GDT: New Jersey @ Detroit - 4/5/12

NJCroMag

And we also got Tverdovsky from that trade too. Yeah he was on his downside of his career and was a liability, but still he was a pretty decent 6/7 defenseman IMO. On this team he might be #4 defenseman.

It's funny, I remember listening to the WFAN when Arnott and McKay (I think draft pick too) were sent to Dallas for Langenbrunner and Niuewendyk (don't know how to spell his name without looking it up), and I was like "WTF?!" I was pissed.

I wasn't as angry when Sykora was dealt, but it felt so surreal to see the dismantling of the A-line happen so quickly. There was a lot going on with those guys...Arnott had his "A" taken away before being moved, and Stevens was apparently furious with Sykora for not trying to play through an injury in the '02 playoffs (he missed 2 games of that series). Supposedly Stevens saw Sykora walking with relative ease in a hotel lobby and growled "If you can walk, you can play!" Sykora was pretty much a dead man walking at that point.

It's funny, I remember listening to the WFAN when Arnott and McKay (I think draft pick too) were sent to Dallas for Langenbrunner and Niuewendyk (don't know how to spell his name without looking it up), and I was like "WTF?!" I was pissed.

I wasn't as angry when Sykora was dealt, but it felt so surreal to see the dismantling of the A-line happen so quickly. There was a lot going on with those guys...Arnott had his "A" taken away before being moved, and Stevens was apparently furious with Sykora for not trying to play through an injury in the '02 playoffs (he missed 2 games of that series). Supposedly Stevens saw Sykora walking with relative ease in a hotel lobby and growled "If you can walk, you can play!" Sykora was pretty much a dead man walking at that point.

I believe Marty took a shot at Sykora in his book for the same injury issue....

Yeah I remember hearing about the Sykora incident about his injury during that year's playoffs. He had sort of a reputation for being soft during those years.

I also remember hearing that the friendship between Sykora and Elias had gone sour around that time as well.

What it all means is that, for all of the fans who still wonder why Lou moved Arnott and Sykora, he clearly had legitimate reasons for making those deals...and both of them paid off heavily in 2003.

What it all means is that, for all of the fans who still wonder why Lou moved Arnott and Sykora, he clearly had legitimate reasons for making those deals...and both of them paid off heavily in 2003.

I believe some people described it as he felt the A-Line was becoming bigger than the team.

I believe some people described it as he felt the A-Line was becoming bigger than the team.

I remember that too...a lot of everyone waiting for them to score...but losing Mogilny hurt a lot too. Lou thought Dagenais would be able to step in for him, and it didn't happen.

I remember that too...a lot of everyone waiting for them to score...but losing Mogilny hurt a lot too. Lou thought Dagenais would be able to step in for him, and it didn't happen.

I remember Dagenais first game (I think it was against Buffalo in Buffalo) and he scored and I thought he showed some promise. I think with him there was an issue of his desire to play for NJ as he showed a lot more desire when he played in Montreal.

But hey, look at him now. He certainly won that scoring title in the FHL this year against career never-will-be's.

I remember Dagenais first game (I think it was against Buffalo in Buffalo) and he scored and I thought he showed some promise. I think with him there was an issue of his desire to play for NJ as he showed a lot more desire when he played in Montreal.

But hey, look at him now. He certainly won that scoring title in the FHL this year against career never-will-be's.

I think that might've been the game where he and Bicek both scored in their NHL debuts in a 2-1 win. Not 100% sure though

I think that might've been the game where he and Bicek both scored in their NHL debuts in a 2-1 win. Not 100% sure though

Possibly. I think I also remember it was the first of a road trip where they went up into Canada then for the next game or 2.

Edit: Found it. His first game was Feb 17th, 2001 where we lost 5-1 to Buffalo and he scored the only goal and Elias had an assist on it.

Edited by DevsMan84

Can't second-guess that one when one of the players who came back (Friesen) was so instrumental in helping the Devils win Cup #3.

And if you're going to reminisce about Elias and Sykora in 2000 and 2001, don't forget about 2002. Both players had significant down seasons that year, and the A-line was doing next to nothing on the road. Not saying they couldn't have bounced back in future seasons, but I don't think them getting back to '01 form would've been a slamdunk.

Not second guessing anything in that way - that's not really the spirit of what I said. The idea wasn't meant to debate the practicality of trading Sykora. Hell, it seemed like the right thing to do even when it happened. It was just a "what if" comment about 2 players that are great together.

Edited by ben00rs

Not second guessing anything in that way - that's not really the spirit of what I said. The idea wasn't meant to debate the practicality of trading Sykora. Hell, it seemed like the right thing to do even when it happened. It was just a "what if" comment about 2 players that are great together.

I hear ya...I think if Sykora had a lot of things to do over again, his attitude and work ethic would have been better toward the end of his Devil career before he was traded to the Ducks. I remember when he went to the Rangers...even then you could hear the the longing in his voice for the Devils.

I hear ya...I think if Sykora had a lot of things to do over again, his attitude and work ethic would have been better toward the end of his Devil career before he was traded to the Ducks. I remember when he went to the Rangers...even then you could hear the the longing in his voice for the Devils.

THIS in bold. Part of the reason Sykora was not a Devil for life was because he had maturing and learning to do. The reason he was moved, aside from a down slide in production, was because he wasn't fully committed to being a "Devil". It was not too long ago that he was happy to be a Ranger.