Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

The Mets almost made the comeback last night down 6-0 and fell short and lost 6-5. It was just a bad series for the mets who should have taken 3 out of 4 games in that series if they really wanted to make a push for the WC and the division with Philadelphia losing 2 out of 3 with the Giants.

The Mets swept the Cardinals last time they played in Citi Field and hopefully they can take the next two games vs. the Cardinals. It will be tough tonight as the Mets always find a way to lose against Pinero. With Santana on the mound they have to get him this win and run support tonight.

LETS GO METS!!!

Lineup tonight vs the unhittable Joel Pineiro:

Pagan, cf

Castillo, 2b

Wright, 3b

Sheffield, lf

Murphy, 1b

Francoeur, rf

Cora, ss

Santos, c

Santana, lhp

- also, reyes returned to NY to see a doctor... what great news. i hope they are smart enough to shut him, beltran, and maine down for the rest of this year... they are rushing these guys back as if they are within 4-5 games (at most) of a playoff spot. the mets' front office seriously needs a reality check and needs to face the fact they are better off not rushing these guys back at all.

( all info per adam rubin: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets )

Edited by nmigliore

Absolutely shut Reyes down...but it seems like Beltran is pretty much determined to come back on his own and is really pressing. Seems like he has something to prove.

4-3 Cards now, game over. Johan just can't finish innings off after 2 outs. And this doesn't just happen against the Pujols and Hollidays of the world, but every team.

Edited by '7'

Absolutely shut Reyes down...but it seems like Beltran is pretty much determined to come back on his own and is really pressing. Seems like he has something to prove.

if beltran comes back and aggravates that bruise even more he'll need surgery that will force him to miss the 2010 season. thats ALL this team needs...

anyway, i was about to argue santana's fastball/changeup velocity has been different, but it really hasn't:

2007 avg fastball velocity : 91.8 mph
2008 avg fastball velocity : 91.0 mph
2009 avg fastball velocity : 90.8 mph
---------------------------------------
2007 avg changeup velocity : 81.7 mph
2008 avg changeup velocity : 80.1 mph
2009 avg changeup velocity : 81.3 mph

i guess its just his location/control that has hurt him (which makes sense since both his BB% and hits/9 are up).

Edited by nmigliore

if beltran comes back and aggravates that bruise even more he'll need surgery that will force him to miss the 2010 season. thats ALL this team needs...

anyway, i was about to argue santana's fastball/changeup velocity has been different, but it really hasn't:

2007 avg fastball velocity : 91.8 mph
2008 avg fastball velocity : 91.0 mph
2009 avg fastball velocity : 90.8 mph
---------------------------------------
2007 avg changeup velocity : 81.7 mph
2008 avg changeup velocity : 80.1 mph
2009 avg changeup velocity : 81.3 mph

i guess its just his location/control that has hurt him (which makes sense since both his BB% and hits/9 are up).

Yea, that's what I keep hearing on TV from GK&R, that his velocity is down. I don't know what could cause is control to get screwy. Maybe his release point is a bit off. That or he's just disinterested with the Mets sucking so much.

Somebody needs to step in and talk to Beltran, because with our luck he'll end up needing that microsurgery. And I enjoy watching Pagan play. He's quick and covers a lot of ground in center, pretty baserunner (dumb mistakes at times but he has speed and that stuff can be corrected) and has a sweet stroke from both sides of the plate.

Pagan thrown out at 2nd as was Cora. But at this point why not, you have 3 run lead be aggressive and try to push across some more runs.

Edited by '7'

Somebody needs to step in and talk to Beltran, because with our luck he'll end up needing that microsurgery. And I enjoy watching Pagan play. He's quick and covers a lot of ground in center, pretty baserunner (dumb mistakes at times but he has speed and that stuff can be corrected) and has a sweet stroke from both sides of the plate.

Pagan thrown out at 2nd as was Cora. But at this point why not, you have 3 run lead be aggressive and try to push across some more runs.

I know I really like Pagan too.. I dont wanna go overboard on him because I dont think hes a starter but he seems like hes a terrific 4th OF'er to have around when healthy.

I dunno how this comparison may be but I kind of view him as a poor-man's shane victorino (yes we all hate that little bastard but he is good)

edit: gotta give creds to Santana.. 4 ER but yet gutting out 7 innings and only at 91 pitches.. he'll be out there for the 8th for sure.

