JJ Recalled

jagknife

He won't be given many more shots. JJ can play defense a bit. Tedenby gets beat at mostly everything and half the problems seems to be himself. Him not netting goals seems to be a confidence thing. He can't get his head into the NHL level theme he shouldn't be at it. I hope he can get it but of not, Sorry buddy.

He played 4 games this season, and 4 is an exaggeration, because at the end he was just the "serve a minor" guy.   I think in that last game against Montreal he got served one, got stuck out on an extended shift and went right back to serve one.   And that was pretty much it.

He didn't do a whole lot outside of the Isles game, where he was good, but he wasn't imploding games, either.

Like I said, you can't earn a minus a game.  Josefson was close to a minus a game because his linemates (and he) couldn't score, and the goalies couldn't stop anything when he was on the ice.  He in no way 'earned' that.

Tedenby was given 4 games, which was 4 games too many.  Where's the offense?  18 goals, 25 assists in 80 AHL games.  Not much offense in Sweden.  Not much offense in the NHL.

Where's the offense ANYWHERE?   LOL.   If creating offense was a must to play for the New Jersey Devils, we might as well sent everyone home other than Greene, Zids, Elias and Loktionov.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the offense ANYWHERE?   LOL.   If creating offense was a must to play for the New Jersey Devils, we might as well sent everyone home other than Greene, Zids, Elias and Loktionov.

So I guess we should just call up Hoeffel and Wohlberg and whoever else is down in the AHL just because then.  Hard to imagine anyone playing for the Devils would be that bad in the AHL except Gionta and maybe Carter.  Tedenby is bad on defense and doesn't provide much offense.  He couldn't beat out an 18 year old for a roster spot.  He's where he belongs and if the Devils give him another camp it's because they're desperate (again).

Edited by Triumph

So I guess we should just call up Hoeffel and Wohlberg and whoever else is down in the AHL just because then.  Hard to imagine anyone playing for the Devils would be that bad in the AHL except Gionta and maybe Carter.  Tedenby is bad on defense and doesn't provide much offense.  He couldn't beat out an 18 year old for a roster spot.  He's where he belongs and if the Devils give him another camp it's because they're desperate (again).

C'mon, I don't know what the logic was with Matteau but he was way sub-NHL level and shouldn't have been there.   If that was a straight hockey decision and there wasn't some developmental reason for it, they were on crack.

Not that either of them should have particularly been there.

C'mon, I don't know what the logic was with Matteau but he was way sub-NHL level and shouldn't have been there.   If that was a straight hockey decision and there wasn't some developmental reason for it, they were on crack.

Not that either of them should have particularly been there.

Matteau was better than Tedenby.  Tedenby was horrible.  Nor do I think Matteau was 'way sub NHL'.

Edited by Triumph

Matteau WAS the best option at the time, that's the scary part.  That's why they've had to go on a shopping spree at Woolworth's to stock the forward core in-season.

Why they continued to play him even after getting some of those guys, and burned a year off UFA needlessly I have no idea though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

At the end, yes.  Still was plus territorially and got more pucks on net than Tedenby could ever hope to in that kind of ice time.

At the beginning he was playing with Kovalchuk.  It's the same thing as Nick.   He wasn't playing full games like Nick was, but they were protecting him with good linemates most of the time.

At the beginning he was playing with Kovalchuk.  It's the same thing as Nick.   He wasn't playing full games like Nick was, but they were protecting him with good linemates most of the time.

Palmieri ES shots/60, 2010-11:  6.3

Matteau ES shots/60, 2012-13:  8.1

Palmieri Fenwick %, 2010-11:  50.6%

Matteau Fenwick %, 2012-13:  52.5%

So, comparable, but Matteau knew what his role was there - drive the net.  He slowed down probably as the league caught up, but he was not way sub NHL.  Tedenby very well might be.

Edited by Triumph

Palmieri ES shots/60, 2010-11:  7.5

Matteau ES shots/60, 2012-13:  8.1

Palmieri Fenwick %, 2010-11:  50.6%

Matteau Fenwick %, 2012-13:  52.5%

So, comparable, but Matteau knew what his role was there - drive the net.  He slowed down probably as the league caught up, but he was not way sub NHL.  Tedenby very well might be.

When it came to moving the puck, receiving it and reading plays, Matteau definitely was.   I don't want to dump on the kid too much, he's an 18 year old junior and he wasn't a blue chipper that should be playing at 18 in the first place.

