Urbom claimed off waivers by Washington then by Devils from WSH

Marshall

fvcking awesome. and here we may have lost another potential good player for fvck all with bad management. Keep it going Lou

It would suck a lot more if we didn't have Merrill, Severson and Gelinas. It's a shame but in the end it's probably not a very big loss.

I dont care what anyone else is saying but Lou's roster management has stung the team quite often in the last few years. Either he's carrying too many mediocre guys over others who deserves more and get players scratched and really frustrated. Either we're over the limit with a guy on IR and the room knows someone has to get traded and there's a dark cloud over their heads. Or we keep losing guys on waivers for nothing.

I'm somewhat happy for Urbom he may finally have a shot but it would hurt to see him develop into a really good player in our divisions. But the worst to me is that we lost him for nothing while he could have been a good player in the future for us or a good piece of a package to get something.

I had a feeling someone like the Capitals (Oates) or Sharks (Robinson) would claim him. They know his potential and have seen him firsthand.

I hate to say it but this one's on Deboer. All we had to do was send Gionta down, even for a short time til things were figured out. But no, we have the CBGB reunion again and a whole 5th line of players to boot. Lou isn't going to move a player who's part of a line that Pete's that adamant about. Lou's hands were tied, who else is he gonna send down?

I had a feeling someone like the Capitals (Oates) or Sharks (Robinson) would claim him. They know his potential and have seen him firsthand.

I hate to say it but this one's on Deboer. All we had to do was send Gionta down, even for a short time til things were figured out. But no, we have the CBGB reunion again and a whole 5th line of players to boot. Lou isn't going to move a player who's part of a line that Pete's that adamant about. Lou's hands were tied, who else is he gonna send down?

i dont agree with the hand tied thing, both had to give and i'm sure Deboer didnt want to risk losing a player (who based on camp was more NHL ready than the rest of our youngsters) just to keep that line together. There was ways to handle that case better and they certainly pick the right one. It's on both of them equally to me

Tough loss, but Urbom wasn't able to beat out Larsson, Fayne, or Taormina. I think he's got potential but he needs to be in an organization where he can play, and that wasn't going to be here, even if he had stayed.

Unfair seeing how Urbom wasnt even twenty at the time

This is one of those things that won't make or break your future but it's irritating that Urbom is a causality of Sal and Volch. It's also interesting to note that the only "defensive defensemen" left in the system are Helgeson and Santini

Tough loss, but Urbom wasn't able to beat out Larsson, Fayne, or Taormina. I think he's got potential but he needs to be in an organization where he can play, and that wasn't going to be here, even if he had stayed.

This is one of those things that won't make or break your future but it's irritating that Urbom is a causality of Sal and Volch. It's also interesting to note that the only "defensive defensemen" left in the system are Helgeson and Santini

I dont care what anyone else is saying but Lou's roster management has stung the team quite often in the last few years. Either he's carrying too many mediocre guys over others who deserves more and get players scratched and really frustrated. Either we're over the limit with a guy on IR and the room knows someone has to get traded and there's a dark cloud over their heads. Or we keep losing guys on waivers for nothing.

I'm somewhat happy for Urbom he may finally have a shot but it would hurt to see him develop into a really good player in our divisions. But the worst to me is that we lost him for nothing while he could have been a good player in the future for us or a good piece of a package to get something.

Urbom was never going to be worth much once he was waiver-eligible and couldn't consistently crack the Devils' lineup, and with guys coming up behind him who have more potential and who seem like better players, he was likely to be squeezed out eventually.  As Lou said, if guys force him to make room, he will - he would've dumped Fayne if he thought Urbom could do that job, but I don't believe that Urbom could.  The real issue here is the waste of Josefson's ELC when he was 19 - if Josefson isn't waiver-eligible, the Devils could send him down, IR Tedenby, and at least float Urbom along for a bit.

Who have the Devils lost on waivers that's any good?  I mean - ever?  Am I blanking on someone?

DJ:  DeBoer doesn't have control over the roster.

Don't be dramatic. With the glut of young defensemen knocking on the door, it's not a terrible loss. I say that as a fan of Urbom. I was hoping he'd make the jump this year, but it just didn't happen.