Edited by nmigliore

eh.... only the mets. im gonna take a wild guess castillo is done for the year.

make it 5 ER now as pujols crushes one like every opposing batter seems to do now at Citi when they hit a HR....

Edited by nmigliore

ha the mets' med-staff will be lost with that one.. as gary said that can be a couple days or a few weeks

fwiw here are the call-up options from AAA, assuming they call-up a SS or 2B: ss/3b javier castillo, 2b argenis reyes, 2b andy green .. of those 3 only reyes is on the 40-man roster.

Edited by nmigliore

im sorry, but frankie just strikes me as a closer with God-awful control who just gets by because of his stuff.

at least wagner never walked many and made you beat him by actually hitting his stuff... frankie beats himself with his weak control.

fvcking Frankie.

God really hates the Mets, and the amount he piles on is just obscene.

im sorry, but frankie just strikes me as a closer with God-awful control who just gets by because of his stuff.

at least wagner never walked many and made you beat him by actually hitting his stuff... frankie beats himself with his weak control.

awful, goes up 0-2 and then just throws 3 wildly out of the zone and hangs a curve. He's like the closers version of Oliver Perez.

Where will Pujols impending bomb land? another one inside the apple? maybe to the shake shack? upper deck in left?

I just fvcking hate the cardinals. Even guys long gone I still associate with them. Eckstein, Taguchi, Molina, Chris Carpenter, Spiezio

Edited by '7'

Murphy how the fvck do you strike out on a curveball that pretty much bounces 10 feet in front of the plate

I'm done with them. Wilpons should just forfeit the rest of the season. Gutless pukes.

I really dont know what the future of Daniel Murphy is... I doubt it its in the Mets' system.. Ike Davis is a top 5 prospect now and he seems destined to be the future 1B. Has great power and has put up the best numbers out of the 1B draft class of last year..

Edited by nmigliore

I wonder if they'll try him again at 2nd. Other than that there's no place to put him. Maybe one day he'll round into a .280 guy who walks a lot, but I doubt he'll ever develop HR power...he'll never hit 20. He may end up being traded to the AL and be a DH on a weak team.

Time for a full organizational cleanse, because they're falling apart similar to the 2004 bunch. This team is seriously being stalked by evil spirits and needs to start over, and the signal that change is in air needs to be made now. At least fire Omar to give the franchise a breath of fresh air, then go after the GM you want and let him pick his manager.

the amount of bad luck this team has had to endure since the Endy Chavez catch is almost...impossible. The odds of what happened to them the past 3 seasons is like 1 in 1 trillion.

Edited by '7'

I wonder if they'll try him again at 2nd. Other than that there's no place to put him. Maybe one day he'll round into a .280 guy who walks a lot, but I doubt he'll ever develop HR power...he'll never hit 20. He may end up being traded to the AL and be a DH on a weak team.

if he could move to 2B that would be great.. unfortunately i dont think they will do it though.

Time for a full organizational cleanse, because they're falling apart similar to the 2004 bunch. This team is seriously being stalked by evil spirits and needs to start over, and the signal that change is in air needs to be made now. At least fire Omar to give the franchise a breath of fresh air, then go after the GM you want and let him pick his manager.

eh depends on what you mean... i wouldn't clear out the core.. like Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Santana are all the best you will get at their respective positions.. though i would consider dealing Reyes if they can get an overwhelming package in return.

but after that... who can you trade to change things? We dont have a catcher, first baseman, or left fielder next year.. that leaves: Castillo? Francoeur?

Edited by nmigliore

God, could this day have gone any worse for the Mets? Lose a 7-4 lead with K-Rod blowing the save, Murphy with a crap AB in the bottom of the ninth with two on, five runs in the tenth with Jerry shooting the whole wad and using his entire pen and to top that off the Castillo thing. It's to the point where it's actually getting amusing now.

Edited by Hasan4978

I will agree that this team needs a completely new front office.. Jeff Wilpon needs to cut ties with Minaya and Co. and Jerry too (I know its not really Jerry's fault but he always makes questionable managerial decisions and you need to just get rid of him).. Bobby V is a 'free agent' get him in here now...

and word of advice, im not trying to be racist, but, lets sign a WHITE GM this time... thanks.