is unfair. The conference is much stronger with the additions of Columbus and Detroit. It just became much harder to make the playoffs. Eventually, they'll expand to 32 with possible destinations in Portland, Seattle and Kansas City.