But... Who has to get traded? What dark cloud? Every team loses guys on waivers. It's just a way of hockey. It's unfortunate to lose him as I thought he had some potential and I much rather would have sent down Gio, but he wasn't going to play here.

Again, good player, sorry to see him go, but this reminds me of when Taormina left and every one lost their damn minds about it.

I still think they should have put Harrold through waivers instead. They clearly did not want to lose Urbom.

At the same time, Gelinas is going to be in Urbom's position next year. As long as we've got the veterans + Larsson + Fayne, the Devils will be doing this for the next few years anyway. Urbom probably isn't even as good as Gelinas or Merrill anyway.

Urbom is likely not better than either guy, though.  And indeed, Urbom was 21 when in 2011-12, Matt Taormina was given 30 (!) games in the NHL, whereas Urbom received only 5 - Taormina had beat him out on the depth chart.

I think this came down to not being able to move Volchenkov, and not wanting to move Salvador.

Fayne was moveable, and he's not playing for this head coach so might as well have moved him.  But hey we can watch Urbom walk now and Fayne walk this offseason.  It would be kind of hilarious Oates of all people (someone who actually saw Urbom play) was the one to claim him if they weren't a division rival now.

Urbom was never going to be worth much once he was waiver-eligible and couldn't consistently crack the Devils' lineup, and with guys coming up behind him who have more potential and who seem like better players, he was likely to be squeezed out eventually.  As Lou said, if guys force him to make room, he will - he would've dumped Fayne if he thought Urbom could do that job, but I don't believe that Urbom could.  The real issue here is the waste of Josefson's ELC when he was 19 - if Josefson isn't waiver-eligible, the Devils could send him down, IR Tedenby, and at least float Urbom along for a bit.

Who have the Devils lost on waivers that's any good?  I mean - ever?  Am I blanking on someone?

DJ:  DeBoer doesn't have control over the roster.

I was not only referring to other guys we lost on waivers. Just an accumulation of all players in the last few years "we wanted to keep" but lost for nothing for wtv reasons (out of our hands or not, we're not gonna start a debate on this again) but yeah... Not the best business model to keep on losing assets for nothing and have to replace them from scratch. Thats my point

Don't be dramatic. With the glut of young defensemen knocking on the door, it's not a terrible loss. I say that as a fan of Urbom. I was hoping he'd make the jump this year, but it just didn't happen.

But... Who has to get traded? What dark cloud? Every team loses guys on waivers. It's just a way of hockey. It's unfortunate to lose him as I thought he had some potential and I much rather would have sent down Gio, but he wasn't going to play here.

Again, good player, sorry to see him go, but this reminds me of when Taormina left and every one lost their damn minds about it.

im refering to the dark cloud Lou admitted himself he created the Maclean year when Elias was on IR and someone had to get traded to fit under the cap and we were playing a player short... ridiculously bad roster management and Lou himself admitted it.

I was not only referring to other guys we lost on waivers. Just an accumulation of all players in the last few years "we wanted to keep" but lost for nothing for wtv reasons (out of our hands or not, we're not gonna start a debate on this again) but yeah... Not the best business model to keep on losing assets for nothing and have to replace them from scratch. Thats my point

Your point is all over the place.  The Devils haven't lost free agents because they have too many players.  Urbom is a small asset at this point - I mean, it'd be nice to have him in the minors, but he's clearly been beat out by other guys.  

#Caps have claimed defenseman Alexander Urbom off waivers from the New Jersey Devils.

fvcking awesome. and here we may have lost another potential good player for fvck all with bad management. Keep it going Lou

Holy overreaction Batman. My God, calm down.

I think this came down to not being able to move Volchenkov, and not wanting to move Salvador.

The Devils couldn't move Salvador even if they wanted to, he's got an awful contract.
  • Like 1

The Devils haven't had any great losses to waivers.  I don't think Urbom is one either. 

There's always a first - and tossing away a prospect on the cusp is never fun. 

I also don't think the "Great! Lost him for NOTHING!" tantrum really has any teeth.  If the team could have gotten something for him, they would have.