Has Adam Larsson Really Improved as a Defenseman?

Devs3cups

I think relative to his draft position, Larsson is indeed a bust. But he can still be a reliable defenseman who can contribute.

We've had this discussion in another thread, but no, he is not. He went 4th. He's a second pairing guy already, and could very easily be a top pairing guy in the next year or so. That's about what you expect with the 4th pick.

I think relative to his draft position, Larsson is indeed a bust. But he can still be a reliable defenseman who can contribute.

Even for his draft position, he is far from a bust.   It takes a least three years in the minors for a rookie to be prepared to play defense at the NHL level.

Larsson is 21 and already at that level.    Devils are doing exactly the right thing in developing him.   

In fact, Larsson is the only Defensemen in the top 30 picks in 2011 to be on an NHL roster.    From the 2010 class, only 2 of 8 (Fowler & Gudbranson) have made it to their NHL teams.

Even for his draft position, he is far from a bust. It takes a least three years in the minors for a rookie to be prepared to play defense at the NHL level.

Larsson is 21 and already at that level. Devils are doing exactly the right thing in developing him.

In fact, Larsson is the only Defensemen in the top 30 picks in 2011 to be on an NHL roster. From the 2010 class, only 2 of 8 (Fowler & Gudbranson) have made it to their NHL teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as that last part goes- Dougie Hamilton made the Bruins and I'm pretty sure Jonas Brodin was a top 30 pick that year too and he made Minnesota.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as that last part goes- Dougie Hamilton made the Bruins and I'm pretty sure Jonas Brodin was a top 30 pick that year too and he made Minnesota.

You are correct Sir. 

I didn't see Hamilton on the depth charts, since he has been on IR, but yes, he is the #5 guy on a healthy Bruins D, which in my opinion is the best in the league.  It will interesting to see how they use him with Seidenburg out for the year.  But they are doing the same as we are with Larsson.

Brodin, I totally forgot about.  But he has been rushed since Minnesota is so bad on D.   Suter putting in 30+ minutes a night say's a lot of about the lack of confidence in the rest of the squad.

Brodin could've won the Calder Trophy last year given how well he played.  This year he has not played very well.

Hamilton was also exceptional last year and is very good this year - he's being underused by the Bruins.  I think it is unlikely that Larsson turns out to be as good as Hamilton, but there's still time.

I always want him to play more physical. He's a big dude, I wouldn't mind seeing him throw his weight around a little more. 

He's skinny. I'm hoping as he gets older he fills out a little bit more, so he has some weight to throw.

The thing that makes me nervous about Larsson is that we've been so patient with him but Gelinas has looked much better immediately and Merrill is getting there.

Gelinas has also had a few professional years in the AHL, keep in mind.

Merrill has not though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The thing that makes me nervous about Larsson is that we've been so patient with him but Gelinas has looked much better immediately and Merrill is getting there.

Gelinas is two years older, and he has not looked better the last 10 or so games.  His shot is way better but he's been helped out by how well he was playing offensively - now that he is spending more time in the defensive zone, it's rather ugly.

Gelinas also had 'at least' two years in the AHL, an advantage Larsson never had since they ran him into the lineup as an 18-year old.  Merrill's had time in college and the AHL the last three years, though I don't really think he did his full apprenticeship yet either, and if we keep playing him like he's Chris Pronger eventually he's going to fall by the wayside like Larsson his rookie year.

my one thing comparing Larsson to Gelinas and Merrill is that, of course we know they are both older and got in the league later with some pro experience while Larsson came in right away adjusting to a new ice size and all and he sticked around.

But even in the last few years i've been watching those 2 guys (especially Gelly since he was playing junior an hour from my place) but, i could "see" what those guys would/could bring, only a matter of adjusting to NHL level... with Larsson im still wondering and looking. And what posters are pointing out is mostly homers talk and typical prospects overhyping, i may have missed 3-4 games in the last few years and while his "passing" and outlet pass is obviously better than Volchenkov or Salvador, it really never jumped to me that it was elite or even better than any other Devils Dmen.

anyways, let's hope he do become a strong dman, its still encouraging that he made the league this young and all. But Myers also made the league pretty young and won the calder and he's horrible since. 

So? Doughty made the league early and he's amazing. It's easy to cherry pick.

Well if you wanna talk Doughty. Doughty has always been Doughty. Hitting guys, fast, scoring/producing, ran the PK, good skater, creating plays, playing with an edge etc etc he was like that juniors/when he got drafted.

The Kings fans never had to tell themselves that one dayyyy he might start producing, hit more, get faster, skate better etc etc that the just needed time, they got lucky he adjusted pretty quickly. Could have come only after 4-5 years that he would have become a player (in the NHL) like he was and be the kind of player he should be, doing all the things he got drafted for.

I think that's the only "knock" on Larsson that some folks are pointing out, he simply doesn't have anything sticking out of his game and some areas are missing in action.

Again im not saying he'll be a bust or wtv. He's an NHLer for sure but im not gonna sit here saying what im seeing is that encouraging or showing promises so far, other than that he can handle the game, of course thats great but fair to say expectations we're a little higher for him. Might be unfair to him but thats what it is

We always knew Gelinas had a bomb and that Merrill had good vision and offensive instincts. Thats what they'll be for NJ. Take that out of them and they wouldnt be much. And to me i dont see Larsson having that one skill compensating from his skating/lack of speed etc etc

i mean, again im not bashing him not its "fair" of fans to be hesitant based on what they saw so far and shouldnt be called out for pointing it out.

Edited by SterioDesign

So? Doughty made the league early and he's amazing. It's easy to cherry pick.

Yeah, pretty silly to point out one guy like Myers, as though his current path is any more significant than anyone else's.  One could also pick examples of defensemen who got off to less-than-expected starts, but developed over time.  Still very early in Larsson's career, but it kind of sucks that he's only played in 57 NHL games the last two seasons (out of a possible 89).   

Main thing that's disappointing right now is that he's hurt.  Good, bad, or a work-in-progress, I just want to see him getting more and more NHL minutes under his belt. 

I would. Absolutely. The Devils need to use the strength of talented D prospects as a tool to make this team better. This team BADLY BADLY needs young and fast talent up front.

of course but could we target someone else than a young russian with attitude problems who already threatened to leave for russia within 2 years in the league? i mean... i'd trade for RNH, Hall, Eberle or wtv but not Yakupov.

Edited by SterioDesign