We're basically arguing about two very different bad players.   Tedenby can receive the puck and move it when he's not being Captain Dangles.   But if he had to take the body twice a game or more, he'd be leaving in a pine box.    I just think if you're going to draft a weird player (and they did pass on Carlson and Ennis to draft him), you have to live with the warts and develop them.   Otherwise, what's the point of drafting them?

He really hadn't done anything out of the ordinary (for him) to have the plug pulled.   

When it came to moving the puck, receiving it and reading plays, Matteau definitely was.   I don't want to dump on the kid too much, he's an 18 year old junior and he wasn't a blue chipper that should be playing at 18 in the first place.

We're basically arguing about two very different bad players.   Tedenby can receive the puck and move it when he's not being Captain Dangles.   But if he had to take the body twice a game or more, he'd be leaving in a pine box.    I just think if you're going to draft a weird player (and they did pass on Carlson and Ennis to draft him), you have to live with the warts and develop them.   Otherwise, what's the point of drafting them?

He really hadn't done anything out of the ordinary (for him) to have the plug pulled.   

BTW I got a number wrong there, Palmieri was at 6.25 shots/60 at ES that year.

If the Devils want to keep going with Tedenby, fine, but he has done zero to demonstrate that he has NHL potential besides his first 25 NHL games.  The list of players with those sorts of numbers in the AHL in their Y-20, Y-21, Y-22 seasons who went on to be, say, regular 40 point players in the NHL is limited.  If a guy's going to be real good, he should smash the AHL - the AHL is for future 3rd and 4th liners.  Not many guys who end up being top players go there anymore.

His zone defense in Game 4 earned him the heave-ho - he had absolutely no idea what he was doing.  Both DeBoer and Lou cited this, implicitly, when they talked about the decision to send him down.  Lou said:  "He’s just got to settle down a little and go to Albany and have some success and get his game under control because he’s certainly a prospect.

It's probably better if he goes to an international league next year because then he's not waiver-eligible and if he becomes something, they can get him back.  I don't think he'll become something, though.

Edited by Triumph

Matteau was better than Tedenby.  Tedenby was horrible.  Nor do I think Matteau was 'way sub NHL'.

You weren't watching the games my friend. Teddy also played on those awful lines with barch and/or janssen, but lets leave that part out huh. and when he was on a line with patty he created scoring chances. but youre overwhelming hate for our prospect has your blinders up. 

You weren't watching the games my friend. Teddy also played on those awful lines with barch and/or janssen, but lets leave that part out huh. and when he was on a line with patty he created scoring chances. but youre overwhelming hate for our prospect has your blinders up. 

Our prospect probably won't be playing here next year.  I don't have 'overwhelming hate' for him, he's just not very good and probably won't amount to anything in the NHL.

I think with Teds, it's important to remember he's generously listed at 5'10" by the NHL, while he's probably much smaller.  Did Brian Gionta put up ridiculous numbers while in the AHL? No. Giving up on a prospect player while he's still young is a little foolish.  I'd be more inclined to believe your claims about Tedenby if we could compare the microstats numbers of Gionta with Tedenby when they were of similar age.  This doesn't account for Teds poor defense either though.  There's still a chance for this kid.

I think with Teds, it's important to remember he's generously listed at 5'10" by the NHL, while he's probably much smaller.  Did Brian Gionta put up ridiculous numbers while in the AHL? No. Giving up on a prospect player while he's still young is a little foolish.  I'd be more inclined to believe your claims about Tedenby if we could compare the microstats numbers of Gionta with Tedenby when they were of similar age.  This doesn't account for Teds poor defense either though.  There's still a chance for this kid.

I'm a Tedenby Homer, if you will. I want him to succeed (hello nationalism) but while Gionta dominated at college, Tedenby hasn't dominated since the J20 level. 

In the end, I think he went over too early. Then again, he might just not be cut out for NA hockey. If he went back to the SEL I'm sure he'll be a good top 6 forward for HV71.

Our prospect probably won't be playing here next year.  I don't have 'overwhelming hate' for him, he's just not very good and probably won't amount to anything in the NHL.

I would have to agree with this.  Teddy's just not strong enough right now.  He has the talent, but gets pushed off the puck way too easily.  Maybe he can develop that strength and puck control, but it's a long shot.  Until he does, he's not an NHL player.  He also has a weak shot, but there are plenty of NHL that don't have a great shot (Parise is one) and overcome that by scoring goals through being in good position all the time.

Combine all that with the fact that he is horrible in his own end, and it doesn't look good for his long term viability right now.  Hopefully he will be a late bloomer and develop into a top 6 guy, but I'm not holding my breath on that.