World Junior Championship

SterioDesign

A lot of Jon Merrill updates from the USA-Czech game:

1st Period

Merrill won't get an assist but he made a nice first pass through the neutral zone on the PP that lead to the first US goal. 1-0 USA

Merrill was on the ice for the Czech goal. Got stuck playing a 2 on 1 and was taking away the pass. Not a whole lot he could've done. 1-1

2nd Period

Merrill gets an assist on the 2nd US PP goal. He set up Zucker on the boards who fed a quick pass to Arnold for the goal. I like his offensive instincts. 2-1 USA

The Czech's keep answering back. Merrill's outlet pass was stolen and Hertl came in for an easy goal. 2-2

Merrill takes a bad tripping penalty to negate the US PP. Been an up and down day for him so far.

3rd Period

Miller had a huge hit on a Czech player that Merrill was covering from behind the goal line. Shortly after Archibald gets sprung for a break away, gets taken down, and then stopped on the penalty shot. Mrazek celebrated a ton after it (channeling his inner Francisco Cervelli) which seemed to rub the American bench the wrong way. Just like he did the other night against Canada.

Edited by thefiestygoat

That goal seals it. What an upset. Mrazek owned the US team. We'll see what the final shot totals look like but with 2 minutes and change to go it is 53-26 US. Just an insane performance by Mrazek.

Looks like the US will be heading to the relegation round.

Holy sh!t, Mrazek almost got himself a goal to go along with his performance!

Ugh, that was embarrassing. I don't even know if it'll be worth it to watch the Canada v. US game, it might get ugly... I was expecting a lot more from the US, but they just looked lost for most of this game. They seemed to get down on themselves after not being able to capitalize on their 3 million PP chances. They also were not nearly physical enough in all of their games. Canada has been beating other teams into submission and it's worked very well in keeping the opposing teams in check, but the US, at least their forwards almost never hit anyone in all 3 games.

US loses. Again.

What is even more disappointing than the loss today is the amount of attention this thread, aka the whole tournament, is getting by some people here. People gotta know that there is hockey outside of the NHL.

Does anyone know how Merril played? Apparently only Miller played with heart and Campbell wasn't playing great.

Edited by Mayday

meh... I love hockey and all, but I'll stick with the NHL. The national teams, international play, and foreign leagues just don't really grab me. Sorry.

Call me provincial if you'd like, I don't mind (especially since I've actually traveled the world). Stuff outside of the NHL is just too... minor league, I guess. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Of course, if the US team ends up with a chance to win the gold, and they actually get some (non-premium cable) television time, I'll gladly jump on the bandwagon. Otherwise... just can't be bothered, I guess.

3-0 Canada after the 1st. Merrill was on the ice for the first Canada goal (Canada PP) and had a turnover in his own end that lead to a couple of Canadian chances. Didn't do much of note but the US team is clearly overmatched.

Wedgewood stopped all 8 shots he faced. He wasn't tested that much but did make a difficult save when he had to. Also had another beautiful goal line to blue line pass.

The US will be in the relegation round with Switzerland, Latvia, and Denmark. The Swiss nearly made the medal round but Slovakia erased a 4-2 deficit midway in the 3rd, scoring 3 goals in 3 minutes, eventually winning 6-4. The US will play Latvia on January 3rd and Switzerland on January 4th.

• Like 1

Still 3-0 Canada after the 2nd. The US team was much better that period but as usual this tournament they couldn't bury any of their chances. Merrill had a nice block and solid period. Wedgewood stopped all 12 shots that period, giving him 20 saves so far. Scary moment when he came out of the net to clear the puck and was tripped by a sliding Etem. Nice to see him shake it off and stay in after laying their for a moment.

Damnit, Coyle beats Wedgewood ending his shutout. Had a shutout streak of 109:49.

Damnit, now Zucker scores to make it 3-2. He threw the puck on net from behind the goal line and got the deflection of Wedgewood. Still Wedgewood has been solid tonight.

Edited by thefiestygoat

What an exciting end to the game. The US came close to tying it at the end, Merrill almost set up the equalizer in one of the chances. Canada dominated the 1st period but the US came out strong in the 2nd and 3rd. The US outshot Canada 24-16 in the final two periods. Wedgewood finished with 30 saves on 32 shots.