Is it time to trade Cory Schenider?

William D'Aquila

To sum it up in one word, no. There was a similar thought process last year when Lundqvist struggled and Talbot was on a roll. You just don't trade number 1 goalies due to a couple of hot games by an unknown backup. 

"Hey I drove home drunk TWICE without getting caught maybe that's a good idea and I should do it all the time?"

Well, statistically speaking, if you're 0/2 on getting caught and you extrapolate that out, it means you'll never get caught. So go ahead, totally do it all the time, lol.

Trading Schneider would be a mistake.  Do people forget that not too long ago we had almost no goalie prospects or defensive prospects? Remember when our goalie prospect pool consisted of Jeff Frazee and that's it?  Remember when our defensive prospect pool consisted or Eckford, Corrente, Burlon, Urbom, and Taormina?  

People seem to forget that Lou has been rebuilding for a few years now.  We just recently got Kinkaid, Wedgweood, and Clermont along with our great defensive prospects we now have.  Now we have Cory Schneider as our goalie.  He's the present and the future goalie for this team.  Trading him will move us backwards in the rebuild not forward.

Rebuilding takes time,  Lou has found ways to start the rebuild even prior to when we started sucking.  We've got the backend foundation set.  Now it's time to work on the front end.  But trading Schneider is not the way to do it.

Wedgewood and Clermont aren't really prospects.  There's a reason why Lou went out and coughed up an upper first-rounder to bring Schneider in, even though he knew he would have to sign him to pretty significant money and term to keep him here.  Wedgewood has largely been awful with Albany to date, and Clermont isn't tearing it up for his team either.  Kinkaid has been a nice (though short) story so far, in that the Devils are finally getting something out of one of their AHL goalies.  Ahonen and Frazee couldn't even bring back a warm body. 

As for the young D...yeah, there's reasons for hope, but the jury is out on all of them, especially Gelinas...I wouldn't say the Devils are "set".  No one can say what the Devils have just yet with their young D...it's going to take some time. 

I thought this thread was another Billy Boy outlandish special at first. Then I started thinking about it. I don't think it's "time to trade Cory" but I don't think he's untouchable.

In this league, a good goalie isn't as valued as they used to be. Teams can win with average goaltending now more than ever. I don't think his premise is that far off. If we had someone plainly average waiting to step in and Cory could be the centerpiece to a trade for an offensive dynamo, I would strongly consider moving Cory.

And lay off BB already. It's good to have different perspectives here, regardless of how outlandish it may come off.

To sum it up in one word, no. There was a similar thought process last year when Lundqvist struggled and Talbot was on a roll. You just don't trade number 1 goalies due to a couple of hot games by an unknown backup.

This actually reminded me of Lundqvist/Talbot last year with the kid playing circles around the vet. Of course Lundqvist hadn't yet signed long term, while Cory just inked his extension. He's not getting traded this year before his extension kicks in, nor is he getting traded months into his deal next year. Its silly to even speculate on trading Cory before the end of next year.

Lou isn't going to trade Schneider. Lou always builds around a goalie. Lou still believes that he has gotten the players to play in this system. He expected a slow starts with young D. He still believes in DeBoer and doesn't know of a better replacement and knows he doesn't have the players for a new system. He is going to go with what he has and hopes that with home games and the injured coming back that they can string some wins together and with the weak division we can get into a good run for the playoffs.

That being said Lou won't be making any big moves now.

Oh man, if this is an actual thread on NJDevs (never thought I'd see the day), I'm terrified to hear what will be said by the idiots at The Rock tonight. It's to the point where my view of our own fanbase is plummeting as quickly as my view of the team.

This actually reminded me of Lundqvist/Talbot last year with the kid playing circles around the vet.

And even THAT was a larger sample size than Kinkaid's two. The intrigue lasted a couple months over a good amount of starts.

Edited by DJ Eco

Oh man, if this is an actual thread on NJDevs (never thought I'd see the day), I'm terrified to hear what will be said by the idiots at The Rock tonight. It's to the point where my view of our own fanbase is plummeting as quickly as my view of the team.

And even THAT was a larger sample size than Kinkaid's two. The intrigue lasted a couple months over a good amount of starts.

Cory is getting booed tonight, I'd put money on it. He's already been booed once or twice at least.

Cory is getting booed tonight, I'd put money on it. He's already been booed once or twice at least.

I've gotten in at least 3-4 shouting matches the past month with this one dude who tries to start a "WE WANT MARTY!" chant after every goal, in Section 119, followed by "SCHNEIDER YOU fvckING SUCK!"

I've gotten in at least 3-4 shouting matches the past month with this one dude who tries to start a "WE WANT MARTY!" chant after every goal, in Section 119, followed by "SCHNEIDER YOU fvckING SUCK!"

A couple games ago I was sitting 3 seats away from a person in his 60's who kept shouting "You suck Cory!" and "Mawty iz better!" through the entire game.  When Cory made a big save, he would be sitting in his seat with a sour look on his face.  This was in section 123.

Don't tell me there are no Cory bashers.

If you want to entertain trading a goalie for top end talent, I can potentially understand. If you want to entertain trading a goalie because of Keith Kinkaid playing well in a few games, well...that wouldn't be wise at all.

Remember why the Oilers might desperately want goaltending. They gambled on a Scrivens/Fasth combo. Scrivens was coming off an excellent 40 game sample of  a.922 save percentage. .894 goalie right now. Fasth had a nice rookie season of .921 hockey in 25 games. .891 save percentage this year.

Maybe the Devils shouldn't help the Oilers fix their problem and gamble by creating the very same problem and gamble for themselves. 

Some people are going to be fixated on that and it's unfortunate. They need to understand that time moves on. Marty has played 3 games so far with St Louis and won 2 of them. He's also not started the last 2 games (both Blues wins). Hitchcock knows what he's doing and what he's got over there.

A couple games ago I was sitting 3 seats away from a person in his 60's who kept shouting "You suck Cory!" and "Mawty iz better!" through the entire game.  When Cory made a big save, he would be sitting in his seat with a sour look on his face.  This was in section 123.

Don't tell me there are no Cory bashers.

That is idiotic and speaks of the stupidity of our fan base. Cory does not suck, in fact, he is very good to great on some nights. The question that is up for debate is can Kinkaid replicate Cory's performance on most nights? In the small sample size thus far the answer is yes. Will that continue in starts 3, 4, 5, et cetera? I'm not sure, but I certainly hope so and believe it to be likely. 

Great goalies can appear out of nowhere. If we look back at Vezina winners over the past 14 years, the data shows goaltending development is not skewed towards draft position.

Hasek 10th round

Theodore 2nd round

Brodeur 1st round

Kipruosoff 5th round

Thomas 9th round

Miller 5th round

Lundqvist 7th round

Bobrovsky not drafted

Rask 1st round 

Some people are going to be fixated on that and it's unfortunate. They need to understand that time moves on. Marty has played 3 games so far with St Louis and won 2 of them. He's also not started the last 2 games (both Blues wins). Hitchcock knows what he's doing and what he's got over there.

Cory's the new Kovy. Even Kovalchuk was getting booed and yelled at when HE WAS THE LEADER IN POINTS ON OUR TEAM. Unbelievable...